Benefits of external amps

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
I love SVS, but I think those DCM TFE series speakers will out perform the Prime series for less!
Well after reading more of the excellent information in this forum I’ve made a decision. My suspicions have been confirmed that my issue is with the core towers. I’ve got some core bookshelves doing their diligence in another room I’m going to grab a pair of speakers stands and swap my front LR rowers with the bookshelves. If I STILL don’t hear my happpy sound I’m going to order a pair of tfe bookshelves. I want you all to know how valuable the information, knowledge and willingness to help has been for me. Thank you!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Well after reading more of the excellent information in this forum I’ve made a decision. My suspicions have been confirmed that my issue is with the core towers. I’ve got some core bookshelves doing their diligence in another room I’m going to grab a pair of speakers stands and swap my front LR rowers with the bookshelves. If I STILL don’t hear my happpy sound I’m going to order a pair of tfe bookshelves. I want you all to know how valuable the information, knowledge and willingness to help has been for me. Thank you!
Just in case, you have run the auto setup a couple of times and gotten a good measurement run?
Tried flat, reference and off Audyssey modes?
Audyssey dynamic EQ on and off?
Increased the sub trim volume 3 to 6dB?

Just asking in case its not the speakers(even though not that good) but the setup/settings thats not right for you. If the bookshelves and towers are the same line its unlikly to be much difference in the sound itself apart from towers going a little deeper and sounding possibly a little fuller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Just in case, you have run the auto setup a couple of times and gotten a good measurement run?
Tried flat, reference and off Audyssey modes?
Audyssey dynamic EQ on and off?
Increased the sub trim volume 3 to 6dB?

Just asking in case its not the speakers(even though not that good) but the setup/settings thats not right for you. If the bookshelves and towers are the same line its unlikly to be much difference in the sound itself apart from towers going a little deeper and sounding possibly a little fuller.

I’ve tried all the settings you’ve mentioned. It’s currently running flat with all the dynamic settings off the dynamic volume just seems to pump up the volume of my surrounds and also I swear it turns the volume up and down I’m e middle of watching a show. I’ve ran audessey least 4 times. The very first time I ran it seemed to be the best. Wish I could remember those settings. I know it sounds backwards but it seems “maybe just to me” that the core bookshelves sound better than Th e towers. I’m also looking at 36inch satellite stands to get the sound up in my face so to speak. The sub itself seems to fill in well enough for now being a sony core series sub. That will eventually be replaced once I get the front stage right for me.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
I’ve tried all the settings you’ve mentioned. It’s currently running flat with all the dynamic settings off the dynamic volume just seems to pump up the volume of my surrounds and also I swear it turns the volume up and down I’m e middle of watching a show. I’ve ran audessey least 4 times. The very first time I ran it seemed to be the best. Wish I could remember those settings. I know it sounds backwards but it seems “maybe just to me” that the core bookshelves sound better than Th e towers. I’m also looking at 36inch satellite stands to get the sound up in my face so to speak. The sub itself seems to fill in well enough for now being a sony core series sub. That will eventually be replaced once I get the front stage right for me.
Oh I forgot to mention that whatever speakers I do decide to actually purchase. They won’t be towers due to my unique listening area.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Dynamic volume tries to keep it even without any big changes between loud and soft, often called night mode.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
If you use the Audyssey app to do the auto setup you can keep all the measuring runs, which is handy.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
If you use the Audyssey app to do the auto setup you can keep all the measuring runs, which is handy.
You mentioned sub trim levels. I’m also waiting on a radio shack spl meter. Like the one Gene uses. I’ve been outbid a couple times on eBay. Its in the works.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Ok my bookshelf stands along with my spl meter came in. I followed Genes YouTube video to check my levels. I may or may not have done it correctly yesterday. I am sorry now that I didn’t take a screenshot before I changed them. Lesson learned. What I find curious is that audessey had my levels on average at -4. After I ran the c weighted slow response 70 db test I “corrected” them to an average of +4. Of course they are matched at 75db and sound much better. Ok my question is what volume should I be using to set the levels to 75db? Yesterday I had the denon set at default but have since changed the volume control to display in dB instead. Any help is much appreciated! Thank you
Chris

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Ok my bookshelf stands along with my spl meter came in. I followed Genes YouTube video to check my levels. I may or may not have done it correctly yesterday. I am sorry now that I didn’t take a screenshot before I changed them. Lesson learned. What I find curious is that audessey had my levels on average at -4. After I ran the c weighted slow response 70 db test I “corrected” them to an average of +4. Of course they are matched at 75db and sound much better. Ok my question is what volume should I be using to set the levels to 75db? Yesterday I had the denon set at default but have since changed the volume control to display in dB instead. Any help is much appreciated! Thank you
Chris
75dB should be at -10dB on the volume display. Movie reference 85dB is at 0dB, but that was too loud and annoying at home for most customers to measure at so they went down to 75dB/-10dB in the auto setup sweeps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok my bookshelf stands along with my spl meter came in. I followed Genes YouTube video to check my levels. I may or may not have done it correctly yesterday. I am sorry now that I didn’t take a screenshot before I changed them. Lesson learned. What I find curious is that audessey had my levels on average at -4.
In general, you should trust Audyssey's level settings (okay to bump the sub's level up a couple dB just to try and you may like it better) instead of your spl meter purchased on eBay. If your average spl is between 70-75 dB like mine (or even 80 dB), you should have dynamic EQ "On" and dynamic vol "off".

Ok my question is what volume should I be using to set the levels to 75db?
For the older Denon/Marantz, after running Audyssey auto setup, it would be about 75 dB with volume set to 0. Not sure about the newer models but likely the same.

In a small room, you may like flat better than reference, but again try both obviously and trust your ears.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Thank you ! very good points. I have relied on the spl fairy trusting that this meter is calibrated. I’m going to add my second Sony sub to the mix. Arrange everything and start from scratch Saturday. It seems to be coming together in my mind at least.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you ! very good points. I have relied on the spl fairy trusting that this meter is calibrated. I’m going to add my second Sony sub to the mix. Arrange everything and start from scratch Saturday. It seems to be coming together in my mind at least.
Before you do that, please read some of the following:

Or at the minimum, read and follow the instructions given in the Denon Owner's manual, to the letter.

After running auto setup, feel free to come back for suggestions on fine tuning/making manual adjustments.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For the older Denon/Marantz, after running Audyssey auto setup, it would be about 75 dB with volume set to 0. Not sure about the newer models but likely the same.
You're saying older D&M units didn't calibrate to the actual standard? When was this?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You're saying older D&M units didn't calibrate to the actual standard? When was this?
I thought I said the opposite, that the old ones would do 75 dB at vol 0 using the test tone after auto set up. And I wasn't saying the new ones are different, just wasn't sure.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought I said the opposite, that the old ones would do 75 dB at vol 0 using the test tone after auto set up. And I wasn't saying the new ones are different, just wasn't sure.
It sounded like you were talking about what reference level would be after calibration....yes, test tones at 75dB for units these days generally (or adjustable with the volume control).

ps and now that I reread your comment I just misunderstood....

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It sounded like you were talking about what reference level would be after calibration....yes, test tones at 75dB for units these days generally (or adjustable with the volume control).
Oh I see, sorry I meant test tone because I thought that's what the op was asking about and not movies.

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
Sorry they’re sideways but this is after Auddessey calibration. I’ve yet to critically listen but it not only turned my subs way down. Their individual volumes are at 1/4 with the phase at zero and the crossover knobs all the way up at 200 hz but also turned the other levels back down. I understand this is because of the small space and will see what it truly sounds like. I’ve got dynamic eq on and dynamic volume off. The denons lfe is set at 100. If anything looks out of whack any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you
chris

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
I’m also wondering if I should set the speakers crossovers to 80 or trust auddessey

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis