Best speakers you've ever owned.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I will add... I am very eager to get them in my room. 4 months if I'm lucky. ;) And if these perform on par with what I heard at Mr.C's house. Hell. I can't imagine having a complaint at all.
Why so long?
Are you having Salk build the cabinets? Is Dennis having supply chain issues, or is Dennis so busy with other orders that his backlog is so long?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
O

Well, you never know. Maybe he has the top of the line cubes! :p
I knew someone who, when he bought his first new car, said it was a Chevette- we were happy for him, but we weren't impressed, so he said "But it's loaded!".

Maybe his Bose cubes are loaded.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Why so long?
Are you having Salk build the cabinets? Is Dennis having supply chain issues, or is Dennis so busy with other orders that his backlog is so long?
I believe backlog, he said a 6 month wait during Christmas time which is around when he originally asked him. But maybe it’s supply chain who knows :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Why so long?
Jim builds all the Phil3 cabinets, now, I think. But I am going all in for Dennis’ premium finish, which is Salks standard finish. This alone adds a good chunk of time to the process, for s cabinet like that. The regular Phil-3 finish is a 1-day process, normally. (Iirc)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Jim builds all the Phil3 cabinets, now, I think. But I am going all in for Dennis’ premium finish, which is Salks standard finish. This alone adds a good chunk of time to the process, for s cabinet like that. The regular Phil-3 finish is a 1-day process, normally. (Iirc)
DOH! Crap! I knew that! LOL!
Jim Salk does amazing finishes, you will be glad you waited ... after the wait is over!;)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My favorite speakers to listen to in the system they're in are Dennis' MBOW1 3-ways. There's something about that OW1 tweet with the bottom end of the bass cab plus the two DIY subs (nearfield) that works. They're sort of like a sealed version of the Plil line with the dual cabs.

The ST's are too far away from the subs which don't have the same oomph as the DIY'ers so the system isn't as engaging.

Never done a side by side comparison. Don't have to. My fun meter is flawless.
Nearfield ftw. It solves a lot of issues ...especially if you have to mind you volume.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Best I have owned are my current SVS MTS-01's.

The speakers I have heard that I wish I owned are...

Salk SS8's

Phil 3's

Maggie 1.6's

Paradigm S8's

DCM Timewindows

Speakers i want to hear...

Maggie 20.1's

Salk SS10's

Klipschhorns

many others!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Best I have owned are my current SVS MTS-01's.

The speakers I have heard that I wish I owned are...

Salk SS8's

Phil 3's

Maggie 1.6's

Paradigm S8's

DCM Timewindows

Speakers i want to hear...

Maggie 20.1's

Salk SS10's

Klipschhorns

many others!

Great post!
I own Infinity Primus 363s - pretty decent
Best I have owned original DCM Time Windows - sounded like music
Best I have ever heard Magnepan 1s - a friend had 4 of these powered by an Ampzilla with a Fons TT and a Revox high end reel back in the late 70s. Sounded like the piano was in the room.
Speakers I want to hear probably some newer large Maggies.
Thanks again for the great post

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Another speaker that I was quite fond of is the SVS Ultra Bookshelfs. The build quality is amazing to say the least. The Al tweeter is very airy and smooth. In fact, it is the best iteration of an metallic dome tweeter that I have ever heard/owned. :)

Cheers,

Phil

Attachments

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Holy cow Phil, I went into sugar shock just looking at those pics !!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Holy cow Phil, I went into sugar shock just looking at those pics !!!
Yeah, I suppose I have a real problem with candy. :eek: No really, I sold them for my Philippine sister. She is always looking for a way to make an extra buck or two. Tina sold them at her work-why not at my apartment complex? There were (22) apartments all in one building at my former place. As such, it was very easy to do. We even offered some credit. The whole time we did this we only got stiffed for $14! Not bad if you ask me. My new place only has (6) apartments in my building. Who knows, Tina may want me to give it another shot. :p

Cheers,

Phil

BTW, do you mind to list all of your gear? I must say it is rather impressive! Thanks!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I love mine, though mine are walnut finish. How are you liking yours so far?

I initially thought my R500 were the best speakers I've ever owned. That changed when I got the LS50's. Now that I've got Dirac Live tuning-in the R500's to work best in my room, they're back on top!
Hey Ken! When I had my Q750s, I thought they were pretty close to the (old) R series, based on casual listening and a few auditions. It was not until I got the R500s into my space that I found out how wrong I was! The new Q series is excellent; the old R series is much, much better and (still) justifies the price difference. I want to write up a review, but suffice it to say that my R500s take clarity, speed, imaging and ease of dynamics to another level. Very satisfied!

Edit: The fact that I got the R500s for the price of the Q750s is a nice little bonus!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
In most cases people only buys loudspeakers that they they think are better than the ones they currently have. This is something that I uniquely can attest to as I have golden ears o_O

Over the decades I have many fond memories of listening to music, and technically, most of the time the quality of the loud speakers was pretty bad. At least far worse than those I've had the last decade or so, which where pretty good as I had some money at last.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
In most cases people only buys loudspeakers that they they think are better than the ones they currently have. This is something that I uniquely can attest to as I have golden ears o_O

Over the decades I have many fond memories of listening to music, and technically, most of the time the quality of the loud speakers was pretty bad. At least far worse than those I've had the last decade or so, which where pretty good as I had some money at last.
and your examples are ..........

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I've heard your speakers Mikado, they're nice. They're out of my price range, but still nice. I can still dream. :(

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The current Song 3 encores are the best sounding speakers of I've owned. I can say that the midrange and tweeter just reveal everything, good and bad. I'm looking foward to ordering JTRs for the theater setup.

Past gear has always considered good. L100, L220, Klipsch lascala, Theil cs 2.2s , Martin Logan prodigy's, and the odd ball that I like was the original DCM Time Windows. Owned B$W, Monitor Audio, Fostex, and a few others.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Ken! When I had my Q750s, I thought they were pretty close to the (old) R series, based on casual listening and a few auditions. It was not until I got the R500s into my space that I found out how wrong I was! The new Q series is excellent; the old R series is much, much better and (still) justifies the price difference. I want to write up a review, but suffice it to say that my R500s take clarity, speed, imaging and ease of dynamics to another level. Very satisfied!

Edit: The fact that I got the R500s for the price of the Q750s is a nice little bonus!
What a bargain you got on them! Mine were dealer demo models with just over two years of intermittent use for $1800. With the R200c and R50 toppers in a low-ceiling room (only 7'4") and R100 surrounds (not shown) everything sounds incredible.
Pats_Charger_Playoff_2019.jpg

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Have taken a crap load of pics just over the last few years and going to see if I can post some better pics. However, please keep in mind that I am by no means a photographer. ;)

SAM_0172.JPG
SAM_0182 (1).JPG
SAM_0172.JPG
SAM_0182 (1).JPG
SAM_0172.JPG
SAM_0182 (1).JPG
SAM_0060 (4).JPG
SAM_0247 (8).JPG
SAM_0278 (7).JPG
SAM_0286 (9).JPG
SAM_0313 (4).JPG
SAM_0351 (5).JPG

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Have no idea why it is making duplicates on some of my pics. Oh well, here are some that I wanted to post. More to come! :cool:

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis