Best subs for strictly music that'll make me feel the drums?

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Haha. Try that with some sealed 8-10” subs he recommended in your room, and not yours.
Hmm the A400's were a sealed acoustic suspension design... dual 8"

I heard them in various demo spaces at the time - most commonly a large barn like space that was the main showroom .... so a difficult space for bass

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
The trouble is that it gets it all down to luck, and the rear radiation will not be correct. I have heard the ESL 63 with monopole subs, and the result was strange, but not right.
Alistair Robertson-Aikman had a strong steel frame made that held four Quad ESLs. So four per side, 8 in all. Obviously in a planer speaker that increases the bass response and lowers F3 greatly. Those were in his demo room at SME. I never heard the rig, but by reports it sounded awesome.
That must have been awesome - to get the midrange purity of the original ESL57, combined with increased bass... (I always fancied the stacked Quads... but 4 way stacks !? WOW!)

WAF = -10 (unfortunately!)

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I'd think many pro style subs would work if you don't need much below 30hz "for music" but personally I find subs that go much lower more useful in general "for music". YMMV.
It depends on the music, of course. The low E string on a bass guitar produces 30 hz. Bass drums that go below that aren't very well adjusted (Yes I was a professional drummer a long time ago.) I used to tune my 20" bass drum to around 40 hz or even 45. So if your music fare is rock or pop be sure things are reasonably flat down to 30. If your music fare gets into things like pipe organs, then you should try to get to 20hz without too much loss of volume. Below that you should get mostly flutter rather than sound from a speaker. You could feel 10hz, for instance, but not hear it.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Low E on the Bass is roughly 40Hz (41.2Hz). 5-string Basses can utilize a low-B below that (30.9Hz).
Yes, thanks. I was thinking of a piano but assigned the frequency to a bass guitar. A0 is a little lower than 30hz on a piano. Sorry for the minsinfo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It depends on the music, of course. The low E string on a bass guitar produces 30 hz. Bass drums that go below that aren't very well adjusted (Yes I was a professional drummer a long time ago.) I used to tune my 20" bass drum to around 40 hz or even 45. So if your music fare is rock or pop be sure things are reasonably flat down to 30. If your music fare gets into things like pipe organs, then you should try to get to 20hz without too much loss of volume. Below that you should get mostly flutter rather than sound from a speaker. You could feel 10hz, for instance, but not hear it.
Yes, and I do like organs and synthesizers....and like getting the "massage" from infrasonics :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, thanks. I was thinking of a piano but assigned the frequency to a bass guitar. A0 is a little lower than 30hz on a piano. Sorry for the minsinfo.
Piano is ~29Hz. A good Imperial Grand can go lower, but those are rare. I got to play with one from time to time as it was the performance piano in the recital hall back when I was in Music School. Tori Amos uses a Bosendorfer Imp.Grand. (fwiw) (kinda cool, though.)

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Piano is ~29Hz. A good Imperial Grand can go lower, but those are rare. I got to play with one from time to time as it was the performance piano in the recital hall back when I was in Music School. Tori Amos uses a Bosendorfer Imp.Grand. (fwiw) (kinda cool, though.)
My pro piano gigs were using an upright with tacked hammers in a beer bar with sawdust on the floor. Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue. I was a better drummer. I play an electric piano today and don't play drums at all any more.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Low E on the Bass is roughly 40Hz (41.2Hz). 5-string Basses can utilize a low-B below that (30.9Hz).
I saw that and it made me, say , huh !. The low E-string on a 4 string bass guitar is usually tuned to 41.2 Hz, while the lowest note on a standard piano is A at 27.5 Hz . A 5 or 6 string bass which usually have their low B strings down to 31 Hz

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, and I do like organs and synthesizers....and like getting the "massage" from infrasonics :)
If you listen to Lucky Man, by ELP, pay attention to the synths toward the end- that can definitely be felt in the body. Not subsonic, but it really is interesting with a system that can handle frequencies well that are below 50Hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you listen to Lucky Man, by ELP, pay attention to the synths toward the end- that can definitely be felt in the body. Not subsonic, but it really is interesting with a system that can handle frequencies well that are below 50Hz.
Original or remix? :) Hopefully both....there is some good low stuff on that album....

highfigh

highfigh

Original or remix? :) Hopefully both....there is some good low stuff on that album....
For the synths I'm referring to, it really doesn't matter which mix it is because it's not pure tones or near 20Hz. That particular sound starts around 4:10 and it doesn't last long. Another one that really hit me when I heard it played live is 'Palladium', by Weather Report. A high school classmate joined a band in '75 and the first time I went to see them play, Palladium was in their repertoire and through a real, professional PA (not speakers on a stick), it really was impressive-sounding.

M

MatijaSever

Audiophyte
I'm in search of a pair of subs that will be my (theoretical) endgame. The room is slightly over 5000 ^3 feet and its kind of an awkward layout. The living room, kitchen, and dining room are all one massive rectangle. I'm rocking 2 SVS SB 1000 pros right now and you can gather they're undersized quite quickly. Primary focus of the system is music. Have a pair of Klipsch Cornwall 1's being fed from a Peachtree Nova 150. I want subs that are powerful enough to make the music impactful, but still retain transients. Listen to mostly metalcore/rock. Size does not matter. Budget $3000-$4000
I'm in search of a pair of subs that will be my (theoretical) endgame. The room is slightly over 5000 ^3 feet and its kind of an awkward layout. The living room, kitchen, and dining room are all one massive rectangle. I'm rocking 2 SVS SB 1000 pros right now and you can gather they're undersized quite quickly. Primary focus of the system is music. Have a pair of Klipsch Cornwall 1's being fed from a Peachtree Nova 150. I want subs that are powerful enough to make the music impactful, but still retain transients. Listen to mostly metalcore/rock. Size does not matter. Budget $3000-$4000

K

kini

Full Audioholic
It would be over budget for a pair but Funk/Harbottle would be my choice. Funk subs would look great with those speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It would be over budget for a pair but Funk/Harbottle would be my choice. Funk subs would look great with those speakers.
Bot anyone? Kini, did you notice it's an exact quote from the OP?

highfigh

highfigh

Sealed subs will generate more harmonic distortion but less phase distortion. Harmonic distortion is generally a lot more audible than phase distortion. Group delay is a type of phase distortion. But this all depends on how either the phase distortion or harmonic distortion is manifesting. Lots of group delay at higher frequencies would be pretty audible, and if the harmonic distortion is comprised of higher-order components, that is also very audible.

Also, no modern loudspeakers or especially subs are made in accordance with acoustic suspension principles that were advanced by Edgar Vilchur in the 1950s. Back then, the magnets weren't as powerful, so they didn't act as well as the restoring force of the moving assembly. These days the magnets are so much more powerful, especially in subwoofers. The motor is overwhelmingly the restoring force unless the moving assembly moves so far out that the suspension tension is what restrains its motion.
But look at the suspension that was used in the '50s- it wasn't foam or butyl rubber, it was pleated and doped. They had inherent control over the cone's movement that doesn't exist in more compliant cone assemblies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis