Building Floor Standing Speakers into a wall

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well as so often Geddes talks a lot of bunk. In a very live room there is probably a merit to wave guides. For most HF units I believe it is a detriment.

My in wall is wide dispersion by design. It has to be as it is a huge space, and I often listen right out in the kitchen and it has to sound fine everywhere.

You can see my in wall is very wide dispersion.

Above all it has good dispersion in the speech discrimination band, which is crucial, especially for a system that is only for music system a small percentage of the time. Good speech is essential over a wide listening area in a system like that.
I definitely do not agree that Geddes talks a lot of bunk. He is an audio scientist that uses scientific methods to investigate aspects of audio. I also think there is quite a bit of merit to waveguides regardless of the liveliness of the room. It depends on the character of sound that the user wants. There is no right answer here.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Well as so often Geddes talks a lot of bunk.
I have to agree. I've never encountered a room in any home where controlled dispersion drivers (to use the euphemism for horn drivers) made for better sound quality. Limited dispersion may be useful in large auditoriums or outdoors, but not in rooms typically found in homes.
In a very live room there is probably a merit to wave guides. For most HF units I believe it is a detriment.
This statement is unusually charitable and gentleman-like for you ;).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You know I'm a long time admirer of your work. Unfortunately, your system is in limited quantity, and to complicate further op is in Canada.

That said is RBH an available option in Canada? I'm not positive on pricing for their in wall solutions but always hear good things about the company. I know @William Lemmerhirt has been looking at in walls too and might have some suggestions. @AcuDefTechGuy, you're a RBH guy right?
That RBH stuff looks much more promising. No prices mentioned. The speakers seem potent, but the subs are wimpy. The other issue is that there is no dedicated center like my rig has. So you wold have to have all the same speakers and keep the center vertical and not lay it horizontal. My center uses a high power mid that covers the whole speech discrimination band, and has excellent speech. My in wall sub though would be the easiest to copy and reproduce. The C & C is amazing. It took the most time to put my drawing plans in the computer. We then had all three cabinets assembled plus the back boxes for my Atmos speakers in half a day. The cabinet shop was just over a 100 miles out of town, and I was back well ahead of the evening rush hour, which is bad coming from the west.

If Bill wants in walls, he lives very close to my cabinet shop at Albany MN. So he could do the job easily.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You know I'm a long time admirer of your work. Unfortunately, your system is in limited quantity, and to complicate further op is in Canada.

That said is RBH an available option in Canada? I'm not positive on pricing for their in wall solutions but always hear good things about the company. I know @William Lemmerhirt has been looking at in walls too and might have some suggestions. @AcuDefTechGuy, you're a RBH guy right?
Gene has RBH in-wall speakers and subwoofers, which use the same drivers as the RBH freestanding speakers and subs.

J

juseasy

Audiophyte
$15K for what? His proposed Paradigm speakers?
the speakers and receiver (mca-88) were 5000. there are a bunch of add-ons (which I didn't ask for) that brought the price to 14.5k

I'm just researching in wall speakers now trying to find ones that will fill a room with music.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I' don't think you've said... but how loud is loud to you? :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
These look impressive. At $3800 a pair they should be
SI-831R
Oh yeah, these babies are in Gene’s new Reference system. :D

If I were spending $15K, I would have five of these SI-831R speakers and five of the SI-1010 In-ceiling subwoofers. :D

Yeah, the SI-831R is the equivalent of the freestanding SV-831R Reference speaker, which is in the SVT towers and Gene’s $45,000 active SVTRS system.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
the speakers and receiver (mca-88) were 5000. there are a bunch of add-ons (which I didn't ask for) that brought the price to 14.5k

I'm just researching in wall speakers now trying to find ones that will fill a room with music.
I have B&W CWM 703's in my theater. I can tell you they sound amazing for movies and music. I got a hell of a deal on mine because the S2 version came out and I got the previous model. The CWM 7.3S2 goes for $1800 each. If you have a Best Buy close to you, go check out their Magnolia room. If they have their $200k show room theater, they will have the 703's installed. Just ask to demo them.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Oh yeah, these babies are in Gene’s new Reference system. :D

If I were spending $15K, I would have five of these SI-831R speakers and five of the SI-1010 In-ceiling subwoofers. :D

Yeah, the SI-831R is the equivalent of the freestanding SV-831R Reference speaker, which is in the SVT towers and Gene’s $45,000 active SVTRS system.
I'm thinking about putting 9 of these in my next build. I might need to have Gene fly up and check out what awesome looks like when it's all said and done.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm thinking about putting 9 of these in my next build. I might need to have Gene fly up and check out what awesome looks like when it's all said and done.
Nine SI-831R? :D

Oh, yeah, I forgot you are doing 9.2.4, or is it 9.2.6? :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Nine SI-831R? :D

Oh, yeah, I forgot you are doing 9.2.4, or is it 9.2.6? :D
Yeah, 9 total as of right now. 3 behind the screen, 2 on each side, 2 in the back. 4 as of right now, Atmos speakers, but may do 6. And as of right now i'll be using 2 JTR 4000 Subwoofers. Won't need to ever go to the theater again once i'm done.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
But the popcorn and junior mints!?!!
:eek:

:p
Haha, oh we'll have the new popcorn machine set up as well! Can't say we'll have Jr. Mints, but maybe peanut M&M's and sour patch kids. Have a little theater theme going on. I have to figure out which movie posters I want to hang.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis