Bought Axiom Audio EP600 Sub with Bad Amp.. what now?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Perhaps my last time buying used gear for fun

Only have $150 in this plus mileage and tolls but the amp blows the fuse as soon as you turn it on

At one time this Axiom EP600 was an expensive sub. I failed to audition it at purchase and the seller snowed.

The speaker and driver appear to be in great condition. The AMP most likely isn’t any good.

I see on the Axiom site that the replacement amp is $680.

What would you do?

1) put it out at the trash
2) buy the Axium amp , it’s still a deal
3) buy a plate AMP from parts express that’s cheaper but could work
4) buy a pro AMP and try to wire directly to the speaker?
5) sell As IS and get as much as I can back for it and move on.

I’m torn

Want to see what you all think please and I know there might be different opinions which I appreciate. If it gets too expensive I’d rather just buy a Rythmik or Monolith. But I might be missing an opportunity here to use this.

1CAF2357-ADF0-4C6B-B043-9A01C517C88F.png
I

1CAF2357-ADF0-4C6B-B043-9A01C517C88F.png
6C100141-6F46-432F-98AF-E7CEACDADAB2.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I prefer external amps on subs anyways, so a pro amp would be the way I'd go. The Axiom replacement sounds expensive, but do wonder if any particular dsp has been applied. Wiring it can be done easily enough. You could also pull the Axiom amp off and send it off for repair.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I was told it works. So that’s what I meant by getting snowed. I have had good luck buying used but I’m co big around more on trying to focus on buying new on sale or b stock with warranty even if it costs more.

I do understand to test now. Still hurting on that one

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For a sub could be as easy as connecting your phone with an appropriate cable....
I was told it works. So that’s what I meant by getting snowed. I have had good luck buying used but I’m co big around more on trying to focus on buying new on sale or b stock with warranty even if it costs more.

I do understand to test now. Still hurting on that one

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I prefer external amps on subs anyways, so a pro amp would be the way I'd go. The Axiom replacement sounds expensive, but do wonder if any particular dsp has been applied. Wiring it can be done easily enough. You could also pull the Axiom amp off and send it off for repair.

Thanks excuse my ignorance but when you saw DSP what do you mean? They do have proprietary software in their AMPs that are supposed to control distortion etc

when you say send in for repair do you mean to Axium or some other repair facility? That’s not a bad idea if it’s just a couple hundred somehow.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks excuse my ignorance but when you saw DSP what do you mean? They do have proprietary software in their AMPs that are supposed to control distortion etc

when you say send in for repair do you mean to Axium or some other repair facility? That’s not a bad idea if it’s just a couple hundred somehow.
DSP may be in the form of a protective high pass filter on a ported sub, or some eq shaping or limiting....some pro amps do have a good suite of dsp, tho.

Just meant an electronics repair shop willing to work on such amps. They're rapidly disappearing....but imagine would be much more reasonable than a complete replacement from Axiom, but 200 wouldn't surprise me. I doubt someone like Axiom is capable of their own repairs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Only have $150 in this plus mileage and tolls but the amp blows the fuse as soon as you turn it on

At one time this Axiom EP600 was an expensive sub. I failed to audition it at purchase and the seller snowed.

The speaker and driver appear to be in great condition. The AMP most likely isn’t any good.

What would you do?

I’m torn

Want to see what you all think please and I know there might be different opinions which I appreciate. If it gets too expensive I’d rather just buy a Rythmik or Monolith. But I might be missing an opportunity here to use this.

View attachment 38500I

View attachment 38500View attachment 38501
Confirming that the amp doesn't power on and if it does that your speakers are set to small.

If it is confirmed to be the amp, pick up a pro amp that allows for a HPF that goes below 30hz and be done with it. I had a similar issue with one of my matching subs and and I popped out one of the XLR inputs and replaced it with a new connector and wired directly to the drivers and a crown amp (No HPF below 30 but I use a minidsp). I ended up doing both as to keep their performance the same.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

What would you do?

I’m torn

View attachment 38500I

View attachment 38500View attachment 38501
That is a sealed sub. All sealed subs require equalization. That sub uses sophisticated DSP (Digital signal processing). The reason being that all sealed designs do not go very deep without some from of Eq.

So you can not just hook up a different plate amp, or hook up an external amp. If you do you will have no low bass.

So your option is to get the Axiom amp, or use an external amp with a program like REW and an equalizer. It probably will also require a limiter and high pass filter of some type to prevent driver damage.

This approach will take some experience and some engineering chops. It is doable but I suspect for you it will be a steep leaning curve.

Selling an non functioning unit is difficult and you probably will not get much for it.

So the only way, I think you can recover your investment is to purchase a new amp from Axiom.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That is a sealed sub. All sealed subs require equalization. That sub uses sophisticated DSP (Digital signal processing). The reason being that all sealed designs do not go very deep without some from of Eq.

So you can not just hook up a different plate amp, or hook up an external amp. If you do you will have no low bass.

So your option is to get the Axiom amp, or use an external amp with a program like REW and an equalizer. It probably will also require a limiter and high pass filter of some type to prevent driver damage.

This approach will take some experience and some engineering chops. It is doable but I suspect for you it will be a steep leaning curve.

Selling an non functioning unit is difficult and you probably will not get much for it.

So the only way, I think you can recover your investment is to purchase a new amp from Axiom.
Is that not a port in the front?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Yes this version is ported. Not sure it changed the outcome too much or not

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is that not a port in the front?
According to the specs it is sealed. I suspect that Axium have a number of iterations under the same model number.

If it is ported, I wold use and external amp.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Confirming that the amp doesn't power on and if it does that your speakers are set to small.

If it is confirmed to be the amp, pick up a pro amp that allows for a HPF that goes below 30hz and be done with it. I had a similar issue with one of my matching subs and and I popped out one of the XLR inputs and replaced it with a new connector and wired directly to the drivers and a crown amp (No HPF below 30 but I use a minidsp). I ended up doing both as to keep their performance the same.
Agreed. I would get something like this, set an aggressive high-pass filter at 20 or 25 Hz. Install some binding posts in the cabinet to drive power to the driver. That should do the trick.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed. I would get something like this, set an aggressive high-pass filter at 20 or 25 Hz. Install some binding posts in the cabinet to drive power to the driver. That should do the trick.
IIRC the crowns HPF lowest limit is 30hz, maybe a less aggressive slope would work. Maybe an INuke would be be better as their freature set is broader. I'll look on my crown tomorrow to confirm.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah 30hz sounds right on the gen 2 XLS (bit higher on gen 1 at 50 IIRC).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis