Benefits of external amps

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ll try at 80 for tonight. Btw when I took delivery of these and actually saw the size of them my first words were “ I’ve been punked by Pogre“
Ha ha! Hey, those weren't my intentions tho. You get 'em worked in there and spend some time with them I think you're gonna really love them. They're front ported so that makes placement a bit easier.

Honestly I just now looked up the dimensions and realized they're a little bigger than my Ultra bookshelves. Smaller speakers come at a price tho!

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
That doesn't look too bad at all!
If you look closer at the speaker in that pic. It’s like a smiling monsters inc creature. I can already tell I prefer these over the cores. The svs app recommended a 4000 series sub for these. Gotta be kidding me. I haven’t even opened up this 2000 sub yet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you look closer at the speaker in that pic. It’s like a smiling monsters inc creature. I can already tell I prefer these over the cores. The svs app recommended a 4000 series sub for these. Gotta be kidding me. I haven’t even opened up this 2000 sub yet.
Yeah, I believe you. I think the Merlin app has a way of upselling stuff sometimes. From the sounds of the 2000 is plenty for you.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, I believe you. I think the Merlin app has a way of upselling stuff sometimes. From the sounds of the 2000 is plenty for you.
I think I’ve found what was missing in the front stage. This midrange! Now I’ve got the killer baseline AND midrange that can keep up. Thank you for the suggestions on this set!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think I’ve found what was missing in the front stage. This midrange! Now I’ve got the killer baseline AND midrange that can keep up. Thank you for the suggestions on this set!
Glad you got in on this deal. It really is a no-brainer, but I understand how difficult it is to accept that ~$250 will get you parity with the better $800 and up speakers! The nice thing about the DCM deal is they had enough to sell over a long enough period that there was time to assess them and get the word out. Usually, you have to take a bigger leap of faith or they are sold out before you can investigate.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. Mike wazowski

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Glad you got in on this deal. It really is a no-brainer, but I understand how difficult it is to accept that ~$250 will get you parity with the better $800 and up speakers! The nice thing about the DCM deal is they had enough to sell over a long enough period that there was time to assess them and get the word out. Usually, you have to take a bigger leap of faith or they are sold out before you can investigate.
I’ve only had a couple hours using a tfe60 as my center but I think I’ve created another problem. I hope I’m wrong about this but the “sweet spot” is extremely small now. Just moving my head a foot or two in either direction seems to dramatically lower the voices. I currently don’t have the space to use this speaker upright so it’s on its side. Unless I make my own wave guides out of tinfoil I’m not sure of a solution.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
I’ve only had a couple hours using a tfe60 as my center but I think I’ve created another problem. I hope I’m wrong about this but the “sweet spot” is extremely small now. Just moving my head a foot or two in either direction seems to dramatically lower the voices. I currently don’t have the space to use this speaker upright so it’s on its side. Unless I make my own wave guides out of tinfoil I’m not sure of a solution.
Ok the sale has been made. I’ve got three monoblocks on the way. I’ve heard about monoprice or blue jeans being the cable of choice for many. Does anyone have a suggestion for the three simple rcas I’ll need to patch these in? Should I be concerned about length introducing noise into the path?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok the sale has been made. I’ve got three monoblocks on the way. I’ve heard about monoprice or blue jeans being the cable of choice for many. Does anyone have a suggestion for the three simple rcas I’ll need to patch these in? Should I be concerned about length introducing noise into the path?
Unless you're going to put the amps in a different room from the pre, not much to worry about. If it is a long run a good shielded cable should do it. Likely it's a very short run but shielded is still a good way to go. Congrats on the new toys...

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Unless you're going to put the amps in a different room from the pre, not much to worry about. If it is a long run a good shielded cable should do it. Likely it's a very short run but shielded is still a good way to go. Congrats on the new toys...
In further reading of these forums it seems I’m following in the footsteps of other members. A baby”Pogre” so to speak. once Everything is situated I’ll try to post pics.

Attachments

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In further reading of these forums it seems I’m following in the footsteps of other members. A baby”Pogre” so to speak. once Everything is situated I’ll try to post pics.
Well, Pogre did get the Monolith 7 for his power amp choice, you're more in the footsteps of Ryanosaur who got 5 of the M2200s, and seems in the near future same as Panteragstk....off the top of my head :)

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Well, Pogre did get the Monolith 7 for his power amp choice, you're more in the footsteps of Ryanosaur who got 5 of the M2200s, and seems in the near future same as Panteragstk....off the top of my head :)
please tell me if I understand this correctly. If an amplifier has a gain of 27db Does that mean it increases sound 27db over its input or does it relate to voltage somehow?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis