Buying a new tv today

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
So over the last year I tried a Vizio OLED which I had for a week and absolutely hated than got a Samsung QN85a which is a great tv for what it is but only because I got it for $900 with an open box+employee discount. For the original $1800 they wanted for it they’re out of their minds. Anyway today I’m going to get either an LG C1 OLED 65” or something similar? The G1 looks great but it’s a lot more money for what doesn’t seem like an equal amount of quantifiable performance. Any thoughts?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
There's Sony's Master Series OLED, but as you probably already know they cost more. LG's OLED are really good also. Guess it comes down to how much money you want to spend when it comes to the top tier TVs. As you know nothing beats a OLED. My son has Sony's 77" Master Series OLED 2019 model.

Just a note, yeah LED QLED can't come close to OLED. They say oh the black's come close, I call BS, once you know what to look for on QLED, no going back to not noticing it. Blooming halos gray washed out areas of very dark areas. Yeah paying 1500 for a Q-LED is BS. 1K is about the most I'd send on any LED, mini quantum dot whatever they're not worth paying more money in the long run.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
There's Sony's Master Series OLED, but as you probably already know they cost more. LG's OLED are really good also. Guess it comes down to how much money you want to spend when it comes to the top tier TVs. As you know nothing beats a OLED. My son has Sony's 77" Master Series OLED 2019 model.

Just a note, yeah LED QLED can't come close to OLED. They say oh the black's come close, I call BS, once you know what to look for on QLED, no going back to not noticing it. Blooming halos gray washed out areas of very dark areas. Yeah paying 1500 for a Q-LED is BS. 1K is about the most I'd send on any LED, mini quantum dot whatever they're not worth paying more money in the long run.
Yeah, no matter what they come up with for LCD display technology it can't and never will match OLED. They will never produce those black levels because it's an inherent flaw in the LCD technology.
I have a mini-led and it's great but still has it's issues. It does not match OLED in the black level department. Blooming also is an inherent technology flaw. It is what it is.
I've seen OLED in different places and it's just drop jaw gorgeous and stunning.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the input guys, for the longest time I was obsessed over maximum nits output so I had a Vizio PQ65-F1 as well as a TCL R617 both of which exceed 1000 nits with the PQ almost doubling it. I was surprised when I got my QN85 how it had a maximum output of around 1100 nits but picture quality wise and for actual HDR viewing material it looked exponentially better. I slowly and unfortunately a bit too late, realized there are so many components to an accurate and vivid HDR/DV image. That’s when I started seriously considering OLEDs as due to my misled requirement for luminance I had totally dismissed OLEDs. My neighbor has a C9 and I used it to demo the Matrix UHD Blu Ray disc, it’s a disc I use for Atmos demos when I calibrate and setup others systems so I’m very familiar with it. I was blown away by the differences in picture quality and contrast enough to say outloud “Holy poop I need to get an OLED” and so the adventure began.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, no matter what they come up with for LCD display technology it can't and never will match OLED. They will never produce those black levels because it's an inherent flaw in the LCD technology.
I have a mini-led and it's great but still has it's issues. It does not match OLED in the black level department. Blooming also is an inherent technology flaw. It is what it is.
I've seen OLED in different places and it's just drop jaw gorgeous and stunning.
Yep, I was gonna pickup Sony's 65 X90J, last year came close to getting it. They where going anywhere from 1099 to 1599. Rated good, but found a Hisense 55 U6G for 670 with tax, rated very close to the Sony for half the price. It's good, but not even close to a OLED. I will have a OLED by the end of this year. Sony has their new line out of OLED's XK model's. Samsung is making their own panels now. I believe Sony will be using Samsung's panels.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OLED starts out less bright than LCD and it gets dimmer over time. So those great blacks come with a penalty. LCD will never match those deep blacks for sure though. QD-OLED seems to be where things are heading right now, but with it only in the first generation, I'd hold off on buying that tech until others adopt it and it has had at least a generation.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
OLED starts out less bright than LCD and it gets dimmer over time. So those great blacks come with a penalty. LCD will never match those deep blacks for sure though. QD-OLED seems to be where things are heading right now, but with it only in the first generation, I'd hold off on buying that tech until others adopt it and it has had at least a generation.
I totally agree with you, I saw the QD-OLED’s listed and was seriously considering splurging for one but being 1st gen at this point I would rather buy an LG that has had a few years to develop and work out the bugs so to speak

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I almost took the plunge last year and it came down to the LG C1 and Sony A80J. Sony retails a little higher but when on sale is close in price. The reviews I watched indicated that the LG was better for gaming but the Sony had slightly better picture processing. A90J compares to the G1 but not sure if the extra cost and features are worth the extra.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, I was gonna pickup Sony's 65 X90J, last year came close to getting it. They where going anywhere from 1099 to 1599. Rated good, but found a Hisense 55 U6G for 670 with tax, rated very close to the Sony for half the price. It's good, but not even close to a OLED. I will have a OLED by the end of this year. Sony has their new line out of OLED's XK model's. Samsung is making their own panels now. I believe Sony will be using Samsung's panels.
I drool at the thought of having a 77 inch OLED. They are in my price range now too but I have a 75 inch Mini-LED that is great..I can't just throw money away for heck of it.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I drool at the thought of having a 77 inch OLED. They are in my price range now too but I have a 75 inch Mini-LED that is great..I can't just throw money away for heck of it.
Yeah the 77" has come down in price. 2019 model can be had still new for around 4K plus tax. My Son's 77" 4 year's old all good no fading yet. He has 4 children from 10 year's old on down. He's gotta fight for his TV to use it. Lol. His 3 year old was using he's setup yesterday. He went to a store came home lil dude had his PS5 on which by the way he has it setup HDMI link so everything firers up. 3 year's old! He got 4 lil munchie monster's that know how to use his HT setup.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So over the last year I tried a Vizio OLED which I had for a week and absolutely hated than got a Samsung QN85a which is a great tv for what it is but only because I got it for $900 with an open box+employee discount. For the original $1800 they wanted for it they’re out of their minds. Anyway today I’m going to get either an LG C1 OLED 65” or something similar? The G1 looks great but it’s a lot more money for what doesn’t seem like an equal amount of quantifiable performance. Any thoughts?
I have had an LG C class in use for nearly three years now. It is superb and so far no issues.

If you want a state of the art TV, you have ONLY two choices: - LG or Sony. That is the only list, with no other contenders.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
77" C1 prices are terribly temping right now. But, the new C2 color gamut is amazing!o_O It's almost enough to justify the extra money. Be a shame if a brick found its way through my current TV. I'd have to go shopping.;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
77" C1 prices are terribly temping right now. But, the new C2 color gamut is amazing!o_O It's almost enough to justify the extra money. Be a shame if a brick found its way through my current TV. I'd have to go shopping.;)
LG's 65" C1 is very tempting, prices have come down a lot on it.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
6C7078D9-7E03-420E-B4DA-A3D9DAFA9325.jpeg

At PC Richard and Son. Just bought it and they’re inspecting it before we load it into my car

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OLED all day long, no doubts in my mind it is the choice today.

As they say, pay high once and cry once, pay low several times and cry several times.

That Game of Thrones episode where everybody complained it was just too dark, I had no problems seeing the shadow details on my OLED.

I'll give you another neat effect. When it is a dark scene and you have a sudden on-screen camera flash or lightning strike that makes you squint like you were really looking at lightning, that is a heck of indicator of the quality of these sets!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
View attachment 55184
At PC Richard and Son. Just bought it and they’re inspecting it before we load it into my car
How much did u get the LG C1 65 for? More pics when you get it setup. Still digging my 1yr and almost 6 months Vizio 65 M8 series. Great colors and Deep blacks. I love it.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
How much did u get the LG C1 65 for? More pics when you get it setup. Still digging my 1yr and almost 6 months Vizio 65 M8 series. Great colors and Deep blacks. I love it.
It was $1699. With tax and a 5 year extended warranty the total was $2,052.53.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
You'll love the oled. I have a 65" A90j and it's just beautiful. Due to the exceptional black levels , when a bright area is on screen it's dazzling. Contrast ratio is much more important that total brightness. Here's a great example. You can just see my receiver display in bottom left. This is in a pitch black room. The moon appears to float in space in the room .
IMG_20220120_210442_copy_1413x1060.jpg

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You'll love the oled. I have a 65" A90j and it's just beautiful. Due to the exceptional black levels , when a bright area is on screen it's dazzling. Contrast ratio is much more important that total brightness. Here's a great example. You can just see my receiver display in bottom left. This is in a pitch black room. The moon appears to float in space in the room . View attachment 55190
Yes sir, contrast ratio and in OLED's case, perfect black levels are more important. When a TV technology can do what OLED can, you don't need super brightness.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis