killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
but I am curious if you would name a fairly well known singer who exemplifies the type of vocalization you would prefer so I can better understand your perspective. Thx!
I surely thought about that and wanted to post an example in my first post to this thread, but couldn't think of a name.

If we're not talking about a style of music and all other aspects and we just focus on female vocal as I would suggest to make this easier, I like Nina Simone, Shirley Bassey, the lady from London Grammar, Teresa from Madredeus...

It seems to me that I prefer either to have a rather clear female vocal or if it's colored, I like this more drunken or meth wasted kind of vocals like Lana del Rey.

But it's just choices. I still played some Brika and her music sounds very good on my system. Just not my personal taste.

Thanks again for the heads up and I will lend an ear to Melody (though I must say, when someone even names herself Melody it really drives me away)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Was this meant about Brika? Or Gardot, as Kew thought
Thank you for your suggestions on songs by Melody.

I was talking about Brika, but didn't have the feeling that KEW misunderstood me. In brackets he says that this other guy said something similar for Melody, not me and he used "in his case" which I understood as "as oppose to".

I'll listen to your suggestions of Melody's songs. Thanks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not that wikipedia is the end-all for knowledge, but her name is Melody Joy Gardot... no claim to that being a stage name. *shrugs

And at 33, now, to Brika's 24, you can compare their sound and relative maturity levels of sound and artistry. :)

Nina Simone is astounding! Perhaps trite, but one of my all time favorite recordings is Ella F doing The Man I Love. But I'd rather an Alto or Contralto sing me to sleep than a Soprano! ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I surely thought about that and wanted to post an example in my first post to this thread, but couldn't think of a name.

If we're not talking about a style of music and all other aspects and we just focus on female vocal as I would suggest to make this easier, I like Nina Simone, Shirley Bassey, the lady from London Grammar, Teresa from Madredeus...

It seems to me that I prefer either to have a rather clear female vocal or if it's colored, I like this more drunken or meth wasted kind of vocals like Lana del Rey.

But it's just choices. I still played some Brika and her music sounds very good on my system. Just not my personal taste.

Thanks again for the heads up and I will lend an ear to Melody (though I must say, when someone even names herself Melody it really drives me away)
How does Diana Krall do on that count?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Not that wikipedia is the end-all for knowledge, but her name is Melody Joy Gardot... no claim to that being a stage name. *shrugs

And at 33, now, to Brika's 24, you can compare their sound and relative maturity levels of sound and artistry. :)

Nina Simone is astounding! Perhaps trite, but one of my all time favorite recordings is Ella F doing The Man I Love. But I'd rather an Alto or Contralto sing me to sleep than a Soprano! ;)
Do you know Sarah Vaughan? She probably had the widest range with the deep contralto voice. One of the greatest Jazz singers of all time:

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-sarah-vaughan-albums-list/reference

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Do you know Sarah Vaughan?
Ah, thx for reminding me. @KEW yes, I really like Vaughan, Dinah Washington, Peggy Lee... And again a clear voice like Loreena McKenneth has, but that style of music completely left me ages ago. I always thought Maggie Reilly had a nice voice, the lady that sang to Mike Oldfield's tunes, but I would have a hard time finding songs by those two I'd still enjoy today.

I really, really dislike Krall and, now, Gardot as well. It's obviously something that fails to communicate with me. I'm censoring these opinions because I wouldn't want you to feel bad or as being attacked, so it is an understatement, yes, but let's just leave it at dislike. Not for me, I guess.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ah, thx for reminding me. @KEW yes, I really like Vaughan, Dinah Washington, Peggy Lee... And again a clear voice like Loreena McKenneth has, but that style of music completely left me ages ago. I always thought Maggie Reilly had a nice voice, the lady that sang to Mike Oldfield's tunes, but I would have a hard time finding songs by those two I'd still enjoy today.

I really, really dislike Krall and, now, Gardot as well. It's obviously something that fails to communicate with me. I'm censoring these opinions because I wouldn't want you to feel bad or as being attacked, so it is an understatement, yes, but let's just leave it at dislike. Not for me, I guess.
Beauty is, indeed, in the ears of the beholder!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis