Bi-Amp Issue Onkyo TX-NR818

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
HI Guys , I have an only TX-NR818 Receiver . I still use because of its exceptional sound quality. I use it more for 2 channel music in ( Pure music mode ) . Recently I had the infamous HDMI ( DSP) Chip problem, which resulted in No sound at all . I used the heat gun method with flux to fix that problem and it all went to plan . I have always used it in Bi-amp mode with my Mirage OM6 towers and the sound was just so musical and full .
However, I've recently noticed that the midrange sound from one of the left speakers is slightly muddy and distorted. , To troubleshoot the issue, I changed the receiver mode from ‘Bi-amp’ mode to ‘Normal’ mode and the speaker sound is just fine . Bi-amp mode speaker cables is connected to the (Front High ) speaker terminals .All the speaker terminals sounds just fine , except for the ‘Front High’ speaker terminals .
I tried cleaning the dust and checked if the wiring was normal, but my expertise ends there. . I don’t know what else to do . Right now Im using the receiver in “Normal” mode and the sound is good but not as full and tight as the Bi-amp mode . I really love the sound quality of this receiver, especially for my 2-channel listening, having used many quality receivers in the past.
Any kind of help is greatly appreciated. I know there are many qualified people here who have expertise in this matter. . Thanks again . Emmany

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wanted one of those for a while as it had an actual high pass/low pass setup for "real" bi-amping. Crossover settings are? Were the cables still connected when you switched the bi-amp mode off? Or did you connect the terminals on the speakers and use normal amp output for l/r channels?

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
I wanted one of those for a while as it had an actual high pass/low pass setup for "real" bi-amping. Crossover settings are? Were the cables still connected when you switched the bi-amp mode off? Or did you connect the terminals on the speakers and use normal amp output for l/r channels?
Hi Mate , Thanks for the reply . The receiver had 3 options for the speakers in the setup menu ( Normal , Bi-Amp , Digital Crossover ) . I have been using it on Bi-amp mode and didnt know much about the digital crossover, so I just chose Bi-amp . The cables were all connected in Bi-amp mode , but I had to put the jumper connecting the 2 pairs of speaker terminals in the back of the speaker , when I changed the mode back to 'Normal' . So what does teh digital crossover do ?. Should I select that option instead?. Thanks a ton for your reply . Cheers. Emmany

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Mate , Thanks for the reply . The receiver had 3 options for the speakers in the setup menu ( Normal , Bi-Amp , Digital Crossover ) . I have been using it on Bi-amp mode and didnt know much about the digital crossover, so I just chose Bi-amp . The cables were all connected in Bi-amp mode , but I had to put the jumper connecting the 2 pairs of speaker terminals in the back of the speaker , when I changed the mode back to 'Normal' . So what does teh digital crossover do ?. Should I select that option instead?. Thanks a ton for your reply . Cheers. Emmany
Wasn't sure if bi-amp mode incorporated the digital crossover as I didn't review the manual. Best to use digital crossover after you remove the passive crossover from your speakers; with just bi-amp mode your avr is sending the same signal to both outputs. This (digitally) is a great way to actually bi-amp speakers to an extent, but usually best left to a design for that purpose rather than taking what is likely a perfectly good crossover out of your speakers This is why generally avr bi-amping isn't useful otoh, as the passive crossovers are still in play as well as the single power supply generally with an avr.

I'd simply connect the L/R speaker terminals to the speakers using the connecting bars (or if you don't have them just more speaker wire will work fine). Passive bi-amping with avrs and most speakers is simply a waste of wire.

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
Wasn't sure if bi-amp mode incorporated the digital crossover as I didn't review the manual. Best to use digital crossover after you remove the passive crossover from your speakers; with just bi-amp mode your avr is sending the same signal to both outputs. This (digitally) is a great way to actually bi-amp speakers to an extent, but usually best left to a design for that purpose rather than taking what is likely a perfectly good crossover out of your speakers This is why generally avr bi-amping isn't useful otoh, as the passive crossovers are still in play as well as the single power supply generally with an avr.

I'd simply connect the L/R speaker terminals to the speakers using the connecting bars (or if you don't have them just more speaker wire will work fine). Passive bi-amping with avrs and most speakers is simply a waste of wire.
Thanks mate . I have the AVR in "Normal mode" , I did read and see videos that passive bi-amping , doesnt make a difference . The speakers terminals behind the speakers are connected using the jumper metal connector . Do you think the distortion is caused by a capacitor or some output device gone bad ?. Cheers .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks mate . I have the AVR in "Normal mode" , I did read and see videos that passive bi-amping , doesnt make a difference . The speakers terminals behind the speakers are connected using the jumper metal connector . Do you think the distortion is caused by a capacitor or some output device gone bad ?. Cheers .
Distortion could be source material, damaged drivers or crossover.....

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
Distortion could be source material, damaged drivers or crossover.....
I tried it with another speaker , different songs etc . But it was just that single channel " Front High" which is distorting . Every other channel sounds crystal clear .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried it with another speaker , different songs etc . But it was just that single channel " Front High" which is distorting . Every other channel sounds crystal clear .
So even when you switch wire for that channel with another? Could be limited to that channel too. I'd even try a soft reset (unplug the avr from power for a bit) or even a hard/factory/microprocessor reset to continue analyzing things....

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
I tried swapping speaker cables , even tried out another speaker . I did update the firmware and did a factory reset.Still the same outcome .

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
So even when you switch wire for that channel with another? Could be limited to that channel too. I'd even try a soft reset (unplug the avr from power for a bit) or even a hard/factory/microprocessor reset to continue analyzing things....
I tried swapping speaker cables , even tried out another speaker . I did update the firmware and did a factory reset.Still the same outcome .

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
How about reconfiguring speakers to use another channel?
I followed the manual to connect the speakers . It only suggests that I connect itto the Front Highs speaker terminals on the AVR . Can I assign a different pair of terminals for Bi-amping ?.
Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 2.17.52 PM.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I followed the manual to connect the speakers . It only suggests that I connect itto the Front Highs speaker terminals on the AVR . Can I assign a different pair of terminals for Bi-amping ?.
View attachment 68188
Not sure we're on the same page here. What is your speaker setup? I'd forget the avr bi-amping feature and the extra cable needed.....

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
Not sure we're on the same page here. What is your speaker setup? I'd forget the avr bi-amping feature and the extra cable needed.....
Each speaker is using 2 pairs of cables , just like this image . Thats how I was using the Bi-amp setup .
Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 2.17.52 PM.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Each speaker is using 2 pairs of cables , just like this image . Thats how I was using the Bi-amp setup . View attachment 68189
That's what I'd not do any more. Just connect the L/R output terminals on the amp to each speaker and make sure the jumpers are in place on each speaker to prevent damage (probably strips with stock speaker but a lot of ways to equate that). So much bullshit involved with passive/avr "bi-amping".....just hook 'em up normally and if you really need more amp you have pre-outs to accommodate such....

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
That's what I'd not do any more. Just connect the L/R output terminals on the amp to each speaker and make sure the jumpers are in place on each speaker to prevent damage (probably strips with stock speaker but a lot of ways to equate that). So much bullshit involved with passive/avr "bi-amping".....just hook 'em up normally and if you really need more amp you have pre-outs to accommodate such....
Thanks mate :) . I have connected to AVR normally to the L/R channel and it doesnt have any distortion . But there was some magic in the bass and midrange when I had it connected in Bi-amp mode .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks mate :) . I have connected to AVR normally to the L/R channel and it doesnt have any distortion . But there was some magic in the bass and midrange when I had it connected in Bi-amp mode .
You sure about that? Doesn't make much sense without some major faults that likely wouldn't be addressed by simply changing mode. Brains make strange experiences sometimes. Can you measure?

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
You sure about that? Doesn't make much sense without some major faults that likely wouldn't be addressed by simply changing mode. Brains make strange experiences sometimes. Can you measure?
My guess would be one channel amp has gone bad due to a bad capacitor or some issue , but again I might be wrong . Because the other channels are crystal clear . The only channel which Distorts is the 'High speaker" right channel behind the AVR . The 'High speaker' Left too sounds crystal clear .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My guess would be one channel amp has gone bad due to a bad capacitor or some issue , but again I might be wrong . Because the other channels are crystal clear . The only channel which Distorts is the 'High speaker" right channel behind the AVR . The 'High speaker' Left too sounds crystal clear .
Then I'd say that channel has taken a sh*t perhaps :). I was more thinking about using different speakers/positions to still use your current gear even if at fault,, but if at fault I'd generally move on, too....good luck!

emmany

emmany

Enthusiast
Then I'd say that channel has taken a sh*t perhaps :). I was more thinking about using different speakers/positions to still use your current gear even if at fault,, but if at fault I'd generally move on, too....good luck!
Thanks mate . I love this AVR's sound quality , thats why I want to hold on to it . Thanks a lot for your input . I really appreciate your time . Cheers mate . Emmany

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis