Bought Axiom Audio EP600 Sub with Bad Amp.. what now?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Would either a Crown 2002 or 2000 be better? Both for sale locally (dare I say used maybe should pass) might should buy new but would have to test.

Or I might just sell it off and forget it. But might be cool to have the Crown longer term regardless of the Axiom cabinet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Would either a Crown 2002 or 2000 be better? Both for sale locally (dare I say used maybe should pass) might should buy new but would have to test.

Or I might just sell it off and forget it. But might be cool to have the Crown longer term regardless of the Axiom cabinet.
A used 2000 might be cheapest way to go? The 2002 has some different features, primarily sensitivity adjustment of 1.4 or .775V (only 1.4V on the first gen), lights you can turn off, a bit different dsp, and black vs silver case....think that's it. I have four gen 1, one gen 2....

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
If I could get a 2002 for $50 more than the 2000 is that a no brainer? I am hesitant to throw good money after bad but at the same time I feel like getting a Crown vs. buying a new plate amp gives me the chance to use the crown for something else (better Dual sub maybe ) later down the road.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah for $50 I'd get the gen 2....just so I didn't have to cover up the lights if anything :) Might still be under warranty, too (3 years)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
The guy selling the Crowns said they were pulled from a movie theater. That would probably indicate they have some miles on them although I don't know what that means for a pro amp

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The guy selling the Crowns said they were pulled from a movie theater. That would probably indicate they have some miles on them although I don't know what that means for a pro amp
Hard to know what that entailed....I snagged a 2502 used from a home setup, would prefer home use rather than movie theater but probably better than mobile/travelling use?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Not that I will likely do this but has anyone ever powered a sub via an extra 200WPC slot on their power amp? This is more for my learning than anything. Might try to sell this Sub as is on craigslist and see if I can get my money back or close

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not that I will likely do this but has anyone ever powered a sub via an extra 200WPC slot on their power amp? This is more for my learning than anything. Might try to sell this Sub as is on craigslist and see if I can get my money back or close
Can work fine as long as the amp is 4 ohm capable as many subs are....may not give you all the performance of a more powerful amp but might suffice for at least seeing if you want to proceed with a new amp....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
More watts mean nothing, absolutely nothing in the speaker's design. The only thing that plate amp provided was some DSP functions, which can be achieved with an outboard amp. I remember @TLS Guy had a design for one of the Dayton Reference subs that only required 200 watts to achieve high SPL and low extension. It's all about design.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for all your advice on this one. I decide to move the sub along. I did hook it up to an extra 200WPC slot in my AMP just to see how it would sound. It proved that the driver worked but it was clear that it would be preferable to buy a replacement Axiom amp to work best with that enclosure and frankly at that cost I'd rather save that towards a sub or two I have in mind down the line. That's the plan but that plan requires much patience and sometimes I still buy stuff I should and some I shouldn't :)

Thanks again

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis