Blu Ray / HD DVD combo player and disc

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The Dukester said:
Ever heard of Audioholics?;) Go get 'em, boys!
Remember, I'm a caveman. We test by throwing, chewing, slamming and setting on fire. You really thought we would use that silly, magic thingy, what do you erectus call it? lets see...e-l-e-c-t-r-i-c-i-t-y. We use our tried and true methods (clubs) and remember we gave you fire.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
stratman said:
HA HA! Competent testers? Is there such a thing?;)

Actually, Sound&Vision does a great job. CR has great consumer feedback, very high statistics, Wide Screen Review does a good job. And, of course, AH.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello All,

When I first heard about this new dual format player I thought Hmmm… Possibly a seize fire in the format wars. Now that I have seen the player and talked with the LG rep I am not so sure. First will this player make it to market, and second any one but a caveman would be stupid enough to buy it. Consider this, as of this post you can purchase the Toshiba HD –A2 for less than the MSRP of $499. That leaves what, $700? Can you say PS-3 or Samsung BD-1000, with current firmware upgrade for what a cap of $599? Considering LG’s reputation manufacturing DVD players I will take my chances with two independent players. The only good news here for J6pack is that other manufacturers may introduce dual format players in the future at lower price points with proven quality track records.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Actually, Sound&Vision does a great job. CR has great consumer feedback, very high statistics, Wide Screen Review does a good job. And, of course, AH.
Oh my! Is this the same mtry that we have all known for many years, or a new softer gentler version?:D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
RLA, my cheers were not meant for LG ... it was for the technology that I'm hoping pioneer will soon get :)

IIRC, LG was previously "Goldstar" over here ... blek on quality

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
HDMI connectors are limited, and anything that frees some up is welcome.

But I'd still like to see full HD-DVD feature usage before I pay money for anything (and some good movies in HD too!).

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
RLA said:
Hello All,

When I first heard about this new dual format player I thought Hmmm… Possibly a seize fire in the format wars. Now that I have seen the player and talked with the LG rep I am not so sure. First will this player make it to market, and second any one but a caveman would be stupid enough to buy it. Consider this, as of this post you can purchase the Toshiba HD –A2 for less than the MSRP of $499. That leaves what, $700? Can you say PS-3 or Samsung BD-1000, with current firmware upgrade for what a cap of $599? Considering LG’s reputation manufacturing DVD players I will take my chances with two independent players. The only good news here for J6pack is that other manufacturers may introduce dual format players in the future at lower price points with proven quality track records.
As a caveman I take offense at that remark;) I don't care for LG as a brand, they'll pave the road for other manufacturers to follow(Panasonic, Denon, etc.)they're just throwing the first stone if you will. I'd rather wait than take your suggestion of buying all the extra hardware, I don't feel the need to fill my a/v cab with gear that I won't need, my space is too limited (good suggestion though).:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not into the dual format thing and I don't think it is going to help matters at all.

LG, of all companies, is especially stupid in all of this. LG stepped up from the start of the Blu-ray announcement as a very vocal supporter. They provided mis-information about what they would be putting out for years, and are now one of the last major companies to get anything to the table. Instead of being one of the first out with Blu-ray and setting a price point and quality level that would set the standards for others to match, they are putting out a player that is more expensive than a HD DVD player AND a Blu-ray player which would leave you extra cash if you needed it for a HDMI switcher from Monoprice.

Really, will there be a time when dual format players make sense? Perhaps, but I think that we have at least this year (2007) to get through to see what is going on with the format war. My personal opinion is that Blu-ray simply has to much muscle behind it to not start looking like it may be the winner by years-end. There are lots of reasons why HD DVD is excellent, but without lots of studio and CE support their road is much more tough to follow then the other side.

We will really be seeing some interesting things over the next year and looking at what is going on online it already looks like interesting things have been happenning over the past month or so.

LG is just late to the game, and coming in with a plan that may be more vaporware and half-baked product than a serious piece of gear that consumers will actually want to buy.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
BMXTRIX said:
I'm not into the dual format thing and I don't think it is going to help matters at all.

LG, of all companies, is especially stupid in all of this. LG stepped up from the start of the Blu-ray announcement as a very vocal supporter. They provided mis-information about what they would be putting out for years, and are now one of the last major companies to get anything to the table. Instead of being one of the first out with Blu-ray and setting a price point and quality level that would set the standards for others to match, they are putting out a player that is more expensive than a HD DVD player AND a Blu-ray player which would leave you extra cash if you needed it for a HDMI switcher from Monoprice.

Really, will there be a time when dual format players make sense? Perhaps, but I think that we have at least this year (2007) to get through to see what is going on with the format war. My personal opinion is that Blu-ray simply has to much muscle behind it to not start looking like it may be the winner by years-end. There are lots of reasons why HD DVD is excellent, but without lots of studio and CE support their road is much more tough to follow then the other side.

We will really be seeing some interesting things over the next year and looking at what is going on online it already looks like interesting things have been happenning over the past month or so.

LG is just late to the game, and coming in with a plan that may be more vaporware and half-baked product than a serious piece of gear that consumers will actually want to buy.
Yes, but notice they're stirring the pot. For a while nothing was really happening, yet in the last couple of weeks things are perking up. Maybe, even if it's vaporware, it's the kick-in-the-*** that's needed to go one way or the other. I'll stick to my guns (obviously I might be wrong, oh well)and go out on a limb and say that by summer's end this mess will be mostly ironed out. By that time they'll be thinking of the Christmas season and I'm sure they'll want to move more units than this past season. Especially after all the monetary investment.:) My 2 cents.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

RLA said:
Oh my! Is this the same mtry that we have all known for many years, or a new softer gentler version?:D

A simple question requires simple answers. No controversy:D But, time takes it's toll on many, may be in that crowd, or not:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
mtrycrafts said:
A simple question requires simple answers. No controversy:D But, time takes it's toll on many, may be in that crowd, or not:D
Are you saying we're cavemen?:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Just came from BB (slow day at office today), picked up Flyboys. Talked to my "insider" bud, the LG dual format player arrives in 10 to 14 days, some stores have them already. He said as he hears it the tally (for sales) goes to Bluray, it outsold HD-DVD (he said some higher ups are keeping tabs), pricing will be 1200.00 for the LG.

I'm calling my early adopter brother in law to see if he'll spring for the LG, then I can post on it.:D

I'm really curious as to what the outcome of the format scrimage will become once the LG is in place for a couple of months. The negative is people aren't buying right now, we just came of the holidays, but again now there's a strong incentive to buy and not get stuck with a dead format.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

stratman said:
Just came from BB (slow day at office today), picked up Flyboys. Talked to my "insider" bud, the LG dual format player arrives in 10 to 14 days, some stores have them already. He said as he hears it the tally (for sales) goes to Bluray, it outsold HD-DVD (he said some higher ups are keeping tabs), pricing will be 1200.00 for the LG.

I'm calling my early adopter brother in law to see if he'll spring for the LG, then I can post on it.:D

I'm really curious as to what the outcome of the format scrimage will become once the LG is in place for a couple of months. The negative is people aren't buying right now, we just came of the holidays, but again now there's a strong incentive to buy and not get stuck with a dead format.

Check out the AVS web site on this issue. Those guys seem to be monitoring it every minute:)
That LG doesn't have the HD-DVD logo on it even though it will play it. It has some shortcomings and the price.
I am now leaning to waiting some more as I want the 1080p/24 frame capability without waiting forever.
The PS3 and a Tos A2 looks good price wise, $499 and $380 but needs two shelf spaces.:eek: But, even that A2 has drawbacks.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
mtrycrafts said:
Check out the AVS web site on this issue. Those guys seem to be monitoring it every minute:)
That LG doesn't have the HD-DVD logo on it even though it will play it. It has some shortcomings and the price.
I am now leaning to waiting some more as I want the 1080p/24 frame capability without waiting forever.
The PS3 and a Tos A2 looks good price wise, $499 and $380 but needs two shelf spaces.:eek: But, even that A2 has drawbacks.
Mtry,
Man hold on till end of summer, things will be quite different. There are rumours (I'm trying to get to source through a friend) that Pioneer or Panasonic will be anouncing a dual format player, up to now this is heresay, let me see if I can get to the bottom of it, I'll let you know as soon as I know validity of rumour.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

stratman said:
Mtry,
Man hold on till end of summer, things will be quite different. There are rumours (I'm trying to get to source through a friend) that Pioneer or Panasonic will be anouncing a dual format player, up to now this is heresay, let me see if I can get to the bottom of it, I'll let you know as soon as I know validity of rumour.

Yes, thanks. I am holding as those two players have drawbacks that I need plugged. But, I'd rather not wait 3 years of HD enjoyment:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis