Bookshelf vs Tower Speakers: Which Should I Get?

What type of speaker do you prefer?

• Floorstander or Tower

Votes: 42 73.7%
  • Bookshelf

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Satellite Subwoofer System

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Cubed speakers b/c someone told me Bose is best!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above. Just give me some good cans.

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not saying bookshelves are superior, just easier to move around, that's all. Sorry for any misunderstanding I may have caused.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
IMHO, tower speakers are merely bookshelf speakers on an expensive pedestal. :rolleyes:
Maybe you've done this demo and still feel that way.

The people over at GA HT (one of maybe three 800 series B&W dealers in town) had a 805D3 demo room set up and they brought in the 804D3 (the speaker I was interested in) and we played them in 2.0 and 2.1, and swapped them back and forth. I didn't tell him I owned B&Ws, but the sales guys was eager to show off the book shelf...of course I'd already heard them, but not the D3s so I said okay and we started doing some A/B.

2.0...the 804 is a much fuller sounding speaker, no question.
2.1...the 805 catches up a lot, but it's still not as full sounding through the mid and mid/bass as the 804

I will say this...if I had one choice and had to stick with it for life... 805 w/ 2 nice subs, or 804 by themselves...I would get the 805 w/ the subs.

R

ranasjsu

Audiophyte
Hi,

I have Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0 Paired with SVS PB1000.

I want to but SVS Prime Satellite Pired with SVS SB1000 (5.1) System.

What would I lose having satellite speakers in stead of towers in the front sound stage. I am crossing over at 80 Mhz anyways.

R

ranasjsu

Audiophyte
You would lose a significant amount of HEIGHT. :D
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Suppose I can keep the height same. Then what? I read that I would lose some kind of sound stage. I am not able to understand, why???

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Suppose I can keep the height same. Then what? I read that I would lose some kind of sound stage. I am not able to understand, why???
Floorstand speakers will provide better Sound Quality over Satellite Speakers. Because of the Larger Cabinet. Floorstand speakers also generally come with Larger Drivers

R

ranasjsu

Audiophyte
Floorstand speakers will provide better Sound Quality over Satellite Speakers. Because of the Larger Cabinet. Floorstand speakers also generally come with Larger Drivers
Ok. Thank you for the reply.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi,

Difference in opinions. Everyone has a different experience. Some people have used both [bookshelf + subs] and [towers + subs] and they truly believe 100% that they get the SAME quality in every aspect from both.

I think the biggest difference isn't "soundstage" or "imaging". I think it's the difference in speaker Sensitivity and Dynamic Range.

"There is no replacement for displacement" and "you can't defy the laws of physics" are popular sayings.

Bigger drivers plus bigger cabinets = more displacement = more dynamics = less distortion at high volume.

But what is your volume? Is it high enough to to worry about Dynamics? Do you wonder if your speakers are "distorting" at certain volume?

And BTW, I use "bookshelf" speakers that are about 31" tall, weigh about 100 LBS each, and have more dynamics than most towers.

Here is a picture of my "bookshelf" speakers sitting atop subwoofers.

Gene also has these bookshelf speakers, except they are sandwiched between 2 subs. :D

Last edited:
R

ranasjsu

Audiophyte
Difference in opinions. Everyone has a different experience. Some people have used both [bookshelf + subs] and [towers + subs] and they truly believe 100% that they get the SAME quality in every aspect from both.

I think the biggest difference isn't "soundstage" or "imaging". I think it's the difference in speaker Sensitivity and Dynamic Range.

"There is no replacement for displacement" and "you can't defy the laws of physics" are popular sayings.

Bigger drivers plus bigger cabinets = more displacement = more dynamics = less distortion at high volume.

But what is your volume? Is it high enough to to worry about Dynamics? Do you wonder if your speakers are "distorting" at certain volume?

And BTW, I use "bookshelf" speakers that are about 31" tall, weigh about 100 LBS each, and have more dynamics than most towers.

Here is a picture of my "bookshelf" speakers sitting atop subwoofers.

Gene also has these bookshelf speakers, except they are sandwiched between 2 subs. :D

Thank you. I understand better now. Nice gears!!!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If you stack your bookshelf with other speakers is it still a bookshelf? lol

I have nice bookshelves and you can gang them with other speakers for a more powerful sound. But, it's almost impossible for a bookshelf by itself to have the power of a tower.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis