Building a house around a home theatre system

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Here's the Infinity site.

And here's the Infinity Whitepapers page.

Thanks for the compliments about my site. Take a look at my speakers (link is on my homepage under &quot;Personal&quot;). They're my babies and I'm proud of them! Then marvel at the rest of my cheap/antique gear!</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
ThA tRiXtA : <font color='#000000'>Hey EdR - can you please explain how this equation correlates into making two subs betetr then one?

Also, do the math:  100db + 100db= 103db</font>
<font color='#000000'>No, all I'm saying that two subs playing at equal volume are only 3 db louder than one- not that much better.

What makes two subs 'better' is the ability to place them to even out the uneven bass that is almost inevidable with one- with one, the trick is to place it to get the best bass at your listening position(s), figuring that what's happening four feet from the screen you probably don't care about. &nbsp;Difficult, I've got a 35hz bump that won't go away, though in practice I never notice it and my movies sound great.</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : <font color='#000000'>Thanks for the compliments about my site. Take a look at my speakers (link is on my homepage under &quot;Personal&quot;). They're my babies and I'm proud of them! Then marvel at the rest of my cheap/antique gear!</font>
<font color='#000000'>Hi Rip,

I looked, but under &quot;Personal&quot;, all I found were pix of your trip to Mexico- looks like you had a blast
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
EdR : <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (Rip Van Woofer @ Mar. 17 2004,10:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks for the compliments about my site. Take a look at my speakers (link is on my homepage under &quot;Personal&quot;). They're my babies and I'm proud of them! Then marvel at the rest of my cheap/antique gear!
Hi Rip,

I looked, but under &quot;Personal&quot;, all I found were pix of your trip to Mexico- looks like you had a blast
</td></tr></table>
That's odd...the links should appear to the right of &quot;personal&quot; when you roll over the word. Try refreshing the home page maybe.

Those are pix from last year and yes, we did!. I have to get this year's up yet. We went to Merida, the capital of Yucatan state &amp; a bit off the usual tourist route. Cool place. We'll go back again for sure!

My copy of The Master Handbook of Acoustics just arrived and after a quick skim I can say it's money well spent.</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>how much was the book Rip?</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
ThA tRiXtA : how much was the book Rip?
$27 US. I've already read nearly half of it (albeit with some skimming over the more techy &amp; math bits). Depending on how deep you want to get into it it will need some close study and re-reading of parts. It is written for the layperson and not overly technical-- but sometimes it can't be avoided in a subject like this. With my humanities and arts background it can get heavy. Those with even a bit of a tech/math background will find it easier going IMO.

The sections on human hearing are very illuminating for understanding audio in general, btw.

Good bits on construction methods, too.</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>great, I hope it will help in designing the house plans for that particular room</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
Rip Van Woofer : <font color='#000000'>That's odd...the links should appear to the right of &quot;personal&quot; when you roll over the word. Try refreshing the home page maybe.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Ah.... pilot error on my part, I hadn't realized that your Personal page was a two parter. &nbsp;These are the Linkwitz speakers, they look cool.

Have you check into his Orion speakers? &nbsp;Considering the price includes all the amplification, they're really quite reasonably priced for what they are/claim to be. &nbsp;To me they look like the kind of thing that would be either incredibly great OR truly awful with no middle ground.
</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>yea I checked out the page, too... nice job on the speakers!

I like the shape of them</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000080'>oops sorry for the double post guys  

{edit: fixed it for ya - don't say I never did anything for you!] &nbsp;
</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
EdR : <font color='#000000'>Have you check into his Orion speakers?  Considering the price includes all the amplification, they're really quite reasonably priced for what they are/claim to be.  To me they look like the kind of thing that would be either incredibly great OR truly awful with no middle ground.
</font>
<font color='#000000'>Yes, I've looked at them but everything about them -- price, size, and complexity -- are impractical for me right now. Maybe if I ever build my basement Audio Fortress of Solitude! I'm guessing it's much more likely that they're incredibly great.

On his Prototypes page he had a two woofer (in MTM config) version of my speakers, which are simply his Phoenixes with the less expensive Vifa drivers used in mine. Those are do-able for me and in my present room woudn't need a sub (as my present ones don't). When/if I build those I'll biamp them with active crossovers. He says to use the Phoenix active crossover design but you have to change some components to match the Vifa drivers, and he leaves how to do that to you. So I need to learn enough electronics to figure that out. Hope basic hobbyist level knowledge is all that's needed.

He's removed a lot of pages from his site due to server limitations and now sells the complete &quot;old&quot; site on an &quot;Archive CD&quot;. I just ordered it.</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Hawke
</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>ThA tRiXtA

I have read in other posts that you are in the building process of your new home My advice to you is hire a
A/V or Home Theater design consultant while the walls are still uncovered this will save you much grief &nbsp; The small price
you will pay a consultant will save you from kicking yourself in the future</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I will look into that, thanks RLA</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
ThA tRiXtA : Hey guys - is this the book you are talking about?

CLICK HERE
Hi,

FYI The link is broken.</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>BAH!

Sorry guys... &nbsp;
</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>The only question is, which one?

There is three of the same book with the same name? &nbsp;
</font>

K

Kilwox

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Hey Trixta,
&nbsp; I just bought this book from Amazon.ca. &nbsp;it was onjly $39 and change CAD. &nbsp;You should check that out. &nbsp;Plus they got it to me in about 4 days!</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis