crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Having put aside new stereo speakers on my main system I'm forused on better sound for my tv. I have a 65" LG C2 OLED connected to a $400 Samsung soundbar but want better for streaming concerts.

So tomorrow I go to the store.

Considerimg this.with the optional subwoofer. Anyone have experience?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Uhh....for less than the price of that toy you could get an RSL Speedwoofer 10s and a pair of RSL CG3M's and really have something.
But, do what you want...when those soundbars burn out in a few years and you have to throw the whole thing away......remember, remember.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I don't want to replace my stereo.

This new thing is for very occasional concert video streaming. But it would also need to replace the regular soundbar and Sub I have for TV movies.

I need somethign between a $400 soundbar w/subwoofer I have and my main stereo that in 2023 dollars cost about $6000 over 45 years. It wouldn't make sense to connect them because I can't rally move the setup and the speakers are against the two right side walls.

A nice set of not to large powered speakers and perhaps a sub connected by optical would be my first choice. Otherwise I'd like it to be smart enough to go into standby when it's not getting an optical/audio signal and turn on when it gets one. It doesn't need to be smarter than that. But I do need to be able to fit them in somehow. I can't move this much.

I can move out DVDs. I can take the doors off the lowest part of the cabinite to the left. I can get a larger cabinet for the TV but moving the TV to the left would move the left of the screen out of sight from my computer desk.

This being the family basement, I'm not entirely free to clean up the mess on the right. But I might be able to annex about 2 feet. But a speaker much left of the TV will be blocked by my computer monitor as a bookshelf which isn't great for regular movie watching.

This is as much a placement problem as a product problem.

2023 04 28 20 47 43.jpg

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I'd like to have it setup for my birthday to watch this

I should add that the soundbar and sub are adequate and almost pleasing to listen to at high music volumes but really not yet there. If money equaled quality I'd love to double the quality by doubling the price of the old ones.

Any thoughts on a product that fits my problem?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd get an avr (used if necessary to keep costs down, as for that setup wouldn't need the latest/greatest) and some real speakers/sub rather than a soundbar myself....

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I'd get an avr (used if necessary to keep costs down, as for that setup wouldn't need the latest/greatest) and some real speakers/sub rather than a soundbar myself....
Ah, lovinthehd, you know my situation. I don't want to compete with the Allisons/Carver/NAD.

What kind of money are you thinking? $1000-$1500? Less?More I hope not.

Would an AVR likely power down after a bit of time with no signal? The soundbar and the NAD do.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, lovinthehd, you know my situation. I don't want to compete with the Allisons/Carver/NAD.

What kind of money are you thinking? $1000-$1500? Less?More I hope not.

Would an AVR likely power down after a bit of time with no signal? The soundbar and the NAD do.
I can set most of my avrs to go to sleep after a bit of time if desired but otherwise stay on. You can do well for the $ you're thinking about the soundbar, particularly with a used avr. Just better quality speakers/sub, something like an RSL 2.1 package might be a good way to go. Not about competing particularly. I just avoid sound bars if at all possible :)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
You have a Jupiter 2. (and a NCC-1701-D)
You can have a new soundbar if you want now.

You can take a look at Klipsch for soundbars....I'm not a big fan of their home speakers and subs, but they do have some nice soundbars. I have the Promedia PC speakers of thiers and they are damned impressive for what they are. Great deals on refurbs.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
The form factor is good. The price is good. I could go up one if there is a range. I wish all of the vendors would be more upfront on the inputs and outputs. One photo suggests an optical input but I can't be sure.

Thanks

I'm going to my stereo shop tomorrow with my music player and some favorites on a USB stick. See what they have. There is a Best Buy right there too but it's unlikely I could audition it like at the stereo shop. I'd need to do some research before getting anything from best buy.

I'd like to have it set up by May 8.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't want to replace my stereo.

This new thing is for very occasional concert video streaming. But it would also need to replace the regular soundbar and Sub I have for TV movies.

I need somethign between a $400 soundbar w/subwoofer I have and my main stereo that in 2023 dollars cost about $6000 over 45 years. It wouldn't make sense to connect them because I can't rally move the setup and the speakers are against the two right side walls.

A nice set of not to large powered speakers and perhaps a sub connected by optical would be my first choice. Otherwise I'd like it to be smart enough to go into standby when it's not getting an optical/audio signal and turn on when it gets one. It doesn't need to be smarter than that. But I do need to be able to fit them in somehow. I can't move this much.

I can move out DVDs. I can take the doors off the lowest part of the cabinite to the left. I can get a larger cabinet for the TV but moving the TV to the left would move the left of the screen out of sight from my computer desk.

This being the family basement, I'm not entirely free to clean up the mess on the right. But I might be able to annex about 2 feet. But a speaker much left of the TV will be blocked by my computer monitor as a bookshelf which isn't great for regular movie watching.

This is as much a placement problem as a product problem.

View attachment 61699
I honestly think the first thing to do it to tidy up the "pop shop". Until you do that, I think what you have is about as good as you can get.

If you did that you could get the TV on the wall, and have a myriad of options.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
You have a Jupiter 2. (and a NCC-1701-D)
You can have a new soundbar if you want now.

You can take a look at Klipsch for soundbars....I'm not a big fan of their home speakers and subs, but they do have some nice soundbars. I have the Promedia PC speakers of thiers and they are damned impressive for what they are. Great deals on refurbs.

Thanks. If price mean anything they are less than my current soundbar. It could easily be better but I think I'm looking for a bigger step up.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I honestly think the first thing to do it to tidy up the "pop shop". Until you do that, I think what you have is about as good as you can get.

If you did that you could get the TV on the wall, and have a myriad of options.
Ha. Couldn't agree with you more. But I have my wife to negotiate with. I'm kinda lucky to have this much space given the amount of clutter that's hers and I am not supposed to disturb.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The form factor is good. The price is good. I could go up one if there is a range. I wish all of the vendors would be more upfront on the inputs and outputs. One photo suggests an optical input but I can't be sure.

Thanks

I'm going to my stereo shop tomorrow with my music player and some favorites on a USB stick. See what they have. There is a Best Buy right there too but it's unlikely I could audition it like at the stereo shop. I'd need to do some research before getting anything from best buy.

I'd like to have it set up by May 8.
No user manuals available to review?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Just looking at soundbars (which I never do), there seems to be a real rabbit hole...once you get to a certain price, it seems they forgo sound quality for Atmos trickery.
I can see why you were looking at that BlueSound now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ha. Couldn't agree with you more. But I have my wife to negotiate with. I'm kinda lucky to have this much space given the amount of clutter that's hers and I am not supposed to disturb.
My oldest daughter has a business that helps people like your wife. Usually step on is to get the skip organized! Looks like a job for her Seriously Organized to me.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, so there is a clutter issue in the house. The reasons for which aren’t my business. You do what you can in these scenarios. I am also in the 2.1 camp here especially if you want a concert to sound good. Some nice bookshelf speakers and a sub should do it.

Now, without disturbing too much of items there, I would move a few things. That great TV needs a bit of room. The tall shelf next to it, swap it with nightstand that gas the red paisley bandana on it. Then, swap the two small tables on either side of the TV so the smaller one is on the right side and place a sub behind it. Place the bookshelf speakers on each table and move them a few inches out from the TV. Center the TV on its table.

This is about all you can do without disturbing too much of the clutter. You can also box up all of the Enterprise models and ship them to my house.;)

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I didn't mean for this to become how to rearrange crazyfinger's room but.. hey. :)

His is another limiting issue. Where I sit here there is a space between the pillar and the computer monitor where I can see the TV from my computer chair. Ideally it would go 4 inches left to be perfect. The photo doesn't really show it because the camera has only one eye and I usually have two eyes. :)

20230429_154110.jpg

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
We went to Best Buy and it was a shambles! I didn't expect much but usually Best Buy is better than Walmart. What a mess. At least it was on the way.

Then we went to my old stereo store. I listened to the Bluesound Soundbar and I didn't think that it was a lot better than what I have. I can put subs on them but now it's up to $1500 and I don't know that I want to spend that for maybe 4 times a year. I don't know but for $7xx I think that they put a lot of cost into the Bluesound part and the actual sound is not better than a $500 soundbar.

I listened to some self-powered psb bookshelf speakers and they were good but need a sub which they can attach. They do take optical inputs and are self=powered. $7xx + the sub and I'm up there again.

I also looked at a basic receiver and speakers but I have to think.... 99.9% of the time I'm watching DVDs or Bluerays of movies or TV shows. I don't know that bookshelf speakers are really the answer for the 99.9% of the time I'm listening to dialog.

I need to think about this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis