BS Polish nationalism tried to rewrite history....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Poland has nothing on our modern day allies; the Japanese:
http://www.nytimes.com/1985/12/07/world/for-most-japanese-pearl-harbor-is-just-a-footnote.html
By 1985, they had effectively trivialized that they provoked us into WW2 with them!
They have also wiped their text of all but minimal content of the massacre and "comfort women" sex-slave crimes they committed against their neighboring countries.

All in all the Germans seem to be the class act by accepting and reflecting on their history, but maybe that is because they really have no choice - being as enmeshed as they are with the rest of Europe, it'd be hard to say "I didn't do it".
I heard a guy on the radio talking about the outrage from the Koreans after the announcer on the Olympics said that Korea has benefited from Japan so much over the years and I started shouting at the radio, telling the idiot to get a clue.

I normally don't shout at inanimate objects. Oh, who am I kidding?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The nice thing about inanimate objects is they just keep their mouth shut and take it like a toaster!
:D
Except with objects like Alexa. You never know where your ire is going. The internet of things is likely to make privacy more difficult to achieve. If your TV or your refrigerator is on the internet, you may never know what it really captured and sent to some server farm.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Except with objects like Alexa. You never know where your ire is going. The internet of things is likely to make privacy more difficult to achieve. If your TV or your refrigerator is on the internet, you may never know what it really captured and sent to some server farm.
Smart fridge to server farm: "someone sure loves ice cream and frozen corn dogs"

Don't judge me fridge...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think that ship has largely sailed:

A computer detective on the police force suggested trying this with an iPhone:
My girlfriend and I started talking about sloths (a random topic that she has not texted or posted about) with her iPhone sitting nearby.
Sure enough, a day later she had lots of pictures of sloths popping up on her Facebook account. Aside from a sloth park in Costa Rica, there were no links to commercial products, just photos.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/is-your-smartphone-listening-to-your-conversations/

highfigh

highfigh

I asked Alexa several questions, such as "Alexa, are you sending information about me to the FBI (or CIA, NSA...)?" and the only answer I got was "I'm sorry, I don't know how to answer that question (if you only knew....)".

highfigh

highfigh

I think that ship has largely sailed:

My girlfriend and I started talking about sloths (a random topic that she has not texted or posted about) with her iPhone sitting nearby.
Sure enough, a day later she had lots of pictures of sloths popping up on her Facebook account. Aside from a sloth park in Costa Rica, there were no links to commercial products, just photos.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/is-your-smartphone-listening-to-your-conversations/
When I hold my iPhone, I can feel it vibrate for a short time. No idea why and I seriously doubt anyone will tell the truth, but I have to think it's sending info to some server for advertising because I see a lot of ads for things that I never searched for, only talked about or were mentioned by someone in person or on the radio.

There's a whole section about Siri & Search in the Settings menu. I just looked and it's enabled for a lot, in my phone.

Well, that was interesting- I turned off Siri and Search on the apps shown- took over fifteen minutes and after turning Siri off, a button for 'Show App' appears and needs to be turned off. Also, Contacts and a couple of others had a third button appear, which I turned off.

I guess this is what happens when we agree to the the EULA that's so long and filled with BS that we don't want to read it.

I think we need to tell the manufacturers NO! when they use the EULA to cover their asses so completely and if they want to make it impossible to use their products without it, we use something else. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the chances of our info being used against us, against our will or without our knowledge seem high, to me.

Investigations and government overreach is using all of the technology available to them.

WI had a John Doe investigation into the Republican Party's contributors, including FBI home invasions before daylight where kids and families were in the homes of people named in the investigation (which was illegal) and one of the people whose house was invaded is a Democrat, who didn't know he was being investigated until he happened to google his own e-mail address and saw the number of google searches for it (which should have been low ) and then, he looked into who was searching. He blew the whistle and the report in the link is the result-

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2017/12/06/investigation-into-john-doe-leak-complete-could-made-public-wednesday/927991001/

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder what the FTC did with the money- they're not the ones who were potentially harmed by the spying.
What does the EU do with the billions it fines US high tech companies?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I asked Alexa several questions, such as "Alexa, are you sending information about me to the FBI (or CIA, NSA...)?" and the only answer I got was "I'm sorry, I don't know how to answer that question (if you only knew....)".

Perhaps it's time to look where they sell aluminum foil hats and see if they offer aluminum foil pocket protectors for your phones.

Another alternative is upgrade to a 3G phone.

Or better yet, occasionally turn your phone off. It only rules your life if you choose to allow it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Perhaps it's time to look where they sell aluminum foil hats and see if they offer aluminum foil pocket protectors for your phones.

Or better yet, occasionally turn your phone off. It only rules your life if you choose to allow it.
Yeah, but the day I turn it off would be the one that my daughter gets in a wreck and I cannot be contacted!
I was thinking maybe a landline would work, but I must admit, between GPS, access to all the knowledge of the internet, etc. I am addicted.:(

Land line and tablet would mostly cover the bases, but I suspect the tablet may be just as bad as a phone for privacy concerns.

highfigh

highfigh

They're out there, man!

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah, but the day I turn it off would be the one that my daughter gets in a wreck and I cannot be contacted!
I was thinking maybe a landline would work, but I must admit, between GPS, access to all the knowledge of the internet, etc. I am addicted.:(

Land line and tablet would mostly cover the bases, but I suspect the tablet may be just as bad as a phone for privacy concerns.
Maybe it's time to go back to CB radios. You could come up with a nifty name or call sign, too.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe it's time to go back to CB radios. You could come up with a nifty name or call sign, too.
Uh huh. No one can monitor your communications on a CB radio... just anyone with another CB radio.

highfigh

highfigh

Uh huh. No one can monitor your communications on a CB radio... just anyone with another CB radio.
Ever heard of a CB that was disabled by some kid in a different country, just because it amused them, resulting in damage to sensitive components? Nobody has an expectation of privacy when using a CB.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ever heard of a CB that was disabled by some kid in a different country, just because it amused them, resulting in damage to sensitive components? Nobody has an expectation of privacy when using a CB.
Ooo girl! Down here in the south, we don't even use CB anymore, or horns, just a PA attached to the axle of our lifted trucks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis