Benefits of external amps

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Sorry they’re sideways but this is after Auddessey calibration. I’ve yet to critically listen but it not only turned my subs way down. Their individual volumes are at 1/4 with the phase at zero and the crossover knobs all the way up at 200 hz but also turned the other levels back down. I understand this is because of the small space and will see what it truly sounds like. I’ve got dynamic eq on and dynamic volume off. The denons lfe is set at 100. If anything looks out of whack any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you
chris
Not sure what subs you have but sub 2 clocking in at -12 means its probably set too high gain on the sub knob. +-12 is max and will show as that even if it should be -15 for example. Turn the gain volume down a little on sub 2 and re-run.
Crossovers seem too low for the speakers you have, if you have decent subs you should probably try a crossover at 80hz on the ones lower set than that. A good starting point is double the -3dB point in the speakers specifications for the smoothest transition, but every system and room is different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I’m also wondering if I should set the speakers crossovers to 80 or trust auddessey
I used too much time with above reply lol

(And just to add information its not audyssey that sets crossovers its denon/marantz, its not very clear since its all part of the auto setup.)

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
They are identical Sony core series 10 inch subs I did run the level matching on the denon prior to auddessey to get them both at 75 dB. They are both approximately 6 inches from the wall in the back but with rear firing ports

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
They usually set too low crossovers for a few different reasons but one good one is that audyssey dont make correction filters below the auto crossover setting so it being set too low for most gives the option for users to work out whats best for their own room because its no problem at all to raise the crossover but lowering it from the auto setup one can create a gap in the correction filters.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
They usually set too low crossovers for a few different reasons but one good one is that audyssey dont make correction filters below the auto crossover setting so it being set too low for most gives the option for users to work out whats best for their own room because its no problem at all to raise the crossover but lowering it from the auto setup one can create a gap in the correction filters.
So raising them to 80 shouldn’t mess with the dynamic eq?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
They are identical Sony core series 10 inch subs I did run the level matching on the denon prior to auddessey to get them both at 75 dB. They are both approximately 6 inches from the wall in the back but with rear firing ports
Together they play louder so will need to be lower than the single level matching, or you are just inside and -12 is the right level, but you cant know so it would be nice if they put +-12 and +-over limit. Easiest way is to lower gain knob on sub2 a little and rerun so you know for sure.
Unless you run dynamic EQ, some even with, its very common to increase the sub volume in the AVR 3 to 6dB to get a little more bass at lower to medium volume levels.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
So raising them to 80 shouldn’t mess with the dynamic eq?
Thank you for all the help. I feel like I’m learning much about a subject I thought I knew. I just received roger waters “the wall” so I’ll adjust and enjoy. Your assistance has been invaluable
chris

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
They usually set too low crossovers for a few different reasons but one good one is that audyssey dont make correction filters below the auto crossover [my bold] setting so it being set too low for most gives the option for users to work out whats best for their own room because its no problem at all to raise the crossover but lowering it from the auto setup one can create a gap in the correction filters.
Audyssey reports the roll of but it's the receiver that sets the initial crossover after a calibration run or even if bass management should be on (say, measurements say speaker are "full range").

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Together they play louder so will need to be lower than the single level matching, or you are just inside and -12 is the right level, but you cant know so it would be nice if they put +-12 and +-over limit. Easiest way is to lower gain knob on sub2 a little and rerun so you know for sure.
Unless you run dynamic EQ, some even with, its very common to increase the sub volume in the AVR 3 to 6dB to get a little more bass at lower to medium volume levels.
Ugh. Out of learning all the cool knowledge running auddessey seems the most painful

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Ugh. Out of learning all the cool knowledge running auddessey seems the most painful
Haha, ye but at least its not the old 85dB volume the sweeps are nowdays, 75 is much kinder to the ears. But its a lot to learn for sure and you will benefit for a long time, doing it right gives a lot better sounding system. (Audyssey on or off)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
There is much to learn :D Just note that when you read something about Audyssey it might not be relevant to the version you have in your receiver (MultEQ® XT32, with Sub EQ HD for calibration of dual subwoofers), which is the best one Audyssey offers.

I've found that Audyssey can be a bit finicky with how you position your measurements positions so I recommend that you try it out various positions.

There is an Android/iOS app that makes it easy to save and load calibration runs, and your receiver works with that app, but sadly, not my older AVR-X4200W: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.AudysseyMultEq&hl=en

On my receiver I have to save/load using a WWW browser, which is cumbersome and takes some time.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry they’re sideways but this is after Auddessey calibration. I’ve yet to critically listen but it not only turned my subs way down. Their individual volumes are at 1/4 with the phase at zero and the crossover knobs all the way up at 200 hz but also turned the other levels back down. I understand this is because of the small space and will see what it truly sounds like. I’ve got dynamic eq on and dynamic volume off. The denons lfe is set at 100. If anything looks out of whack any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you
chris
You probably should turn the subwoofer's volume knob down further, if it is 1/4 now, try 1/8 and then re-run Audyssey. If it is too low, during the Audyssey auto setup run it will tell you. It is best to have the volume knob at the point when Audyssey's signal strength meter just turn green, stay green and never touch red.

It is fine the way it is too, but with the subwoofer level at the lowest limit of -12 is just not preferred. I just don't like anything being set to the limit, ymmv..

As indicated by the level trims, adding an external power amp would seem like throwing money away. Do put a couple of fans on top the receiver though if you haven't done so yet, for longevity reason.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m also wondering if I should set the speakers crossovers to 80 or trust auddessey
First, it isn't Audyssey with the crossover recommendation, that's the avr manufacturer's part. Audyssey's regular recommendation is to start at 80hz. https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212345023-Crossover-frequency

Normal setting for LPF of LFE is 120hz (the normal limit of what is recorded in the .1/LFE channel).

When the avr sets your sub to -12 that's an indication that your gain on the sub amp is too high, the avr is trying to turn it down. Lower the gain on your sub a bit, and re-run Audyssey. A setting in the negative range isn't a bad thing (gives you a bit more headroom for needed boost for example), you just don't want it set at the limits of the range of the avr at -12. Did your avr have you set the subs to 75dB to start?

ps Seems I'm late to the party, my refresh of the screen didn't show me all the other answers since your post.....

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
It’s far too loud in the house today to rerun the program. Sadly it will have to wait. I know you all are gonna think I’m all over the place and maybe I am. I powered off sub one. Turned the level on sub two to halfway. Adjusted to AVR sub level to -4. The thing sounds great. Perhaps the room is much too small for dual subs. I really screwed up the calibration or sub 2 is in a sweet spot. It should get me through the game this evening and I can rerun auddessey when it gets less populated around here. ohh and I am running dual ac infinity usb fans I had left over from my marantz. It’s just been gathering dust since it doesn’t pass 4K. I think it may have been Peng that posted a photo of his fans. Mine are very similar to those. Thank you !!
chris

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
I’ve been researching a little and have roughly 1k for a single subwoofer. I’m leaning heavily towards the hsu 15 mk2 I think it is. The one Shadyj I believe runs. in this price range do you all believe I’m in the right track? I prefer tight accurate “musical” bass and his review also said this sub can help with my mid bass. I’m also in a pier and beam with wooden floors so I’ve been leaning towards a sealed unit. Any comments ideas or concerns are very much welcomed and appreciated!
thank you
chris

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I prefer tight accurate “musical” bass and his review also said this sub can help with my mid bass. I’m also in a pier and beam with wooden floors so I’ve been leaning towards a sealed unit. Any comments ideas or concerns are very much welcomed and appreciated!
thank you
chris
I have my E15HP on hard wood floor. Not sure about what musical bass really means but I do like how my E15HP sound, the bass does seem tight though. The best part, is that it is a lot smaller than my SVS ported subs.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
I have my E15HP on hard wood floor. Not sure about what musical bass really means but I do like how my E15HP sound, the bass does seem tight though. The best part, is that it is a lot smaller than my SVS ported subs.

That looks really good but out of my price range. I suppose what I meant by musical was that a subwoofer has good enough dynamic range that even I can dial it in. Thank you!

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
That looks really good but out of my price range. I suppose what I meant by musical was that a subwoofer has good enough dynamic range that even I can dial it in. Thank you!
Well, I pulled the trigger on a svs sb2000 pro
THEN I ran their recommended subwoofer app for my Sony’s. They suggested the1000 series. I did read somewhere there is no such thing as too much bass! Here we go head first into the so called rabbit hole. I’d like to thank everyone for the responses and comments once again. I value these informative forums !
chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis