Benefits of external amps

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
I currently run a Denon avrx3600h with a 7.1.4 system of Sony core series speakers. Will I see a large difference if I add the outlaw model 5000 external amp over just running everything on the Denons amps? Thank you and I look forward to learning more on this forum.
chris

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
I currently run a Denon avrx3600h with a 7.1.4 system of Sony core series speakers. Will I see a large difference if I add the outlaw model 5000 external amp over just running everything on the Denons amps? Thank you and I look forward to learning more on this forum.
chris
Sorry i am running a 5.1.4 system

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
chris
Do you feel that you're not getting enough volume before distortion?

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Do you feel that you're not getting enough volume before distortion?
the system is currently in a smallish to medium bedroom. Sorry I don’t have the dimensions. I enjoy the feature set of the avr but it feels like something is missing when watching atmos or dts movies. I’m not sure if it’s the Sony core towers and center or if more power would help it sound richer and fuller.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
From a quick sony core speakers googling it looks like you speakers are by far the weak link. The denon is a very capable AVR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
the system is currently in a smallish to medium bedroom. Sorry I don’t have the dimensions. I enjoy the feature set of the avr but it feels like something is missing when watching atmos or dts movies. I’m not sure if it’s the Sony core towers and center or if more power would help it sound richer and fuller.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I recall testing the Core bookshelf speakers against others, probably up to $500/pr or so and was very impressed, for the price, especially when Core's are on sale.

That said, they are an excellent value vs. entry to even some mid level speakers. But they are designed to be an easy load for any AVR to power, so an external amp is not going to be your solution.

Better sound, in this instance, will be provided by better speakers. My advice to you is go out and listen to as much as you can before spending a dime!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Given the size of the room, I don't think you will benefit from adding the 5 ch amp unless you really crank it. If you feel the sound is not robust enough, I'm pretty sure it can be improved with better speakers/subs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
When using speakers with built in atmos modules you probably are missing the whole experience. No amp will change that limitation. Without in ceiling atmos, consider the setup as a 5 channel setup, with some extra effects.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Thank you all. I’ve been waiting for the towers to begin to sound broken in and after 6montha or so they never did. Perhaps I’d be better served going with something more efficient like klipsch?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Thank you all. I’ve been waiting for the towers to begin to sound broken in and after 6montha or so they never did. Perhaps I’d be better served going with something more efficient like klipsch?
You probably dont need very sensitive speakers, just better.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
I appreciate all the advice. all the speakers are set to small with 80hz crossovers. 120 lfe on the Sony sub. I’ve tried several settings and they can only play what they can I suppose

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I appreciate all the advice. all the speakers are set to small with 80hz crossovers. 120 lfe on the Sony sub. I’ve tried several settings and they can only play what they can I suppose
Very inexpensive speakers arent really transparent. If you have the opportunity go to a few stores and listen to several speakers in different price ranges, including higher than what you aim for as a comparison, and see if you find something you like. Listening in stores is far from optimal but it can give you an idea or a starting point to find what you are looking for.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
and just in case, its better sound quality you are after right? -not more/better bass, because thats a very different solution.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
and just in case, its better sound quality you are after right? -not more/better bass, because thats a very different solution.

That’s correct. At some point I’ll be replacing the Sony sub with a more musical one but that can wait

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So you were looking to spend ~$650 for an amp, yes? That can get you some better speakers if you start with the front 2, or 3. For that matter the DCM TFE series would be a significant jump in quality from the speakers you have now and the price is ridiculous for what you get. I've been hearing them compared to $1000/pr speakers. I'm positive hearing these would be an eye opener for you. They'll get you much, much further than adding an amp would for your sound quality.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think I can overstate how good those speakers are for the price. Seriously. They've been recently discounted and a few members here (including myself) have been snapping them up!

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
So you were looking to spend ~$650 for an amp, yes? That can get you some better speakers if you start with the front 2, or 3. For that matter the DCM TFE series would be a significant jump in quality from the speakers you have now and the price is ridiculous for what you get. I've been hearing them compared to $1000/pr speakers. I'm positive hearing these would be an eye opener for you. They'll get you much, much further than adding an amp would for your sound quality.

Pogre,
Yes that was my plan to spend the cost of the outlaw but after the advice given here and ion reading more posts I see the issue. I was unaware mtx even made home speakers. I have been thinking most of the day about svs prime bookshelves for lr with their prime center. Ohhh the debacle choice can be sometimes. Thank you all once again.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pogre,
Yes that was my plan to spend the cost of the outlaw but after the advice given here and ion reading more posts I see the issue. I was unaware mtx even made home speakers. I have been thinking most of the day about svs prime bookshelves for lr with their prime center. Ohhh the debacle choice can be sometimes. Thank you all once again.
I love SVS, but I think those DCM TFE series speakers will out perform the Prime series for less!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis