Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I just saw a trailer for it yesterday. I wasn't even aware they were working on a new one. From the trailer it looks like a continuation of the story, not a reboot or prequel. AND... Harrison Ford appears to be reprising his role as Rick Deckard in this sequel.

Any fans of the first one? Looking forward to the sequel?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That Harrison Ford is one active guy at his age. Very impressive actually. I never saw the original so I can't comment on the movie trailer, sorry.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What rock have you been under lol? The trailers have been out for over 6 months.

Gosling looks decent in the role. Uncertain about what character Leto is playing but it appears to be a villain. They've got the look and feel and even the sound (at least in the trailers). Eagerly awaiting this one.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What rock have you been under lol? The trailers have been out for over 6 months.
Well, nobody posted a thread about it!

We have one now. :D

*Edit: You got a chuckle from me when you rated my "love you" post informative yesterday, btw... :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I posted the trailer, but it wasn't in its own thread. Can't wait for it. Loved the original.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ford is definitely still Deckard and Gosling seems to be a new generation of Blade Runner. Lots of big names in it. Also it is directed by Dennis Villeneuve who did a fine job on Arrival, so I am expecting good things.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I hope they do a good job with it!
It does seem like Hollywood has gotten better about not always just milking the name of a hit move in the sequel (but they still do it).
I always thought it was very generous to credit the movie to Phillip K. D1ck's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep! I read it in high school and revisited it recently on books on tape when I was doing a lot of driving. It is an incredible book (especially if you consider it was written in 1968!), and anyone would be a fool to actually attempt to make a movie from the book with consistency.
That said, Blade Runner was a great movie and the director/producer/writer were smart enough to parse out a very good movie from the book.
...did Ford own an electric sheep in the movie? I don't remember.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Been hearing about this for a while, but hadn't seen a trailer yet. I would possibly even drive into town to see this one but will definitely buy the bluray. October 6 release date in US per imdb.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Blade Runner didn't exactly call for a sequel. If it wasn't for Dennis Villeneuve, I would have zero interest in this and dismiss is as just a bone-headed cash grab. Villeneuve has done interesting things so far, so maybe if he sees something of merit here, it is not totally worthless.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
The original Blade Runner is one of the greatest movies of all time.
If you didn't know it was made 35 years ago, you might think it was made last year.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The original Blade Runner is one of the greatest movies of all time.
If you didn't know it was made 35 years ago, you might think it was made last year.
And I think they blended Harrison very nicely into his new roll. he also aged 35 years. Too bad that the dates in the future is not 35 years apart but only 30.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
First heard of this new movie like a year ago and saw the trailer when it came out.. Hopefully they can do another great piece.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just bought my tix for Thurs Oct 5 to see it in the new Dolby Cinema theater that recently opened. Looking forward to it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just bought my tix for Thurs Oct 5 to see it in the new Dolby Cinema theater that recently opened. Looking forward to it.
Great, now we will get a good review. Actually, this does look really good. Chances are great that I will go see this one. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't know if I'll see it in theaters.

But I will definitely watch this movie somewhere.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
What rock have you been under lol?
+1
I had to. It is just unbelievable to me. Together with the fact that Het never saw the original movie. I really didn't know this is possible. I do follow cinema art closely, that's true, but still I thought this is one of those movies which even today everyone saw given they're over 25.

The MOST promising fact about it is that Ridiculous Scott is not directing it. That man aged poorly (this is me being as polite as humanly possible).

I don't really agree with KEW that Hollywood got better at remakes and think that the least promising fact about the movie is the moment in time when it gets remade. I could barely name one or two remakes that are done well. It's always an empty husk with expensive production value. Eye candy's and nothing more and it's even not a particularly nice candy. (Just a notice; the term "remake" is arguably the least precise term in the theory of cinema, this causes a lot of problems when debating.)

Someone asked before in the thread, it seems Leto will preside over Tyrell Corporation or something similar.

Commonly, when talking about movies, people ascribe the authorship to the director. When you go a bit deeper into the subject you'll see the smallest team to be "blamed" for a movie are the director, cinematographer and screenwriter. Today when movies are being done without chasing the shooting locations and over 50% is sometimes done in front of the green screen (formerly known as blue screen:)) you should add at least one other person to the mix and that's the production designer.

This leaves us with:
Dennis Villeneuve
Hampton Fancher, story/screenplay, who wrote the original, so that's promising
Michael Green, screenwriter, (I could only write insults here, so better not) who wrote such BS as Alien: Covenant, Green Lantern and Logan, so this is almost to make one skip the movie entirely
Roger Deakins, camera, who shot No Country For Old Men, Skyfall and Shawshank, so this is as promising, if not more, as the Villeneuve himself
and
Dennis Gassner, production designer, who already worked with the cameraman on Skyfall and many Brothers Cohen movies and also did work on many great looking movies like: Truman Show, Big Fish, Ladykillers, Into The Woods and similar.

The chances are favorable and Villneueve is still young and spunky (Polytechnique, Sicario...). It's just that Hollywood made me feel stupid whenever expecting anything.

The beginning of the 80' with a bitter taste of 70's politics were just the right amount of cynical in America. And that was needed and welcome especially with that empty-headed twat of an actor for president. Blade Runner was probably among the most Marxist movies of its time. Now, Villeneueve is obviously a liberal (Arrival) and I'm afraid the deepest he can go on the subject is let the androids go "free" and find out who and what they can be for themselves type of BS. Something of "facebook-deep" caption of be who you are or reinvent yourself. As even the liberals today understand they are a complete failure in sparking any type of emancipatory politics.

jinjuku

jinjuku

That Harrison Ford is one active guy at his age. Very impressive actually. I never saw the original so I can't comment on the movie trailer, sorry.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
The original movie was mind blowing especially if you watched it back then. It still holds up today amazingly enough.

The more HF can be kept on screen the safer air travel is for the globe.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The original has held up extremely well. We watched it last week in prep for the new one and it is still great. Visually, the 25th anniversary edition looks incredible. Some of the effects are not a bit dated, but most of them are still visually stunning; on par if not better than current CG.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis