Blu-ray snags Warner Bros exclusive

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Don't know about hardware prices, but I do expect more deals for software. Remember, the Blu-ray plan is to replace DVDs. That can't happen unless there are incentives for people to go out and buy a player. There will still be deals and promos.

N

naisphoo

Banned
I know a lot of people are happy the "war" appears to be over, including those like myself who have been holding off on either format.

But I was personally hoping it would go on at least another year to help drive player and media prices down.

I fear that BluRay players will maintain their current prices much longer from here on out, and software deals will become fewer.

Competition is good. No competition generally means the customer gets screwed.
fear not....red pills no good for brains...blu pills better....

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I fear that BluRay players will maintain their current prices much longer from here on out, and software deals will become fewer.

It is true that competition is good. However, the real competition was never between BD and HD-DVD. It was always between HD and SD. Blu-Ray's biggest competitor is the DVD. Competition isn't gone.

E

erick.s

Junior Audioholic
-Usable with a universal remote (curse you Bluetooth)
Actually, you can get devices to make the PS3 compatible with a normal universal remote. A company called Schmart (yes, that's the name) makes two devices (one does regular controls and the other does all the same plus adds on/off functionality) that plug into one of the USB slots on the front of the PS3 that take in IR commands and translate them for the PS3. I don't have personal experience with it, but I've heard they work flawlessly.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So far there is no aftermarket remote (or controller) that I've seen that can turn the unit on and off, so there are still limitations.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Well it looks like a big push on the BD side. So can some one educate me on the profile/version debacle that is currently taking place on the BD side?

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
uh oh. i bought an HD DVD player and watched just ONE movie on it. could it be my last?
LOL...tell me about it!! I bought the Toshiba A3 only two weeks ago!

Needless to say, I returned it today for a full refund. I didn't want to come home completely empty handed, so I bought the Resident Evil and Spiderman Boxed sets on Blu-ray:cool:

B

Buckeye_Nut

I know a lot of people are happy the "war" appears to be over, including those like myself who have been holding off on either format.

But I was personally hoping it would go on at least another year to help drive player and media prices down.

Winning the format war will have the opposite effect. There are already nearly 1-dozen manufacturers building/selling BR players, and that number will grow significantly.(bringing player prices even lower) There will be a fierce push to take BR from a small nitch market and bring it to the masses. In 2008 you can expect a much broader movie selection and lower prices!! The sub $200 player will be here before you know it!!

E

erick.s

Junior Audioholic
So far there is no aftermarket remote (or controller) that I've seen that can turn the unit on and off, so there are still limitations.
Shmart has a new version coming out that does exactly that. I made mention of it in my post.

P

Panjsheri

Audioholic
Finally!!!

Finally looks like there may be an end to this war especially since I purchased my $1500 Sony BDP-2000ES Blu Ray player now I can look forward to them converting titles like Transformers, Batman and other into Blu Ray format:)

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Blu Ray player now I can look forward to them converting titles like Transformers, Batman and other into Blu Ray format:)
Batman is Warner (and in all honesty, should have been on BD anyways).
So with luck, you will not have to wait long for that one (possibly by May).

But Transformers is Dreamworks (HD DVD only), so that will not be available any time soon (very likely no less than a year??)

Re: evilkat,
So can some one educate me on the profile/version debacle that is currently taking place on the BD side?
Mainly it is for interaction with the movie (downloading games/extras from online).
As well special feature interaction, with second audio commentary, etc...

But if you are like me, and just want to watch the movie, there is no problems there.
RARELY do I bother with special features.

The only disc(s) I have watched EVERY special feature was the entire Heroes set (HD DVD already has interaction)

BD-J, or Blu-ray Disc Java, is the interactive platform supporting advanced content for Blu-ray Disc. BD-J allows bonus content on Blu-ray Disc titles to be far more sophisticated than bonus content provided by standard DVD, including network access (such as for downloading updated trailers or accessing live studio events), picture-in-picture and access to local storage

Profile 1.0
Built-in persistent memory 64 KB (this basically is to store info, think of this like it was a BIOS for a computer)
Local storage capability -0- This is used for storing audio/video and title updates, makes sure movies will be compatible, etc.... similar to persistent, but allows for your personal storage.
*Secondary video decoder (PiP) = Optional (commentary video, etc... already mandatory on HD DVD)
*Secondary audio decoder = Optional (commentary audio, etc... already mandatory on HD DVD)
Virtual file system = Optional (this would be for the most part, home movies (etc.) that you burnt that are filed in folders, etc.. to be able to access the different files.)
Internet connection capability = Optional (this is for interactivity with on-line games/special features, etc. as well updates for firmware, already mandatory for HD DVD)
*secondary audio/video decoder is typically used for interactive audio and commentary (aka: special features on the disc)

Profile 1.1
Built-in persistent memory 64 KB
Local storage capability 256 MB
Secondary video decoder (PiP) = Mandatory
Secondary audio decoder = Mandatory
Virtual file system = Mandatory
Internet connection capability = Mandatory

Profile 2
Built-in persistent memory 64 KB
Local storage capability 1 GB
Secondary video decoder (PiP) = Mandatory
Secondary audio decoder = Mandatory
Virtual file system = Mandatory
Internet connection capability = Mandatory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Hope that helps, evilkat.;)

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
While a coup for Blu-Ray I'm not convinced this brings the battle to closure. This may just reduce demand for players costing in excess of $300 as flipping by studios will encourage few to buy the Onkyo or Denon hgh-end units.

I bought the A2 a few months back mainly for transformers for less than $200. My son has had a PS3 for a year now so I'm gonna sit on my hands. As Mazer said PS#3 is the ticket for now.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Dreamworks part of Times Warner corp.?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Dreamworks part of Times Warner corp.?
Paramount/Dreamworks SKG

There is talk of Dreamworks and Paramount splitting up, but at this point, where Paramount goes, Dreamworks follows. This meants things like Transformers and the Shrek films went to HD DVD.

Have no doubt this isn't the 'death' of HD DVD, it simply is a very realistic end to the format having any hope for long term success. At this time, movies from Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks are still exclusive to HD DVD, which is very likely to change in the next 12 months, but those who own HD DVD right now, will be able to enjoy them for the upcoming year of exclusivity.

The people most screwed are those who bought a lot of HD DVD discs, but then again, they will still be able to play those discs, they just won't get much if they decide to sell, or want to buy a new player a few years from now.

Kind of like Laser Disc... Just because the format died, didn't mean Laser Disc players stopped working. But, DVD really pushed things forward.

We'll see now if the real war can start to happen - DVD is the real target and the competition between Blu-ray and HDDL (HD DownLoads) is still going to run strong.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's about time... maybe this will spark the end of the format war.
I hear you!

I am kind of relieved with this news.

I can't wait for Transformers on blu-rays.:D

And I can't wait for Fox to switch over from DTS-MA to PCM, like LionsGate Films did with their latest release of "WAR" BD.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
uh oh. i bought an HD DVD player and watched just ONE movie on it. could it be my last?
Don't worry, soon Wal-Mart will be selling HD DVDs for $5 each and you can stock up.:D

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Hmm baddd. This news just makes me want to buy a 400$ PS3 now. I'm not even finished with upgrading my sound system yet. Still 1500$ to go. But the fact of having no HD sources in my house (except for browsing around on the internet on my tv) makes me wanna cry. I keep reading your posts saying HDM are nice and all.... I WANT THAT TOO!!

D

davo

Full Audioholic
It appears the HD-DVD camp may pull out of doing a press event at CES '08.
New Line Cinemas are bailing out of HD-DVD as well. Hello 'Lord of the Rings'.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

It appears the HD-DVD camp may pull out of doing a press event at CES '08.
New Line Cinemas are bailing out of HD-DVD as well. Hello 'Lord of the Rings'.
You have a source on that? New Line was neutral anyway.... and from what I understood the delay of HD release for LOTR was more about internal squabbles than related to the format war.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis