Blu-ray snags Warner Bros exclusive

toon12

toon12

Enthusiast
As the support for HD DVD seems to be dwindling I just can't help but wonder how this could have happened? HD DVD was obviously the best format. Look at it this way, those that have a new HD DVD player continue to state that they are not out any money because they still have their current HD DVDs and an awesome upconverting player for the SD DVDs. Now, if Blueray would be dieing how many people would still be able to say their player was still a good investment? There would be no SD DVDs being played in that PS3. It just seems that we have created a situation where now we have a niche player where I will have to have a good upconverting SD DVD player for some movies and a BD player for an HD content. It's frustrating when we could have had an all-in-one solution that would have allowed for continued use of our current DVD collection. Buying new HD DVD movies would have looked great while our old DVD movies would have still been usable pieces of media. Seems like a debacle to me.

This is just an opinion though. I don't own HD DVD or Bluray. I just felt that HD DVD was the right choice. Now I will just wait for HD DL to come into it's own.
1. HD was obviously the better format? Based on what???? I think as far as formats go either HD or Blu-Ray could handle the data requirements to play decent video or audio. This is just mis-information.

2. The PS3 is a brilliant investment. It upconverts SD DVD's as well as the HD players out there. It is perhaps the best Blu-ray disc player. It plays SACD's (don't laugh, I have a collection). And it is an incredible media centre, that you can stream to from your computer. And it is continually being upgraded! An example, it now plays DIVX and WMV. Perhaps the most impressive piece of Consumer Electronics in years.

Anyways, your post is full of factual errors, and shows a complete lack of effort to do any research on blu-ray or PS3's. Spend some time reading these forums before you post again.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
PS3 is a brilliant investment. It upconverts SD DVD's as well as the HD players out there. It is perhaps the best Blu-ray disc player.
I will disagree with the SD, as good as other HD players upconverting. By chance I wacth a lot of old movies, and just the other night I did a direct compare with the PS3 and a HD-XA1.
The PS3 did not fair well, even to the point of turning upconversion off, and letting the TV scale itself (as well, double scale did no better, etc...).
The HD-XA1, did a much better job on that particular movie.
Movie was a 1958 flick, with the beautiful Kim Novak and great actor Jiimy Stewart.

Anyhow, I will agree it is one of the best investments, for all that it can do. Specially the media capabilities.
Will certainly save a lot of people the extra money of getting a HTPC for specific jobs.

I will also disagree that it is 'the best BD player'. Granted it is great, but for BD's my BD-P1200 (granted slower load times), has better PQ. But will only go to say, maybe about a 2% difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis