Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Sicker Than H1N1

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
Funny, because it's easily one of the most over-hype, unoriginal and mundane games I've played in awhile.

$60 for a 4 hour single player campaign and a botched multiplayer, no thanks. The SP would've have exceptional, had it been released a few years ago. It's just recycled Cod4, nothing new here. The visuals are pretty good, but nothing amazing or ground breaking. I do love the sound track.

MP is a botched piece of trash. Why us PC players have to use some broken console match making system is beyond me. My ping is pretty decent, but the lag is very noticeable. Hackers are rampant, and with no kick/ban option, you're only choice is to leave the match and find a new one.

And they want $60 for this? haha
Quoted for truth
I would have bought this for the PC, but after the removal of dedicated servers I've been boycotting. MY roommate bought it for the PS3 (he's boycotting just the PC version, but his b-day was the same as the release day and the money was burning a hole in his pocket) so I've seen and played quite a bit of this game.

As I almost never play console games online I didn't realize how truly awful matchmaking is. It seriously takes out about half of the fun of playing online. Playing with random people, having to deal with the same maps right in a row sometimes, lack of customization, 12 people on one map sucks, server problems from time to time, the long wait in between matched. I seriously can't say a single good thing about matchmaking except maybe the ease of access.
So right off the bat my online experience is killed (yeah, single player, I know, that's not what I want the game for), but maybe if the rest of the game is killer it will make up for it right? They missed the mark on that one, mainly because there are so many terrible maps. The only one I really like is the airport one and the quarry, the rest are pretty bland. Now lets look at the other aspects of the game, I think we all agree that the original MW was great so I won't bother touching the controls since they are pretty much the same.

Kill streaks: This was something I wasn't very fond of in the old game, but yeah, I understand why you have it there, but now it just feels over loaded, so many of them it's ridiculous.
Death streaks: Great idea, just poorly implemented. Yeah, sometimes I die a lot, but I don't really feel like any of these are rewarding at all, they will almost never help the poor player. I guess they arn't too bad because they arn't overly cheap though.
Guns: Why did you ditch so many of the old guns? I don't understand why game companies always have to throw away some of the tried as true stuff, I know some people would complain that they are in there, but people want options and why not give them some of the stuff that they loved in MW1? That said I haven't unlocked too many of the guns yet, but I'm not enjoying any of them yet like I enjoyed the MP5, M16, or M4 Carbine in MW1. one huge up though is that the **** guns feel so much nicer in this game.
Perks: not really any complaints here.
Bleed out screen: OMG, this is terrible, the blood splatters that layer up on your screen make it nearly impossible to see sometimes and is extremely annoying. While I wasn't overly found of the one in MW1, this is a huge step backwards.

All in all, is it a huge step forward from MW1 to MW2, no, not really. And when it is package with such a terrible multiplayer system (sorry console players, but matchmaking really does suck) and mixed with crappy maps, those two things alone are enough to turn what was a great game (MW1) to a mediocre one (MW2). Yeah, MW2 doesn't suck, it is hardly a terrible game and can be quite fun, it's just that it doesn't touch what we got with MW1, which was very disappointing for me as I was expecting a lot from this game.

And lolz, my roommate is back to playing MW1 on his PC, I think I will join him :D

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Are you being serious?
I think he is being serious as he said he is a console only gamer so he wouldn't know anything about the luxuries of an actual gaming community with dedicated servers.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I'm enjoying the game.

I only wish it had Nazi Zombies.

Honestly, I don't see those complaints about the matchmaking. It puts you into a game with other people playing, how can that be a bad thing? I don't get it.

The maps are going to grow with expansions, they'll do what they always do, release map-packs every few months to milk a few more bucks out of you.

As for the streaks, the death streak is a great idea. I love all the rewards, logos and the accomplishments at the end of each match where it tells you what strengths you had in the game.

It sucks there is no dedicated PC server. It's a business decision, nothing personal. I'm sure it's just not profitable enough for them to maintain it.

Complaining about the 'death' screen with the blood splatter... It's supposed to be annoying - you were just shot! Bullets in your flesh are probably annoying.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
It sucks there is no dedicated PC server. It's a business decision, nothing personal. I'm sure it's just not profitable enough for them to maintain it.
If anything this would increase costs as the majority of the DC's for PC games are maintained and financed by gaming communities.

Now they have to finance and maintain ALL the servers for the entire world. IDK how this would work for people in other countries trying to play online. Usually you have dedicated servers that you play on regionally, are they going to load balance servers for hundreds of countries?

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Honestly, I don't see those complaints about the matchmaking. It puts you into a game with other people playing, how can that be a bad thing? I don't get it.
Poor latency. 9v9 max player count. No server tools.

Also consider the massive communities that spawn from some popular dedicated servers. Those are gone in MW2.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Poor latency. 9v9 max player count. No server tools.

Also consider the massive communities that spawn from some popular dedicated servers. Those are gone in MW2.
Yup....

No mods, projects, and custom maps.

Lack of control over jackassery.

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
I'm enjoying the game.

I only wish it had Nazi Zombies.

The maps are going to grow with expansions, they'll do what they always do, release map-packs every few months to milk a few more bucks out of you.

As for the streaks, the death streak is a great idea. I love all the rewards, logos and the accomplishments at the end of each match where it tells you what strengths you had in the game.

Complaining about the 'death' screen with the blood splatter... It's supposed to be annoying - you were just shot! Bullets in your flesh are probably annoying.
With dedicated servers you are just put in the game and playing, match making takes time to find the other people, which on occasion can screw up and take several and you end up sitting in the lobby wait. The server can go down in the middle of playing and you have to wait for it to reconnect to a new server. I'm not saying that matchmaking is bad, it just that dedicated servers do it better.

As far as my opinion on dlc...Shipping a game with plan for dlc is a corporate move more than anything else. To me it says we can ship this game without some content because we know you will all be willing to buy it later. I'm not a consumer wh*re, so no thank you, especially for $10.

I'm also not arguing against the death streak, I just think they could have done a better job with it. Right now it feels kinda tacked on and not like something you will go, "sweet, now I have a cool perk!" Once again, not saying it's a bad idea or that I dislike it being in the game, I just think it could have been much better. I can understand arguments towards kill streaks though.

As for taking out dedicated servers being a corporate decision, yes, it was a big decision that pretty much proclaimed that they (Infinity Ward/Activision) is moving away from PC. They gave us an option that cost them most likely a bunch of extra time and money, but they sure made one hell of a point. They want control in their hands, they don't want mods, and they don't want to have to hand out DLC to the PC players for free. Major corporate decision, but total **** move. As this is a audio site I'm sure a bunch of people love certain speaker companies because they will go out of their way to make sure you are happy and give the consumer what they want, regardless of whether it is the best option $$ wise. This builds loyalty and fan bases. This is the opposite of what Infinity Ward/Activision are doing.

Oh, and for the blood splatter, It's a game, I don't want to be annoyed no matter how "realistic" it is. And I can't really speak from experience since I have never been shot, but I am pretty sure that when you shot it doesn't look like you are wearing glasses that have just been sprayed with red kool-aid. And how a person who wears glasses, even if that's what happens, it wouldn't even look that annoying because your focus doesn't go onto the droplets but beyond them. Arguing for this is just plan silly, seriously, think about it :D

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
They are just too quick! and a MAJOR loss with the lack of team control

I love the COD series, have played every one of them in at all the different difficulties over and over again. I am more into the older COD games though as I am a big WW fan, not so much the more recent wars. Would like to see a full on Vietnam War version too though, they could really do something with the underground fights as well as Heli. (Mind you COD4 had some great heli fun with them big cannons that would take out thermal images from 1000 yards.)

I just find that they are over SO fast though. Being so linear you just run through it beginning to end, skip dinner and it's all over in one sitting.

Even tough it is a good story line, the WW series had more focus on the story line rather than just making up how people flip and flop to various regions of the world in order to introduce some map/location variety.

There were so many battles and skirmishes during WWI and WWII that they could make an endless series of them, without venturing into the more modern war gaming world that everyone else does.

I must add though, Brothers In Arms, where you can control your team members is incredile, wish they'd add that functionality to COD too, it would make it a bit harder and less linear, more tactical.

COD is great, but just too easy and too linear, though I love to watch it play out.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I must add though, Brothers In Arms, where you can control your team members is incredile, wish they'd add that functionality to COD too, it would make it a bit harder and less linear, more tactical.
I thought Brothers in Arms was excellent :)

S

shoryuken

Audioholic Intern
Way Sicker

I just got my copy yesterday....I wish i didn't have work today, almost called in sick....haha

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Choices?

I finally purchased this game today. Now, do I open this up right now and play it all night or do I choose to ask for this as x-mas gift and have to wait to play it in 21 days? I have already waited this long :confused:

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Got the game about a week ago.

The graphics are very good, the sound is very good as well.

The story is messy, but above average for video game fare. Does it live up to the hype? I don't think so. There's nothing really "wow" about it, IMO. The production values are pretty high, and it's certainly a very competent game, but really nothing new. It is fun though, while it lasts.

The fact that it's been so hyped i think goes more to the lack of quality titles this holiday than anything else.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I currently play this for hours on end on PC, and I got it on launch day. The multiplayer is a huge improvement over the original, though the matchmaking is a bit slow.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I can't stop playing this game. I bought it on launch day but didn't get to play till two days later thanks to the fact I bought it on Steam. I have not been this addicted to a game in a long time. I haven't finished the campaign yet but it is awesome so far. I have been too sucked into multiplayer and getting that next rank, accolade, or mastering my next weapon. I've leveled up to 68 so far. Me and a friend are in a race to rank up which keeps me playing more than I probably should. I just mastered the FAL assault rifle this weekend and that was not an easy feat considering I really dislike that gun (getting 40 penetration kills proved very difficult).

If one does not play this game online he is missing out on a lot. Matchmaking can be slow and quite annoying at times, especially when I have the urge to play a particular map and it doesn't show up on matchmaking all freaking day and instead plays the same three maps over and over! I do wish dedicated servers were an option but matchmaking hasn't turned out to be as bad as many had feared. The game picks horrible hosts here and there but it works well most of the time.

Last edited:
Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I can't stop playing this game. I bought it on launch day but didn't get to play till two days later thanks to the fact I bought it on Steam. I have not been this addicted to a game in a long time. I haven't finished the campaign yet but it is awesome so far. I have been too sucked into multiplayer and getting that next rank, accolade, or mastering my next weapon. I've leveled up to 68 so far. Me and a friend are in a race to rank up which keeps me playing more than I probably should. I just mastered the FAL assault rifle this weekend and that was not an easy feat considering I really dislike that gun (getting 40 penetration kills proved very difficult).

If one does not play this game online he is missing out on a lot. Matchmaking can be slow and quite annoying at times, especially when I have the urge to play a particular map and it doesn't show up on matchmaking all freaking day and instead plays the same three maps over and over! I do wish dedicated servers were an option but matchmaking hasn't turned out to be as bad as many had feared. The game picks horrible hosts here and there but it works well most of the time.
I got it on the 12th for the "steam launch date" so I got to play immediately. I love the FAL, it's one of my favorite weapons. I use iron sites and a heartbeat sensor on it and that is my sniper rifle of choice. My favorite gun overall though seems to be the Magnum, as when you play with it in Hardcore mode it will easily kill someone on the other side of the map on Estate and it will do it in one shot. The SCAR is my next favorite, next to the M16, and the mini-uzi for shooting cappers through walls.

What's your steam ID?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

Man, I better stay away from this thread, haha. My brother is loving this game too. He wants me to play it, as he wants to play with him via multiplayer, and thinks that I'd be good at this kind of thing. He's even considering buying me an xbox. I think I talked him out of it. You see, I have an obsessive personality. The last time he talked me into a video game (and he's even kept me up in my own room, when I'm trying to sleep!), was Starcraft, and when he finally did convince me (as it took him a while) I must have lost over a thousand hours of my life.

When he brought this game over to my place, and threw it up on the HT, he was laughing diabolically. Yeah, this game could also mean exorbitant bulb costs, lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis