Benefits of external amps

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How about a smart ass answer of what dB is the input? :) Try this http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-amplification.htm
Nothing omitted in that one!

I never fully understood it either so I looked around and found this too.

If you're like me and find the technical jargon a little intimidating that one was a little easier for me to understand.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
What is your particular concern, that may shortcut the whole query....
I’m just trying to make sense of how all these things work and what the numbers actually mean. I had no specific issue or problems. Btw I think im Quickly getting broken in to my system!

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Nothing omitted in that one!

I never fully understood it either so I looked around and found this too.

If you're like me and find the technical jargon a little intimidating that one was a little easier for me to understand.
Is that from the ebook section? I tried to read something Gene had posted there and no password I have worked.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is that from the ebook section? I tried to read something Gene had posted there and no password I have worked.
Hmm... no, I don't think so. Pretty standard looking address. Lemme see if I can...

[https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-voltage-gain]

Maybe try copying the text and paste it into your browser? Make sure to remove the brackets of course.

*Edit: Speaking of browsers I think sometimes Tapatalk can be a little goofy. Maybe try a different browser.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you I’m able to get to that link. I was curious about the ebook section as I saw something about voltage gain over there. Maybe I need to be a patreon
I'm not an e-booker (at Audioholics) so not sure how that works. I think it might be a sub, tho I s'pose it could be a patreon perk too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, Pogre did get the Monolith 7 for his power amp choice, you're more in the footsteps of Ryanosaur who got 5 of the M2200s, and seems in the near future same as Panteragstk....off the top of my head :)
Some day. Gotta wait for my hopefully coronavirus free amp to get here today. Had to go through multiple hotspots. Gonna have to Lysol that thing good.

Seems like @Pogre has claimed another amp victim. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Some day. Gotta wait for my hopefully coronavirus free amp to get here today. Had to go through multiple hotspots. Gonna have to Lysol that thing good.

Seems like @Pogre has claimed another amp victim. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Yeah my shipment originated in Portland I believe. So far so good!

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I had the following three speakers set up for awhile in a tower comparison:
Infinity R253 (small tower from the same series as the R162)
DCM TFE100
JBL Studio 580

I had earlier compared the R162 against the DCM TP60S and I felt the TP60S was 1/4 of a notch below the Infinity. By that I mean they were very, very close, but the Infinity had a slight advantage over the DCM. You can read my comments here:

The TFE (Time Frame Evolution) series is a step up above the TP (TimePiece) series and this showed in the comparison of the towers. I have to give the nod to the TFE over the Infinity and a very slight nod to the 580 over the TFE.
The TFE and 580 have a lot of the same character. They both have good energy, playing music with a sort of enthusiasm (if I can personify speakers). The Infinity seemed perhaps a little staid in comparison. I am not sure that I can say the JBL and TFE are more accurate than the Infinity, but they are more engaging to me and if you are looking for something to play energetic music on I would give the TFE the nod over the Infinity Reference series. If you are looking for something a little more reserved, I would go with the Infinity. I don't know, but I might suppose that JBL and DCM use a little bit of a "house curve" while Infinity is totally flat?!
Obviously this is a very subjective account, but I think the TFE would be preferred by most. @TheWarrior came over and listened to them blind and Rated them as JBL best, TFE a close second, and Infinity a more distant third. I didn't feel that the Infinity lagged so far behind the others as he did (these are, after all opinions), but ranked them in the same order.
I've got to say that if you are looking at the TFE bookshelf speakers, you should consider the TFE100 towers as the last time I checked they were only another $30 to $40 over the bookshelf version. I am usually a big fan of bookshelf speakers, but part of that equation is that you pay a lot more for the towers, but at $40 difference, it is hard not to get the towers. If and when you were to resell them, I think you would get that $40 back quite easily!
I've never even heard of these speakers, let alone seen them before. Apparently I was sleeping under a rock.

If anyone owns any of them and lives in the Chicago area, I'd be very curious to measure them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've never even heard of these speakers, let alone seen them before. Apparently I was sleeping under a rock.

If anyone owns any of them and lives in the Chicago area, I'd be very curious to measure them.
Unfortunately, it seems DCM is closing up shop and clearancing their inventory. Probably their speaker with the most name recognition would be the Time Windows (I believe they came out in the '90's). It seems they have consistently made a nice product for decades, but have somehow managed to fly beneath the radar for much of that time! If you Google them, they are obviously in the game, but you would generally have to find DCM rather than DCM finding you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis