KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm sure plenty of you have heard her, but I just did a forum search for "Brika" and got "no results"!

She popped up on my Pandora a couple of years ago (maybe linked to Melody Gardot who I liked?) and I have been enjoying her ever since!

I love the way she is so bold with her voice; instrumentation is often pretty austere.

She has a unique style, both melodically and rhythmically. I really can't make a good "she reminds me of..." statement about her.
Maybe you might!?

In any case, since she has not been mentioned here and I have never heard her on the radio, I thought she would be some good "musical goodness" to share.
Here are three videos to introduce her so you can see what you think!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never heard of her but will give her a try in spotify later....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure plenty of you have heard her, but I just did a forum search for "Brika" and got "no results"!

She popped up on my Pandora a couple of years ago (maybe linked to Melody Gardot who I liked?) and I have been enjoying her ever since!

I love the way she is so bold with her voice; instrumentation is often pretty austere.

She has a unique style, both melodically and rhythmically. I really can't make a good "she reminds me of..." statement about her.
Maybe you might!?

In any case, since she has not been mentioned here and I have never heard her on the radio, I thought she would be some good "musical goodness" to share.
Here are three videos to introduce her so you can see what you think!

Nice! Making a Brika Pandora station to see other ones pop up that are similar too. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nice! Making a Brika Pandora station to see other ones pop up that are similar too. :)
Yeah, that is what I love about Pandora - discovering new music!
A couple of my favorites that you can watch for are:
Billie Eilish
Bishop Briggs
ZZ Ward

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, that is what I love about Pandora - discovering new music!
A couple of my favorites that you can watch for are:
Billie Eilish
Bishop Briggs
ZZ Ward
I’m a fan of ZZ Ward too. I’ll check out the others

Also today I’m listening to Caro Emerald

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I’m a fan of ZZ Ward too. I’ll check out the others

Also today I’m listening to Karo Emerald
the others should pop up on your Brika station.

Pretty sure I have seen Karo Emarald on the Brika station, but not often.

I think I initially had several songs that deliberately incorporated distortion into the sound (I guess it is a modern thing - like the way Black Eyed Peas do it). I don't like distorted vocals so thumbs downed all of that and now get a consistently good (to me) music out of my Brika station.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
the others should pop up on your Brika station.

Pretty sure I have seen Karo Emarald on the Brika station, but not often.

I think I initially had several songs that deliberately incorporated distortion into the sound (I guess it is a modern thing - like the way Black Eyed Peas do it). I don't like distorted vocals so thumbs downed all of that and now get a consistently good (to me) music out of my Brika station.
You mean voice distortion like Halsey? :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You mean voice distortion like Halsey? :)
Hmm.
I have Halsey pop up on my Brika station, but I like it and don't remember noticing any distortion.
I usually use Pandora for background music and don't listen critically, but if Halsey does distortion to her voice, I believe I must have given a Thumbs Down to all of those songs and now I only get the ones where she doesn't use distortion (unless it is very, very subtle).

I have had pretty good success tailoring Pandora to my preferences. I don't know how Pandora savvy you are, but for example, if you like early Genesis (Lamb Lies Down on Broadway), but not Pop Genesis (Abacab), you can start a station named "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" (Instead of the group name, use the song). The pop stuff will show up, but if you "Thumb Down" it, Pandora figures out not to play the newer stuff. Of course, you still get (more) contemporary Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, Mike and the Mechanics, and Phil Collins solo works popping up.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm.
I have Halsey pop up on my Brika station, but I like it and don't remember noticing any distortion.
I usually use Pandora for background music and don't listen critically, but if Halsey does distortion to her voice, I believe I must have given a Thumbs Down to all of those songs and now I only get the ones where she doesn't use distortion (unless it is very, very subtle).

I have had pretty good success tailoring Pandora to my preferences. I don't know how Pandora savvy you are, but for example, if you like early Genesis (Lamb Lies Down on Broadway), but not Pop Genesis (Abacab), you can start a station named "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" (Instead of the group name, use the song). The pop stuff will show up, but if you "Thumb Down" it, Pandora figures out not to play the newer stuff. Of course, you still get (more) contemporary Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, Mike and the Mechanics, and Phil Collins solo works popping up.
Ok you mean completely distorted voice when you meantioned black eyed peas. :)

Ya I get a bit saavy to create some stations a few ways so when I hit a skip limit I can grab a very similar station. I have pandora plus for $5 a MO.

I do listen to many if not all genres and I find it fun to end up with something new. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
LOL!
I have totally made a liar out of myself!
I was thinking about distorted voices and remember that I am used to hearing heavy distortion of Brika's voice in her song "Moon" - but not the version I linked above!
Check at 0:55 and 2:15:

I think it is a positive effect there ...the contrast with her voice elsewhere, which is clean, is a nice effect!

I'm lucky, got Pandora Plus for a year for free through T-mobile account!
I am so used to traditional Pandora that I rarely think to use the benefits, but IIRC, SQ is better and that is a worthwhile plus!

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I listened last night. nice voice. several times reminded of Karo Emerald... though I prefer the more hip-hop backing to Brika, than Karo's cheesy electronic sounds. Really wish she would do a straight recording: her voice is astounding.
Been digging on Melody Gardot's last album recently, Currency of Man from 2015.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was listening to Voice Memos (Brika)....didn't really care for it, too stylized if that makes sense. Put on some Melody Gardot, like her more, left that playing....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Was listening to Voice Memos (Brika)....didn't really care for it, too stylized if that makes sense. Put on some Melody Gardot, like her more, left that playing....
Ya... she is 24 and you can hear it in her style, as well as the production on the album. Curious if the producer chose the sounds used (including a hint of autotune a few times I thought),or if it was her vision. Definitely more Pop than jazz, I'm also curious if that was a choice for potential ease in marketing?

On the other hand, Gardot's story is pretty intense, and that we get to hear that voice at all is pretty amazing! ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yow, just read about Melody Gardot's accident (or rather attempted manslaughter on the part of the driver of the SUV)....as a cyclist I can especially empathize....one reason most of my cycling is off-road. Impressive young woman to overcome and succeed!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
If you had one song to pick that would represent the best of Melody, which one would that be?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

Maybe you might!?
I always appreciate the heads-up. I like the "color" of her voice, but really dislike her personal style of singing. This "tightened-up" throat with a touch of nasal singing. It's not my choice.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I always appreciate the heads-up. I like the "color" of her voice, but really dislike her personal style of singing. This "tightened-up" throat with a touch of nasal singing. It's not my choice.
I have met one other guy who had close to the same comment (about Melody Gardot in his case) about tightened throat and nasal singing.
Obviously, it doesn't bother me, but I am curious if you would name a fairly well known singer who exemplifies the type of vocalization you would prefer so I can better understand your perspective. Thx!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you had one song to pick that would represent the best of Melody, which one would that be?
That is a difficult question cuz she really has spanned a fairly wide range of styles from her first album to her most current. The early ones are much more conservative. Beautifully done but conservative. And the later ones she branches out into some very interesting styles. She kind of reminds me of Joni Mitchell that way.
From her early., I would go with "worrisome heart". Then a little later, "your heart is as black as night" (which was also done by Beth Hart and Joe bonamassa, but Melody gardot wrote it).
The most recent album (Currency of Man) has a pretty experimental aspect and I am still getting my head wrapped around it, so I will defer to others.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Was this meant about Brika? Or Gardot, as Kew thought? I think Killdozzer nailed what I was suggesting to be Brika's immaturity as an artist. To me, Melody is singing from her diaphragm and has a good range (Alto, maybe even Contralto?). Her voice is often times sultry rather than nasal, and in my book, I would never think of nasal as sultry! :p

As for Melody, and Kew's recommendations: Worrisome Heart (title track) is a nice cut, also Quiet Fire from that same album is one I've enjoyed a lot. Her second album, My One And Only Thrill, has Your Heart Is As Black As Night (great cut! as Kew mentioned), as well as Who Will Comfort Me and Our Love Is Easy.
I have not really made friends with her third album, The Absence. I am, however, really digging Currency of Man (The Artists Cut)! Don't Misunderstand I liked from the start. No Man's Prize is astounding and Morning Sun is one of those that gives me the tingles. I could go on. ;)

So I'll give you two, an old one and a new one. Our Love is Easy and Morning Sun.

Enjoy!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis