Bookshelf vs Tower Speakers: Which Should I Get?

What type of speaker do you prefer?

• Floorstander or Tower

Votes: 42 73.7%
  • Bookshelf

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Satellite Subwoofer System

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Cubed speakers b/c someone told me Bose is best!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above. Just give me some good cans.

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Am386SXL

Am386SXL

Enthusiast
If I'm correct, from my observations I've seen that most bookshelf speakers does not go lower than 50Hz. I do not own any high-end stuff so I guess I choose floorstands (cabinets speakers in my case) over bookshelves. But this does not mean bookshelves suck, each type of speaker cater different requirements. One can achieve good sound performance with just a pair of bookshelves in a small room if floorstands won't fit.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Conclusion: 'AsseSS'

I think the score card is a good idea! A no non-sense approach, except when people have an issue with the way things 'add up'.....
In my case... its not an issue, just a personal preference. :)

I am surprised that so many have chosen towers in the poll. I would have figured the sub/sat thing would be leading.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I am surprised that so many have chosen towers in the poll. I would have figured the sub/sat thing would be leading.
Its the popular choice. MOAR POWAH!

DukeL

DukeL

Audioholic Intern
Anyone doing towers + subs? If so, I'd be interested to know what the towers are - whether they're theoretically "fullrange" speakers in and of themselves, or have a rolled-off bottom end and use the tower format for other purposes (higher efficiency, better room interaction, whatever).

I've seen people use subs to gently augment the bottom octave of towers in order to improve either the quality or quantity of bass, and I've built towers that don't go very deep as part of a large-scale satellite/sub system.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone doing towers + subs? If so, I'd be interested to know what the towers are - whether they're theoretically "fullrange" speakers in and of themselves, or have a rolled-off bottom end and use the tower format for other purposes (higher efficiency, better room interaction, whatever).

I've seen people use subs to gently augment the bottom octave of towers in order to improve either the quality or quantity of bass, and I've built towers that don't go very deep as part of a large-scale satellite/sub system.
I run my towers full range for 2 channel listening without room eq and no sub as they dig low enough for most music. For HT, I have the crossover set to 80Hz and use a sub.

A

AJ71Ranchero

Audiophyte
I think it all depends on the situation, room and set up. My first system Enery RC-Mirco 5.1 sounded like boomy, thin junk in my living room. And am now using a svs prime Bookshelf based system with dual svs sb-12s and sounds great. Moved the Energy system into the bedroom, and night and day difference. Sounds like a full size system, great depth and clarity, a lot like my Yamaha NS-690ii "stand mount" speakers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think it all depends on the situation, room and set up. My first system Enery RC-Mirco 5.1 sounded like boomy, thin junk in my living room. And am now using a svs prime Bookshelf based system with dual svs sb-12s and sounds great. Moved the Energy system into the bedroom, and night and day difference. Sounds like a full size system, great depth and clarity, a lot like my Yamaha NS-690ii "stand mount" speakers.
Yeah, micro-systems like that Energy should really specify maximum cu. ft. to use it in. They are actually pretty nice sounding, but if the room is too big they simply cannot cut it!

DukeL

DukeL

Audioholic Intern
I run my towers full range for 2 channel listening without room eq and no sub as they dig low enough for most music. For HT, I have the crossover set to 80Hz and use a sub.
Thanks for replying, I hadn't thought of that switch-mode configuration!

If you might like to experiment with an unorthodox towers-plus-subs configuration, let me know. The goal would be improved quality rather than increased quantity.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Although I voted for satellite/sub, I would have chosen "situation dependent", if that option had been offered. ;)

Most of us don't have dedicated listening rooms which are therefore compromised to various degrees. My living room isn't huge but is open to the dining room, kitchen and hallway to the rest of the house So, total volume is on the large-ish size. However, the room won't accommodate floorstanders, because of the room's layout. My Paradigm Studio 20's sit on built-in cabinets, either side of my fireplace. Although not enclosed like a in bookcase, I realise that it is a compromise, but there you go. My in-ceiling subwoofers provide support to the lower octaves, while the mains are crossed over at 80Hz. Sounds great to me.:)

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
"Let’s assume a particular manufacturer has two series of products, Silver and Gold series with the Gold series being their premium line of loudspeakers. Spending $500/pr on a Silver series bookshelf speaker vs $500/pair on a pair of Gold series towers from the same manufacturer usually means that more budget has to go towards the cabinets and perhaps more drivers to fill up a bigger box volume for the latter. In this case, the drivers typically aren’t up to the same caliber of performance. So if you want to hear the subtle nuances in a recording with excellent separation of instruments, and overall pristine fidelity, chances are you will have a higher likelihood of hearing these attributes in the company’s Gold series bookshelf than their Silver series towers."

Am I the only one who sees a problem with the logic of that statement? If the better series tower is priced the same as the lesser series bookshelf, then either you're way overpaying for the silver bookshelf, or the tower is really a bronze, not gold.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
"Let’s assume a particular manufacturer has two series of products, Silver and Gold series with the Gold series being their premium line of loudspeakers. Spending $500/pr on a Silver series bookshelf speaker vs $500/pair on a pair of Gold series towers from the same manufacturer usually means that more budget has to go towards the cabinets and perhaps more drivers to fill up a bigger box volume for the latter. In this case, the drivers typically aren’t up to the same caliber of performance. So if you want to hear the subtle nuances in a recording with excellent separation of instruments, and overall pristine fidelity, chances are you will have a higher likelihood of hearing these attributes in the company’s Gold series bookshelf than their Silver series towers."

Am I the only one who sees a problem with the logic of that statement? If the better series tower is priced the same as the lesser series bookshelf, then either you're way overpaying for the silver bookshelf, or the tower is really a bronze, not gold.
I think that was just an editing error in the first sentence. If you look at the last sentence, I think the statement was made correctly.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just to clear things up... drivers are the same for the model series whether the manufacturer sticks them into a bookshelf or tower cabinet assuming the driver fits the bookshelf or tower.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I have four decent systems;
One has tower speakers (living room)
One has bookshelf speakers and a sub (bedroom/computer, in my signature)
Two have only bookshelf speakers (classroom/work; mancave/office at home)

Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
D

DLeague

Audioholic Intern
I don't follow any of the logic used in the article. Is this a 7.1/5.1 theater? Then yeah, a large floorstanding speaker is most enjoyable over a bookshelf.

However, if you're listening to critical stereo, then I would never recommend the typical floorstanding over a pedestal mounted speaker (bookshelf went out in the 1990s). A good quality pedestal mount will out perform by minimizing the point source, rather than spreading the sound out over 4-5 feet of space where you lose the individual instruments. I have the Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts on my surround system, and they are amazing for surround to give the power with the necessary detail. However, I also have a 500watt 12" sub to support the very low end.

Another point is the use of a subwoofer with a pedestal mount (Swans M1 with Klipsch 8" downfiring 200 watt sub). It may take more than five minutes to set the two together, but mine are perfectly matched to the point I don't her the sub at all. I only hear the full range coming from my M1s. Then again, I don't play loud obnoxious rock with guitars that have so much distortion it make me nauseous. So maybe if you play that stuff regularly, it would behoove you to buy a big old floorstanding speaker to feel what you're listening to. Adieu!

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
Smaller rooms go with bookshelves. In a living room you probably want towers. I am currently sitting here about 13' from my SVS Prime towers. I have all other speakers including the sub turned off. Listening to the Who "Behind Blue Eyes" in two speaker stereo. It sounds great!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's a trick question. :D

Some "bookshelf" have more dynamics and power than many "towers".

Some "bookshelf" are bigger in size than many "towers".

So I don't think it's unequivocally "small room bookshelf vs large room towers".

There is nothing wrong with towers in small room and bookshelf in large rooms either.

It's a trick question.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Very helpful article. In my particular case I've got a large room (3300 ft^3) but am definitely intending to bass manage (primary use is home theater). Score came out at 4. But will most bookshelves solidly fill a room that size, even with a solid subwoofer, and keep good clean sound still at all levels?
No they won't.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As usual Gene has hit a lot of nails on the head. It depends and depends. Mainly it depends on room size, preferred listening levels and program to be played.

As I continue to point out, the bass issue is less than half the equation in this matter for most program.

The real energy is in the mid range and NOT the bass. However small drivers in small ported boxes are displacement limited in the bass especially below port augmentation.

Apart from bass extension, it is offload of bass/mid drivers that is the biggest argument in favor of subs. The offloading of amps and receivers by subs is completely insignificant and of the order of 1 db or less.

Now capable towers will be much less limited in this regard of being displacement limited.

I agree with Gene's comment that if you have invested in capable towers then running them full range and supplementing with a sub is the best option. There is a little UK/USA dichotomy here, but that is the advice of major UK high end speaker manufacturers. I do think there are significant benefits from investing in capable towers under the right circumstances.

Now the issue of mid range power handing is not talked about nearly enough here compared to the power of subs. In fact it deserves the greater discussion.

I am very underwhelmed by most three way designs. The reason is that the power handling from single range drivers is usually far short of adequate. In fact the only mid range drivers I consider have the power to deliver the goods as a single driver are the ATC mid and its close copy by Volt. Otherwise I consider two good drivers are required. This is not all bad, as in the AV environment the MTM configuration has a lot of advantages and helps greatly in regard to power demands and dynamic thermal compression

Finally a word about truly full range speakers. These are not common. I do think you can make the case for them. However to best a good sub integration system, absolutely requires an active solution and in this age of AV being able to capture and integrate the LFE channel.
There is no adequate passive solution to bring this off.

I have been very pleased indeed by the full range monitors here which can produce a highly accurate and integrated sound field.

Unfortunately the mixers and producers of pop music have been finding their way here to check mixes. As you most of you know I do not like suffering those assaults.

This annoyance may come to an end, as I got a call this morning about how to duplicate as closely as possible what they hear here in a Twin Cities studio, that is going to have a rebuild.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The newer ATC speakers have fantastic mid woofers. The voice coil on them is pretty much as large as the diameter of the cone itself, 3". I suppose that helps dispersion and power handling. ATC is very pricey though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis