Buying Blu Ray MOvies anymore?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That's the point.

I think 4K has benefited the industry much more than the consumer.

I think discs have better picture and audio than the streamed version. I buy a disc if I think it something I will watch again.
Agreed on all points, but I do think there are some consumer benefits to 4k.

For myself, I will only buy a disc if it is something that I know I will rewatch, or if it is something I am curious about and happens to be really cheap.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if you can download an actual Blu-Ray version of the movie with 1080p resolution and DTS/DD audio at around 10GB size per movie, then I think both the video and audio quality will be every good compared to the BD disc.

But if the download is highly compressed w/ AAC audio with a size less than 5GB, then it will definitely not be close to being as good as a BD disc.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I only buy the blu-ray or UHD if I really love the movie but it is true my Samsung KS8000 tv does an amazing job with my Sony x800 player on normal blu-rays so regular blu-rays make up most of my collection over the UHD 4K HDR10 discs.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I only buy the blu-ray or UHD if I really love the movie but it is true my Samsung KS8000 tv does an amazing job with my Sony x800 player on normal blu-rays so regular blu-rays make up most of my collection over the UHD 4K HDR10 discs.
How much difference do you notice bluray vs uhd? I only ask because I haven't noticed enough to justify the cost of uhd. Uhd does by all means look better but i've noticed is the uhd looks flawless with a soap opera effect but it's not my cup of tea. I'm using an xbox one s.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well Steven Kings IT was just amazing in HDR10! I’m not saying there isn’t a difference but when you can get a blu-ray at half the price of a UHD, it’s hard to justify for normal movies when the upscale on the Samsung is so good. Now I have a 65in, on 75 or 80in I’m sure UHD is more important. Let’s get an NHL team awarded to Seattle and I’ll go to 75in! :)

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I still buy BD especially when I can get big discounts for movies I really like. I have a small collection of UHD disks and enjoy them quite a bit but I've never watched the 4K then BD to see if there is a difference...I watch to enjoy the show not to look for differences.

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
I Purchase 4k whenever possible. Some titles are not available, but choice seems to be improving!
There is NO comparison audio wise. ATMOS discs far superior to streamed.
As far as picture, Planet Earth 2 is awesome, .....
Netflix et al are not full 4k. Fortunately, my isp speed is terrific, wifi speed is 178 mps, no buffering!
I prefer to have the physical media though. I DO believe it will all be streaming someday...alas!

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I Purchase 4k whenever possible. Some titles are not available, but choice seems to be improving!
There is NO comparison audio wise. ATMOS discs far superior to streamed.
As far as picture, Planet Earth 2 is awesome, .....
Netflix et al are not full 4k. Fortunately, my isp speed is terrific, wifi speed is 178 mps, no buffering!
I prefer to have the physical media though. I DO believe it will all be streaming someday...alas!
I buy 4k Atmos titles exclusively on Vudu. For one, even with good vision, I cannot reliably see much difference between 4k at Blu-ray bitrates and whatever bitrates vudu uses, and two, I cannot hear any difference between truehd and DD+ Atmos encodes on vudu.

I don't own a 4k Bdp, but I've streamed some 4k demos at 50+ mbps from my pc server and fail to see much benefit beyond streaming. For the most part I don't really spring for 4k over HD unless the Atmos version is exclusive to the 4k version, which unfortunately happens too often these days. My display isn't HDR capable, and while 4k looks much sharper than HD, it's not a massive difference.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis