Best speakers you've ever owned.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Best speakers I've owned, I own now, JBL L100t3's, L20t3's, and B-380 sub. I am now saving however for a pair of JBL 4429's to replace the L100t3's, as I want more effortless volume, within my very limited means. I'd really like a pair of L200's, L300's, or the current 4367's but at $15,000 those are 3 times what the 4429's cost and I just can't swing it.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, I think I've heard those ADS before, but a long time ago....and a neighbor had some fancy Polks before I was much into it, but that was before the SDAs but they sounded nice.

I've had generally good speakers...my first good set was the Original Advent Loudspeaker back in 72 when I was in high school; I lusted after JBL L100s at the time but they were more expensive. I recently picked up a pair of JBL 4311Bs, tho, and that's like a trip back to high school. I had some Carver Amazing Loudspeakers that I liked a lot but a friend killed them by turning the volume knob to 11 :) and then had subsequent damage due to a move so didn't have them repaired (again, the ribbons had failed before). I've had a variety of speakers otherwise and like my Ascend Sierra-1s a lot as well as my Dayton BR-1 kit speakers as well as my latest JBL S5xx series (and LSR 305s). Much of the time in my earlier days I had bought into the electronics are more important unfortunately rather than speakers but I also shared living spaces so mostly just had small bookshelves for the most part. I'm more interested in diy solutions from here on out...but dream speakers like the JBL M2 or big Revels would be nice but not exactly what I'd like to budget for among other things....
Maybe those older Polks were the early 80s large bookshelf Monitor 7s. I owned a pair and the vocals were astounding. They did have a tendency for blown tweeters with any serious volume. And as good as they were the Time Windows were better.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Attachments

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty sure it wasn't as late as 80 but rather mid 70s.

Maybe those older Polks were the early 80s large bookshelf Monitor 7s. I owned a pair and the vocals were astounding. They did have a tendency for blown tweeters with any serious volume. And as good as they were the Time Windows were better.

B

beginjapan!

Audioholic Intern
Pretty sure it wasn't as late as 80 but rather mid 70s.
The original polk tweets did blow easily. I went through a few myself. Luckily they evolved to a better configuration and they were fairly robust in the later 80s.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
B&W 801 Matrix Series 2

Back in the 90's I thought I was an audiophile. I can laugh about it now. But those 801's along with the Classe electronics made me think I could hear things that I really couldn't. Live and learn.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
The best overall "these are the only sound sources and I'm listening in stereo" were my B&W 801Ns.
That said: the B&W 801 Matrix3's were 98% of that sound in a lighter, easier to power package. Also much uglier.

The speakers I would fill the house with would be my Salk SCSTs. Though their bass is shocking for the driver size (yay mass-loaded TL); Those do need to be paired with subs.

My Infinity RSIIIb's, and Philharmonic 2's also need shout's out in this regard.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
The difference in the 4311B that I read was that the original 4311 had a titanium tweeter but apparently people didn't like it so they revised it and voila the 4311B, but they're both supposedly basically the L100 from what I know. I haven't double checked the drivers for model number yet (plan to replace the pushed in dust caps on the tweets and mids....even tho they sound okay. I remember your mods, thanks for the link/file. Pics of the drivers attached
The 4311 did not have a titanium tweeter.

All three drivers on the 4311B are different from those on the 4311.

They started using ferrite for the magnets as opposed to the alnico used on the drivers on earlier models. At the time the cost of alnico shot up so it was more cost effective to move to ferrite. Some people swear by alnico magnets. Crossovers were also different.

The 4311 had these drivers:
LE 5-2 Midrange
LE 25 Tweeter
2213 Woofer

The 4311B had these drivers:
LE 5-10 Midrange
LE 25-2 Tweeter
2313 H Woofer

There were 3 versions of the L100 and they were each equivalents of different 43XX models.

IIRC:
The original and less common L100 with the "in-line" driver arrangement is the home version of the famous 4310 monitor.

The first L100a with the staggered drivers and the black JBL logo is the home version of the 4311

The second L100a with the staggered drivers and the orange JBL logo is the home version of the 4311b. I believe the production of this model was in Northridge.

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
B&W 803 D3. Love the diamond tweeter (maybe because of my old ears)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 4311 did not have a titanium tweeter.

All three drivers on the 4311B are different from those on the 4311.

They started using ferrite for the magnets as opposed to the alnico used on the drivers on earlier models. At the time the cost of alnico shot up so it was more cost effective to move to ferrite. Some people swear by alnico magnets. Crossovers were also different.

The 4311 had these drivers:
LE 5-2 Midrange
LE 25 Tweeter
2213 Woofer

The 4311B had these drivers:
LE 5-10 Midrange
LE 25-2 Tweeter
2313 H Woofer

There were 3 versions of the L100 and they were each equivalents of different 43XX models.

IIRC:
The original and less common L100 with the "in-line" driver arrangement is the home version of the famous 4310 monitor.

The first L100a with the staggered drivers and the black JBL logo is the home version of the 4311

The second L100a with the staggered drivers and the orange JBL logo is the home version of the 4311b. I believe the production of this model was in Northridge.
I didn't research much but didn't find this much detail....what source do you use?

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I didn't research much but didn't find this much detail....what source do you use?
First hand experience. I had the early in-line version and the first "A" version in here (actual units below). You can start with the Lansing Heritage site. The in-line version (4310) drivers (all including tweeter were alnico), cross-overs and port size were also different from the ones I listed for you. Between the two I preferred the early in-line version.

Last edited:
E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Give a shout out to the best pair of speakers you've ever owned and let us know if you still have them.
Bowers & Wilkins 805D2 with a REL S/2 Sub. Yes I still have them.

B&W 803 D3. Love the diamond tweeter (maybe because of my old ears)
Your ears are fine. That is one of the best tweeters out there. Smooth and detailed without pain. Don't let the spike in someones plot lead you astray. They are much better and less harsh than a speaker like the LS50 which are supposed to be neutral (I had those in here too). With real music in a real room, no contest between those tweeters (or speakers for that matter).

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
B&W 801 Matrix Series 2

Back in the 90's I thought I was an audiophile. I can laugh about it now. But those 801's along with the Classe electronics made me think I could hear things that I really couldn't. Live and learn.
Yeah but it sure was fun. As Fox Mulder would say : "I want to believe" :)

B

beginjapan!

Audioholic Intern
Bowers & Wilkins 805D2 with a REL S/2 Sub. Yes I still have them.

Your ears are fine. That is one of the best tweeters out there. Smooth and detailed without pain. Don't let the spike in someones plot lead you astray. They are much better and less harsh than a speaker like the LS50 which are supposed to be neutral (I had those in here too). With real music in a real room, no contest between those tweeters (or speakers for that matter).

Nice sub!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Definitely my triamped dual TL speakers built in 2006.

Each speaker powered by 550 watts, the sound is not only accurate, but effortless no matter what the program. The accuracy of the bass is outstanding being deep and non resonant. The bass can be powerful and also when required deep and light as a feather. The rest of the range is of the highest quality. These speakers continue to astound me, and produce the most true to life sound I have ever heard. I have heard a lot of speakers in my time and some very expensive ones at that, but they do not compare favorably with these. I don't think I will ever tire of them. They transport you like a magic carpet.

M

MichiganExplorer1981

Enthusiast
I know they were nothing special audio wise, but they were special to me. They were the first pair of towers I bought back in junior high school. I worked a paper route to save up the money to buy them. They lasted for 15 years without any issues. They also rocked many college parties in the early late 90’s!!
My Technics SB-A31 (3 way speakers)

Attachments

M

MichiganExplorer1981

Enthusiast
I know they were nothing special audio wise, but they were special to me. They were the first pair of towers I bought back in junior high school. I worked a paper route to save up the money to buy them. They lasted for 15 years without any issues. They also rocked many college parties in the early late 90’s!!
My Technics SB-A31 (3 way speakers)
I forgot to mention that I gave them to my nephews, they are still using them in their appointment.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis