Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Obama because he ignorant about the EU and European politics, like most Americans. Americans have this fanciful image of the EU being in America's image.
Excuse me? The EU is unelected bureaucracy gone wild, and a tax and a pox on prosperity. We have our problems here in the US, lots of them, but the EU should really be pronounced "Eww".

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, I guess they now know how we felt 240 years ago.
Exactly! Everyone in the UK hails America's fight for independence. For many years now the US flag flies from public buildings on July 4th every year.

I used to think it a wonderful sight seeing the US flag flying over Rochester Castle on July 4.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Excuse me? The EU is unelected bureaucracy gone wild, and a tax and a pox on prosperity. We have our have our problems here in the US, lots of them, but the EU should really be pronounced "Eww".
That is exactly the point as Nigel Farage has said for years.

I happened to be in the UK when that happened. Nigel Farage was asked by a BBC reporter if he was going to apologize. He said "Yes, but only to Junior bank clerks!"

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Exactly! Everyone in the UK hails America's fight for independence. For many years now the US flag flies from public buildings on July 4th every year.

I used to think it a wonderful sight seeing the US flag flying over Rochester Castle on July 4.
You'll have to explain that better to us yankees. I had no idea the UK willingly recognizes, much less hails, our rebellion and independence from the British Empire.

This Rochester Castle? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_Castle

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Of much more significance (to me :)) is the news that the new Salk Veracity ST speakers I ordered last month are now veneered.
upload_2016-6-24_12-53-52.png

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
How is Britain leaving the EU different from either Scotland, Ireland, or Wales from leaving GB?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
How is Britain leaving the EU different from either Scotland, Ireland, or Wales from leaving GB?
Technically speaking, the United Kingdom is a sovereign state, whereas Scotland isn't, at least according to Wikipedia. From a practical standpoint, Scotland utilizes the same currency, doesn't have a separate standing army, etc.

L

Locoweed

Audioholic Intern
All the reaction trumpeted about in the media reminds me of the old "when in trouble or when in doubt, run in circles, scream & shout."

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is very different. All of the regions you site elect MPs to Westminster and can vote on ALL legislation before parliament.

In addition those regions have their own parliaments, to which all members are elected.

The thorny issue is what the late Enoch Powell called the "West Lothian question". This is an unresolved issue, and concerns MPs from Scotalnd being able to vote on English laws, but English MPs can not vote on Scottish law.

The bigger issue is that the UK is a highly democratic union. The EU is anything but.

Yonker, Schultz and Co, are NOT elected. It is a tyranny, and the UK is well shot of it.

Americans would never stand for such an arrangement as the EU, but would be quite content with the electoral oversight of the UK.

It is all about electoral oversight.

Imagine if the UK civil service could just write laws for Scotland or Wales without out their legislative bodies having a say or being able to over ride or change the law. And now imagine that 60% of your laws were now enacted without your Parliaments consent or agreement. Well that IS the EU. Yes, there are MEPS, in the European parliament, but they have no power. When they do try and exert it they are over ridden by the likes of Yonker. Most Europeans have no idea who their MEOS are, unless they are lucky enough to have a Nigel Farage who can turn the European Parliament sessions into a blood sport and embarrass the clowns again and again.

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Brittney Cooper, who teaches Women’s and Gender Studies and Africana Studies at Rutgers University Had this to say on her Twitter feed.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Imagine if the UK civil service could just write laws for Scotland or Wales without out their legislative bodies having a say or being able to over ride or change the law. And now imagine that 60% of your laws were now enacted without your Parliaments consent or agreement. Well that IS the EU.
This struck a chord. Living in Tennessee, I feel it doesn't matter who I vote for. My representatives in Washington will always be the Republican candidate, and they never deviate from GOP talking points or agenda. If I wish to vote Democrat or Independent in order to dislodge the obstructionism and big business lobby, or just to cull the segregationist generation in favor of a younger candidate more welcoming of diversity; well, I'm just throwing my vote away. When I contact my district House representative to express a common sense opinion, I get the official GOP response. I believe it has been thus since Lyndon Johnson burned bridges in the South to promote the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Rural Tennessee still holds a grudge. It's embarrassing. And gerrymandering ensures that the rural populist delegates will continue for the foreseeable future to outnumber urban moderates and progressives to determine the direction of our representation.

Democracy would be amazing! We are not a democracy. We are a democratic republic, given the illusion of democracy to distract us while the ruling class shapes our government to suit themselves.

Every vote I cast is cancelled and overwhelmed by these guys. You know they outnumber us.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
It is very different. All of the regions you site elect MPs to Westminster and can vote on ALL legislation before parliament.

In addition those regions have their own parliaments, to which all members are elected.

The thorny issue is what the late Enoch Powell called the "West Lothian question". This is an unresolved issue, and concerns MPs from Scotalnd being able to vote on English laws, but English MPs can not vote on Scottish law.

The bigger issue is that the UK is a highly democratic union. The EU is anything but.

Yonker, Schultz and Co, are NOT elected. It is a tyranny, and the UK is well shot of it.

Americans would never stand for such an arrangement as the EU, but would be quite content with the electoral oversight of the UK.

It is all about electoral oversight.

Imagine if the UK civil service could just write laws for Scotland or Wales without out their legislative bodies having a say or being able to over ride or change the law. And now imagine that 60% of your laws were now enacted without your Parliaments consent or agreement. Well that IS the EU. Yes, there are MEPS, in the European parliament, but they have no power. When they do try and exert it they are over ridden by the likes of Yonker. Most Europeans have no idea who their MEOS are, unless they are lucky enough to have a Nigel Farage who can turn the European Parliament sessions into a blood sport and embarrass the clowns again and again.
OK but what is the motivation for say Scotland to then leave GB and presumably stay with the EU?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
CBS News is reporting http://www.cbsnews.com/news/brexit-result-shocks-voters-uk-leave-european-union/

"One voter told the BBC that he didn't think his vote to leave the EU would matter."

"I'm a bit shocked to be honest," the voter, identified as Adam from Manchester, England, told the broadcaster. "I'm shocked about both. I'm shocked that we actually voted to leave. I didn't think that was going to happen. My vote, I didn't think, was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to remain."

"After the result was announced, the top question on the EU that was asked on Google in the U.K. was "What does it mean to leave the EU?" the company said on Twitter.

The second top question: "What is the EU?"

I can't argue with the 52% vs 48% margin of victory or the high 72% voter turnout, but WTF?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This struck a chord. Living in Tennessee, I feel it doesn't matter who I vote for…
Time passes slowly when it comes to political change in the USA, and probably everywhere else too.

In 1964 The Civil Rights Act immediately converted nearly all black voters in this country from Republican to Democratic overnight.

It took the white voters in the South a few years longer, 1968 to 1980, to switch to nearly all Republican.

It took George W. Bush to complete that shift by 2000 such that only the South (with a few others like Arizona) was reliably Republican. Lincoln must have been spinning in his grave.

That party has painted itself into a corner. Since 2004, no Republican has won national presidential election. And the Republicans in Congress have resorted to obstructionism as they act like they have no option. If they loose again in 2016, 3 times in a row, they would have to change or go out of existence. That's what the internal fight in the GOP has really been about.

Stay tuned, and be sure to vote this November. You might see some major changes occur.

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Now if only the USA would exit NATO, the UN, and every other worthless organization!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Brittney Cooper, who teaches Women’s and Gender Studies and Africana Studies at Rutgers University Had this to say on her Twitter feed.

Well Brittney Cooper is a first class idiot, totally void of any knowledge of British history and the values that island nation hold dear.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Why, in your opinion, TLSGuy, did Obama and China want GB to stay in the EU?
I believe most countries were against Britain exiting the EU.

Don't over complicate it - The simple fact is no one really knows what will happen. Uncertainty is harmful to the economy, so many countries (and many areas of UK) were trying to discourage the Brexit. The Brexit is undeniably (and predictably) causing immediate instability. Hopefully the current adjustments in the value of sterling will stabilize shortly. Long-term, it may well be the best course of action, but no one knows for certain!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Technically speaking, the United Kingdom is a sovereign state, whereas Scotland isn't, at least according to Wikipedia. From a practical standpoint, Scotland utilizes the same currency, doesn't have a separate standing army, etc.
All very true, but none of it will be an impediment if Scotland or Northern Ireland decide they no longer wish to remain in the UK. One could dismiss such an eventuality as ludicrous, but there is strong EU support in those regions and the recent Scottish referendum was not a cakewalk for the Unionist side.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis