Best affordable surge protector

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
The reason they never pay a claim is because of all the fine print that's in the warranty. You have to literally have one of their units on almost every outlet that has a cable or telephone connection in your home for the warranty to pay off. Also, over multiple surges they become less effective.

That's why SurgeX is so much better. It has non-sacrificial components. I saw a demo a couple of years ago at a trade show. The SurgeX unit vs. Panamax. They kept zapping the SurgeX unit and the Panamax suppressor just died. They had a demo every hour because they were going through so many Panamax products.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Why pay more than a couple bucks at Dollar Tree? :rolleyes: Oh yeah baby. 6 penny parts, why pay more?
In all seriousness, this is what I use;
https://www.amazon.ca/Woods-7-Outlet-1250-Joule-Protector-10-Foot/dp/B005CHMTLO/ref=asc_df_B005CHMTLO/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=293011081342&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2467041510008843571&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000908&hvtargid=pla-494344582798&psc=1

..our power is extremely consistent here in most parts of Canada, thanks to our super sticky CSA codebook, which US usually incorporates into their NEC after we've led the way. :p The best protection is unplugging when not in use. The only times I really need to worry about it is during storms. During the winter there is hardly ever an issue, even most days in the summer is fine, if I hear of a storm in the forecast, and I am not planning on using it anyway, take her legs right out of the wall. Problem solved.

power-bar.jpg

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
The best protection is unplugging when not in use. The only times I really need to worry about it is during storms. During the winter there is hardly ever an issue, even most days in the summer is fine, if I hear of a storm in the forecast, and I am not planning on using it anyway, take her legs right out of the wall. Problem solved.
That's actually a great point and the cheapest, but most effective protection! Haha. While I do have a certain degree of trust in my surge protectors to protect from standard surges in incoming power, I do NOT trust them to protect in the event of a direct or nearby lightning strike. When we get severe thunderstorms, I like to run around and unplug all critical components. I shut it all down and unplug the power strip from the wall entirely. Cheap piece of mind. If I go out of town for an extended period of time, I do the same thing just in case a storm happens when I'm not around. Perhaps the surge protectors would do their job just fine, but I suppose another bonus is that it should also extend the life of them too.

I go a step further and make sure my air conditioner's off too, since that giant motor running can attract lightning. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I just sleep easier through a lightning storm knowing my expensive gear (and hopefully my house itself) is safer.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Want affordable? Daisy chain 3 cheap ones together. I did this one time to make a make shift extension cord for a bedroom TV. Lighting hit our electrical pole and killed electricity in the house. The first 2 surge supressors died but the 3rd one lived and they saved the tv lol.
Nice I will have to try that maybe with 2 at first. Luckily I have never lost a component to a lightning strike.
Dave

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
It's like marriage. The first 2 usually fail, but by the 3rd one that attitude is more like I guess I'm gonna make this work.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah I saw that in his post. You guys are killing me here. But 2 has to be better than 1 right? As far as marriages I stopped at 2. Maybe I should have tried it 1 more time.:)
Dave

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Probably be sick of losing half your stuff after a couple marriages... LOL. :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Bump. Howdy folks been awhile. Are these good surge protectors for a small home theater setup 7.1 Receiver, 8 inch sub, TV, fire stick and Sony bluray player? Which budget one would you choose?
Tripp Lite 12 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 2 USB Charging Ports, Tel/Modem/Coax Protection, 8ft Cord Right Angle Plug, Black, Lifetime Insurance & $150K Insurance (TLP128TTUSBB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFR56T2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_D0g0CbFMYFP97
Or
Belkin 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector w/ 8ft Cord – Ideal for Computers, Home Theatre, Appliances, Office Equipment and more (3,940 Joules) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J2EN4S/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_F4g0CbZVZ5WAF
and
AmazonBasics 12-Outlet Surge Protector | 4,320 Joule, 10-Foot Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GPRSP5R/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_X5g0CbH79G1DV
Thanks guys.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Bump. Howdy folks been awhile. Are these good surge protectors for a small home theater setup 7.1 Receiver, 8 inch sub, TV, fire stick and Sony bluray player? Which budget one would you choose?
Tripp Lite 12 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 2 USB Charging Ports, Tel/Modem/Coax Protection, 8ft Cord Right Angle Plug, Black, Lifetime Insurance & $150K Insurance (TLP128TTUSBB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFR56T2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_D0g0CbFMYFP97
Or
Belkin 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector w/ 8ft Cord – Ideal for Computers, Home Theatre, Appliances, Office Equipment and more (3,940 Joules) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J2EN4S/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_F4g0CbZVZ5WAF
and
AmazonBasics 12-Outlet Surge Protector | 4,320 Joule, 10-Foot Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GPRSP5R/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_X5g0CbH79G1DV
Thanks guys.
I second a UPS...I have a projector and it gives me time to properly shut it down. Have another on the network equipment, another on my desktop computer, and one for the living room setup. We get very frequent brown outs...

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Or
and
Thanks guys.
Honestly, any one of those should serve you just fine. They're all from reputable brands and have good joule ratings.

What I'd say it should boil down to at this point then is cord length, the configuration of the part that goes into the wall outlet, and the configuration of the plugs on the power strip. Just go with the one that works best for YOUR situation. Like how many bulky adapters you might have and what not.

I've used lots of cheap Tripp Lites and Belkins and up to fancy, expensive Panamax's. They'll all work great in all honesty so it's always ended up being a matter of functionality. At times the expensive Panamax was awesome for the extra network functionality it added, and how I was able to integrate it seemlessly with my RTI control system. Other times, my cheap Tripp Lite is exactly what fits the bill. That's what I have on one of my REALLY nice higher end amps.

No matter what you go with, you just need to pay attention to the little light that indicates the surge protection is still functional, because after it's been zapped so many times you can lose the protection but power is still passed through. If that light's out, it's time to replace it. Heck, I even go as far as tossing out ancient power strips and replacing once in a while when I just don't trust them. At $20-50 a pop, it's worth it since it's only like every 5-10 years or so. Haha.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
And I do believe "daisy chaining" surge protectors invalidates any warranty.

JTFVegas

JTFVegas

Audioholic
I've been looking to get a good surge protector as the one currently in use is a El cheapo home door type. I know one built into the fuse box is best but we rent and I know our landlord won't splurge on adding one on the fuse panel. I've been looking to see what the best ( but affordable) block is without degrading any audio or video signals. I know most will say something in the 4-500 range if not higher but due to budget and wife asking WTf lol is there something reliable in the 160 - 70 range. Reviews on surge protectors are few and far between

Thanks
APC look on Amazon. I just bought 1 for $147.00. Model number G5BLK. 9 outlets total, 3 continuos 6 switched. Surge protection. Shows real time line voltage in volts and frequency. Offers power up and down sequencing.
This unit works flawlessly. It came with a benchtest QC receipt taped right on the top of the unit itself. Good product for the money.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
APC look on Amazon. I just bought 1 for $147.00. Model number G5BLK. 9 outlets total, 3 continuos 6 switched. Surge protection. Shows real time line voltage in volts and frequency. Offers power up and down sequencing.
This unit works flawlessly. It came with a benchtest QC receipt taped right on the top of the unit itself. Good product for the money.
Would this unit provide enough power for my MX-A5200 + CX-A5200 combo? Maybe even add on a PS4, Nvidia shield Pro and 4k player

I ran 20 amp to the wall, this will bring that down to 15.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Would this unit provide enough power for my MX-A5200 + CX-A5200 combo? Maybe even add on a PS4, Nvidia shield Pro and 4k player

I ran 20 amp to the wall, this will bring that down to 15.
I bought the same one last week. Running the CX-A5200, MX-A5000, Sanway DSP-6KQ, Shield TV, Panasonic 4K player, 16 port GB switch, Infinity rack fan, XBOX One X and cable box. No issues at all.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In the APC line of surge protectors, both the G5BLK or the H15BLK should be able to handle the load with the equipment. If there is wide variation of input voltage, the H15 has the advantage of featuring a trimming and boosting relay, otherwise the G5 should do the job:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis