Buying Blu Ray MOvies anymore?

M

memanuel70

Enthusiast
With all the digital downloads now and a lot of them in UHD now is it really make sense to buy Blue Ray disk anymore , just wondering think of switching to digital downloads?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't gone 4k yet but just got an Oppo 203! I think it makes sense if streaming 4k is anything like streaming 1080p....the disc is better. Where I live the internet isn't capable of even 4k to begin with let alone what I've got already (have a 1080p setup). I've always preferred disc/ownership.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't seen a download that appears as colorful, clear, or sounds as good as a disc, yet.

I'll be buying physical media for quite some time!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ive bought two 4K blurays and the difference between them and the upscaling done by the 4K on regular bluray is not worth the cost premium to continue to purchase 4K material.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ive bought two 4K blurays and the difference between them and the upscaling done by the 4K on regular bluray is not worth the cost premium to continue to purchase 4K material.
Curious, which two? Do you stream 4k?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I will continue to buy the discs into the foreseeable future. Then I know for sure it will be a solid video at 1080p and HD audio. No hoping, guessing, and paying premium to streaming services of dubious streams.
Just what I need in the middle of a movie is a pause to buffer. No thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Justice League and BladeRunner 2049
Wonder if that's generally true of green-screen/cgi type of movie making....is it the same for more camera-only film-making? Wonder if yours is the general experience with the 4k blurays?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You would need a large screen and a close viewing distance for 4k to have a real advantage over 1080p.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I realize that and that's why I stood up close to the screen and watched it. Still not that much of an improvement.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't buy as many discs as I used to, but I still buy ones I intend to enjoy multiple times and expect the highest quality from. Streaming is great for things I don't care about the quality of video or audio, where it is just content mainly, like TV shows. But for film, I expect excellent video and audio and for that I need the disc.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't buy as many discs as I used to, but I still buy ones I intend to enjoy multiple times and expect the highest quality from. Streaming is great for things I don't care about the quality of video or audio, where it is just content mainly, like TV shows. But for film, I expect excellent video and audio and for that I need the disc.
This!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

You would need a large screen and a close viewing distance for 4k to have a real advantage over 1080p.
What might be noticed is the HDR and Color boost that may be on the disc.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Why? Because 8K will be out the following year? LOL

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I can see an improvement when switching between 4k and 1080p on the same movie using a 55" TV seated 9.5' away. I also feel upscaled 1080p to 4k looks better than a 1080p TV, even though upscaling doesn't add more detail, the improvement in smoothness/sharpness and lack of a "screen door" effect are very noticeably better to me.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Why? Because 8K will be out the following year? LOL
But there won't be an Oppo for that. Consumers aren't really likely to jump on board with it. Many question the need for 4K at home already. For average watching, like typical fluff TV shows, news, etc... there is certainly no need. Maybe when you get to nature shows, sports, film, then you benefit.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's the point.

I think 4K has benefited the industry much more than the consumer.

I think discs have better picture and audio than the streamed version. I buy a disc if I think it something I will watch again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis