Best Speaker Brands

R

rak_32

Banned
Can anyone give me a list of some of the best speaker brands? I know that Kilipsch, B&W, POLK, and Bose are preaty good brands.... but I dont know many other ones.
thnx

500dollarbookshelfs.JPG


Admin Response:
It really depends on the situation. I don’t like to be boxed into a corner of declaring an absolute best, even when the type of speaker and the application are known. You must first define the application (ie where you're placing the speakers, and what your using them for), next define your budget, then room decor considerations must be accounted for, especially if you're married and/or have children.

Price is NOT always a contributing factor, but it usually correlates with sheer output capabilities, low end bass extension and nicer build quality when comparing speakers from competent speaker brands.

The best advice is to check out our Loudspeaker Reviews here:
http://www.audioholics.com/product-reviews

Then ask around the forum for opinions on any particular brand/models you're interested in.

Finally, if possible, go and audition. Or, if you're buying online, make sure the company has a liberal return policy. Some ID brands like Aperion Audio, and SVS offer 60 day risk free evaluations while others expect you to pay return shipping and possible restock fees.

Check this article to make the right selection for your purchasing needs:
http://www.audioholics.com/editorials/internet-direct-vs-brick-and-mortar
 
Last edited by a moderator:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
There's such a huge list...

And Bose is not on that list.

I'll give a starter off the top of my head:

Axiom
Onyx
Rocket
RBH
Dynaudio
Vandersteen
Magnepan
Martin Logan
Definitive Technology
B&W
Meridian
Monitor Audio
PSB
Paradigm
Energy
Avant Garde
MBL
Wilson
California Audio Technology
German Physiks
Phase Technology
AVI
Vienna Acoustics
Linn
Krell
Rockport
Focal/JM Lab
Wisdom Audio


Keep in mind that many of these brands are out of the price range of "normal" people. Many of them sell speakers that cost as much as a nice house.
 
Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
If everyone...

MACCA350 said:
Bose:eek:
Oh no, here we go again:p

cheers:D
...leaves it alone, maybe it will go away...

TO: rak_32

A good speaker brand is one that you like and can afford...

jimHJJ(...it's as simple as that...)
 
N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
To get a jump start, I would go the the speaker review section here on Audioholics and start reading. Lots and lots of good speakers out there as you can see from Jaxvons post.

Nick
 
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"Best" is in the ear of the beholder. You may not like what I like and vice versa. I don't like Bose for example, though I am not alone in that :)
 
R

rak_32

Banned
i use KLH floorstanding front left/right speakers. then i use a klipsch center speaker, and for rear, i use the bose acustimass. are these speakers good?
 
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
rak_32 said:
i use KLH floorstanding front left/right speakers. then i use a klipsch center speaker, and for rear, i use the bose acustimass. are these speakers good?
If they sound good to your ears, then that's all that matters. Personally, I'd say KLH and Bose use the most inexpensive components to build speakers (drivers, crossovers, mdf). To KLH's defense, they charge accordingly. Bose simply rips people off for the product put out. They charge for marketing, then quadruple the profit margin (sort of like Monster does with cable).
 
M

myriad1973

Audioholic
They're right. I can't afford any of the above mentioned brands, but the Sony (yes, Sony) speaker/subwoofer combo I bought for $400 sounds pretty good for what I paid. It's not what I really *wanted* to get, but when you're on a tight budget, you get the best you possibly can. I'm happy with them. :)
 
R

rak_32

Banned
do u know if speakers will start degeneratig after age? will the sound quality go down?
 
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
That can happen, either from abuse, or sometimes parts just wear out. Often, speaker cone surrounds will deteriorate over time. Other things can too, but if you keep your speaker in a healthy, low humidity environment without overdriving it, it should offer you years and years of service.
 
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Now what do you guys think about Realistic?
Hahahah... I actually have A pair of Realistic Minimus-7's as surrounds in my system. They work great for that. They aren't bad little speakers for the price ($50/pair) and they produce a surprising amount of bass.
 
M

myriad1973

Audioholic
I won't touch Realistic speakers. But I can say that my father had a Realistic eq from 1981 that worked faithfully up til just earlier this year. Their eq's were always quite nice.
 
JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
rak_32 said:
Can anyone give me a list of some of the best speaker brands? I know that Kilipsch, B&W, POLK, and Bose are preaty good brands.... but I dont know many other ones.
thnx
First of all "Blose" is not a good brand. I'm sure many other posters will agree with that. I use a pair of Realistic Minimus 7's with a subwoofer in my bedroom system.:D
 
R

rak_32

Banned
JoeE SP9 said:
First of all "Blose" is not a good brand. I'm sure many other posters will agree with that. I use a pair of Realistic Minimus 7's with a subwoofer in my bedroom system.:D
BOSE is not good? How about AR or Magnavox? I saw a whole 6.1 surround sound setup MAGNAVOX for only 80.00. It included a dvd player and a receiver.
 
MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
rak_32 said:
BOSE is not good? How about AR or Magnavox? I saw a whole 6.1 surround sound setup MAGNAVOX for only 80.00. It included a dvd player and a receiver.
Is this a serious question? Or are you just taking the pi$$ out of us:p

cheers:)
 
R

rak_32

Banned
MACCA350 said:
Is this a serious question? Or are you just taking the pi$$ out of us:p

cheers:)
umm yes is it a serious question. also, do you think KLH is considerably good? because i own 2 front left/right KLH speakers. they sound preaty nice but i think i need to upgrade my 10 yr old SONY receiver to get the full effect out of all my speakers.

center - SC.5 Klipsch
front lft/rht - KLH Floor Standing
Rear Suround - Bose acustimass + module
Sub- NONE :'(

so how's my setup?
 
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
rak_32 said:
umm yes is it a serious question. also, do you think KLH is considerably good? because i own 2 front left/right KLH speakers. they sound preaty nice but i think i need to upgrade my 10 yr old SONY receiver to get the full effect out of all my speakers.

center - SC.5 Klipsch
front lft/rht - KLH Floor Standing
Rear Suround - Bose acustimass + module
Sub- NONE :'(

so how's my setup?
Rak,

Which ones are they? KLH is very entry level, with very inexpensive drivers. You're setup is fine for a budget entry system - there's just no timber matching. We've told you this numerous times. No receiver will timber match your speakers.
http://www.amazon.com/b/002-5518118-5762461?ie=UTF8&node=3005291
 

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis
Top