Best Speaker Brands

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
SVS has impressed the heck out of me. I bought the M-series last week....wow. They are a lot of bang for the buck.

Im really interested to see what the L-series will sound like.

SVS is an excellent speaker company

S

Stereodoctor

Audiophyte
They're right. I can't afford any of the above mentioned brands, but the Sony (yes, Sony) speaker/subwoofer combo I bought for $400 sounds pretty good for what I paid. It's not what I really *wanted* to get, but when you're on a tight budget, you get the best you possibly can. I'm happy with them. :)
Why? Why do I continually hear this same statement presented as logic when it is not? What ever happened to saving up for what you "really wanted?" Did you have a tumor only curable by a mediocre stereo purchase? That $400 could have been a nice start to something special, but instead you have only reinforced companies like bose and sony to keep making junk to meet some ridiculous price point. Enjoy your headphones I guess.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
...and the dead shall rise.

Why? Why do I continually hear this same statement presented as logic when it is not? What ever happened to saving up for what you "really wanted?" Did you have a tumor only curable by a mediocre stereo purchase? That $400 could have been a nice start to something special, but instead you have only reinforced companies like bose and sony to keep making junk to meet some ridiculous price point. Enjoy your headphones I guess.
Did it feel good lashing out at a post that was made almost five years ago?

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Did it feel good lashing out at a post that was made almost five years ago?
I was thinking the same thing, also if the op really wanted to pay attention to details such as the ones in a five year old post he would see that "myriad 1973" as long since upgraded not one but two of his/her setups to what amounts to some what impressive HT gear, but hey I guess long winds must find room the exhale at times :cool:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
B BB BBBBBL BBBBLOSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEE . There I said it. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I won't touch Realistic speakers. But I can say that my father had a Realistic eq from 1981 that worked faithfully up til just earlier this year. Their eq's were always quite nice.
I'll take Realistic Minimus 7s over entry level Polk or Bose any day of the week. They were a solid speaker that sound much bigger than they deserved to sound. Also, the orginal Mach1 speakers also had a cult following and there have been a few threads posted in various sites about these speakers and their performance.

T

Theresa

Junior Audioholic
...leaves it alone, maybe it will go away...

TO: rak_32

A good speaker brand is one that you like and can afford...

jimHJJ(...it's as simple as that...)
There's also your willingness/ability to construct one yourself which will allow you to have a much better speaker than otherwise. Doing a kit has the same savings and is simple even for a non-handy woman like myself. If DIY is permitted as a class then my favorite brand is Madisound. I think my favorite readi-made is Magnepan. I definitely would not have Bose on any list unless it is of successful financial scams. Someday I will have to train my ears by going into high end audio shoppes and listening to other peoples expensive speakers. I am guessing that they won't measure up to mine until they cost more than $10,000.

N

noisehead

Audiophyte
the answer to the origional question, "can anyone give me a list of some of the best speaker brands", should have been.....no. The question cannot be answered, because the list would just be individual opinions as to what constitutes "best". My 2 cents worth says if you want some good sound, start with the room you will be using. Small bookshelf type speakers will sound good in small bedrooms, i find high placement sounds good. For larger living rooms, you can go with larger speakers, but need to keep in mind how "live" the room is, for example if you have mostly hard surfaces, you will get echo sound bouncing all around, causing distortions and sound arriving at your ears at delayed times. If you have heavy carpets and curtains and furniture on the other hand, you may have a more "dead" room, that will absorb the reflections of sound. There can also be problems with peaks in bass response with any room, say around 80 hz, where it may get boomy. Look into room treatments if this is the case. Once you have decided on the room, i would encourage visiting audio shops and listening to different setups, different brands, ect. Try actual audio stores, you might be impressed as i have been, or surprised at what 20 thousand dollars will buy. No, i will never own something as expensive as that, but once you hear the magic, you will never forget it. I remember when i first heard ribbon speakers, nothing else like them, or as Theresa has said, Magnepan planar speakers are another brand that is like nothing else. Ribbon and magneplanar speakers are dipoles, they radiate sound to the front, and also to the rear. Currently i personally would like to audition Linkwitz Labs Orion speaker, it is a dipole. But my house does not have the room that would be needed to make these sound good. So for now, i have to be happy with box speakers.

N

noisehead

Audiophyte
I enjoy good sound, but would rather buy on the used market, and save myself some money. For the last couple years, i have toyed with old Beovox speakers, I have several different models. For example, I have the s45 3-way speakers in my bedroom, mounted on shelves near the ceiling. These are an example of something that can be purchased used, that was a good design, and can be made to sound even better with sound deadening placed internally on the walls, new poly caps on the crossover, and play with internal stuffing. These sounded good as is, now i wouldnt trade them for anything of the same size for my bedroom. Also i recently was offered a pair of B&O Penta speakers for 100 dollars, they needed the foam replaced on the midrange drivers. I think these will sound good after i go through them. I also think this ported, closed box design will sound good in my living room. However, there have been changes in cone material, such as carbon fiber, nomex, poly, even wool for cones such as Silver Flute(look at Madisounds driver selection).

N

noisehead

Audiophyte
i ment ported, box design, not ported, closed- box design, sorry.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would put Linkwtiz, Revel, and Definitive Technology as my 3 "Best Speaker Brands".

xsoundsx

Audiophyte
need help finding a good souns system for home

was wondering if harman kardon was a good brand for a sound system for a home or would you know any other brands that are better?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
was wondering if harman kardon was a good brand for a sound system for a home or would you know any other brands that are better?
Are you talking about those little "home theater in a box" ?

Anyway, in general, Harman Internationl owns Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Revel, Lexicon, & Mark Levinson.

So IMO, HK is pretty good.

I think for budget speakers, the best bang for the buck are the $85 Infinity P163 bookshelf speakers and the $200 Infinity P363 towers. Both have flat on-axis frequency response and smooth off-axis frequency response, which means they are accurate sounding speakers that will sound great in most rooms to many people.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In terms of "Best Speaker Brands", I want to update my list::D

Revel, Infinity, JBL, KEF, NHT, Philharmonic, Salk, Linkwitz, Seaton, JTR, Geddes, RBH, EMP, Aperion, PSB.

Basically all the speakers with flat on-axis and smooth off-axis frequency responses.:D

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

I can't believe a troll thread has continued to live this long.

It's a Zombie Troll :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis