Budget Subwoofer (Singapore) help

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Hello all.

I need some advice on subwoofer selection, especially considering the limited choices here in Singapore.
The subwoofer will be part of my first home theatre. I'm looking at quality over loudness, and be playing a mix of music, games, and streaming media. I hope to have 2 subwoofers (either on the first purchase, or wait until later).
My living space is shared with the dining, and kitchen, so total volume is approx 140m3, or 5000 cu ft.
Budget is SGD$1200 (about USD$860).

I've narrowed down a list of candidates, and hoped some experience members could weigh in with their thoughts.

Polk Audio HTS12 (Dual)
SVS SB / PB - 1000 Pro (I like that you can get a wireless adapter for them)
KEF Kube 12B (KEF seems to be ubiquitous here)
Starke Sound SW15
Paradigm Defiance V12 (again, wireless adapter is an appealing factor)

This last one is above budget at SGD$1600:
Rythmik L12

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I did search for Monoprice Monolith, but pricing is insane...(the 12inch version is about SGD$5,000 / USD$3600)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I was surprised to see Starke Sound SW15 reviewed by our James (I must have missed the review earlier).
I'm also very surprised to see PB1000pro (also James reviewed) beat the SW15 to the pulp in lower bass frequencies. On that, I say PB1000pro is a better choice.
It looks like you have an XTZ reseller in SG. https://www.tritoneav.com/xtz-sound-in-balance.html
You might want to check on that. XTZ is known to deliver very good value.
I question that reseller markup, as XTZ Spirit Sub 12 is listed direct at $465(US) or about $650(SG). I'd expect additional markup for shipping/custom/reseller markup - but at $1880(SG), it seems excessive.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Of those I like the SVS and Paradigm (I have a SB-2000Pro). The PB1000 may have higher SPL ratings than the Starke, but SW15 will provide a lot of headroom when played very loud. If you won't be able play music at very high sound levels the SVS is probably the better buy unless you really like the industrial look of the Starke subwoofers. Paradigm Defiance is also a great product and reviewed well here.

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Yep. Arendal is out of my budget. Conversion, shipping, and tax puts it quite far outside.

I was surprised to see Starke Sound SW15 reviewed by our James (I must have missed the review earlier).
I'm also very surprised to see PB1000pro (also James reviewed) beat the SW15 to the pulp in lower bass frequencies. On that, I say PB1000pro is a better choice.
It looks like you have an XTZ reseller in SG. https://www.tritoneav.com/xtz-sound-in-balance.html
You might want to check on that. XTZ is known to deliver very good value.
I question that reseller markup, as XTZ Spirit Sub 12 is listed direct at $465(US) or about $650(SG). I'd expect additional markup for shipping/custom/reseller markup - but at $1880(SG), it seems excessive.
Yeah...XTZ, and Monolith seem to have crazy markups here. Others have markup as well, but to a much lesser degree.
Thank you for weighing in with the suggestion of the SVS. Would you happen to know if the wireless kit is worth it? It is SGD$200 (USD$143) here (but out of stock).

Of those I like the SVS and Paradigm (I have a SB-2000Pro). The PB1000 may have higher SPL ratings than the Starke, but SW15 will provide a lot of headroom when played very loud. If you won't be able play music at very high sound levels the SVS is probably the better buy unless you really like the industrial look of the Starke subwoofers. Paradigm Defiance is also a great product and reviewed well here.
I am a little confused by what you mean by headroom. Are you saying the SW15 is going to play louder overall?

It does seem the SVS is the best bet, so I'll see if I can get it during a sale.

Thank you guys for the input (especially as I cannot audition the SVS, as I can only find internet resellers).

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Wireless Kits are worth it especially if you want to move the Sub around to find the sweet spot near your prime sitting position, and have no cables exposed when you are done. My wife likes it in our family room setup. In an apartment it's probably going to be best to get it near you to lessen possible issues with the neighbors.

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
So, an update. I had no idea that SVS was popular here, or not well stocked.
As far as I can tell there is no stock of the PB1000, PB2000 etc. There is the SB1000 and SB2000 in stock.

However, I did come across a secondhand listing for a mysterious 12" cylinder SVS with 3 ports. Anyone have any clue what it is? There is only one picture in the post.

svs_pc12_1662805241_92ca70d3_progressive.jpg

It may be the PC-12 Plus....but the amp at the back doesn't match the image I found from SVS's website.

Thanks in advance!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
As far as I can tell there is no stock of the PB1000, PB2000 etc. There is the SB1000 and SB2000 in stock.

However, I did come across a secondhand listing for a mysterious 12" cylinder SVS with 3 ports. Anyone have any clue what it is? There is only one picture in the post.

View attachment 57901

It may be the PC-12 Plus....but the amp at the back doesn't match the image I found from SVS's website.

Thanks in advance!
Looks like a PC12 Ultra

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

View attachment 57901

Thanks in advance!
That sub is around or close to 20 years old. It is a pretty good sub I think. It is ported, so if the amp fails you can replace it with another if you can make it fit. It will need no special or custom Eq. If the price is right and it is working, then it might be a good option. Don't give more than $200.00 for it, in case you have to replace the amp soon. The reliability of these amps has improved a lot in the last 20 years.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It looks much closer to Circa 2004 SVS 20-39pci model. As Mark said, it is likely to be nearly 20 years old, so it must be considered before pricing it. It was initially sold in the US for $899. Its modern equivalent would be approximately a PC-2000 Pro.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It looks much closer to Circa 2004 SVS 20-39pci model. As Mark said, it is likely to be nearly 20 years old, so it must be considered before pricing it. It was initially sold in the US for $899. Its modern equivalent would be approximately a PC-2000 Pro.

I don't think that amp was in that series and I think it was three ports, IIRC.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@BBHT From your narrow downed list within your budget, pick what you feel is right for you. Let us know what you decide on. Good luck.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea, It does look more like an early PC12 Plus. Here is the matching image:
That dates it roughly circa 2008-2009

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
Budget be darned!
There isn't a single subwoofer included in the Op's list that's suitable for use in a 5000^3 space.

Let's source some individual components for an 18" build!

243565142_269253444967407_5534036635098899055_n.jpg
244491006_1262353764223745_5628786258915858131_n.jpg

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There isn't a single subwoofer included in the Op's list that's suitable for use in a 5000^3 space.
PC12-Plus, which should measure similarly to PB12-Plus while not AH certified for room size, but unless I'm mistaken, it should meet the Extreme rating (ie: 5k^3 space)

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
PC12-Plus, which should measure similarly to PB12-Plus while not AH certified for room size, but unless I'm mistaken, it should meet the Extreme rating (ie: 5k^3 space)
Less than a +1.5db advantage over the old PC2000, measurements placed AH cert to 3000^3. Subjective but I'm thinking still too small.

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
Budget be darned!

Let's source some individual components for an 18" build!

View attachment 57953 View attachment 57954
A few sheets of 3/4" material.
Look online for a B&C 18TBW100/4, Lavoce SAF or SAN 184.03 4ohm, Dayton UM18 or RSS460HO, or Beyma 18QLEX (All from Italy/Spain except the Dayton's)
Behringer NX6000D (Literally distributed out of Singapore)
Some finishing materials & a weekend of fun...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Less than a +1.5db advantage over the old PC2000, measurements placed AH cert to 3000^3. Subjective but I'm thinking still too small.
Corner loaded it probably be ok, but yeah, it's a big space, needs lots of subs :)

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
A few sheets of 3/4" material.
Look online for a B&C 18TBW100/4, Lavoce SAF or SAN 184.03 4ohm, Dayton UM18 or RSS460HO, or Beyma 18QLEX (All from Italy/Spain except the Dayton's)
Behringer NX6000D (Literally distributed out of Singapore)
Some finishing materials & a weekend of fun...
Originally, I was not on board with the idea of making a sub or two.
But the longer I have been looking, and researching, the more "reasonable" it seems (cost wise).

A quick google, and I found I can import the dayton um15.

I am not a DIY adept person, so I'll try to find someone who can fabricate the box for me.

In terms of design, I was inspired by the perlisten push-pull design. Is that do-able, or is it better just to go sealed / ported in design?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis