Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
Oh and I forgot to say, Thanks for the help Wmax!!

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
I'm gonna be an optimist here.

I'll assume that the Denon's pre-outs are PERFECTLY designed to connect to an amplifier that has a 10 kOhm input impedance!

I'll be sure to update when I hook up the amplifier.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
ExtraCheese said:
I'm gonna be an optimist here.

I'll assume that the Denon's pre-outs are PERFECTLY designed to connect to an amplifier that has a 10 kOhm input impedance!

I'll be sure to update when I hook up the amplifier.
Hmm. I highly suspect that is a typo or a poorly layed out sheet that is not clearly labeling the values. Your Denon should work perfectly.

-Chris

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
mtrycrafts said:
I don't know how expensive that Rotel is, but at $180 or so per channel, if you bridge those A500s, I doubt you can beat it with anything.

any two amplifiers with high input impedance, low output impedance, flat frequency response, and sufficiently low distortion and noise will sound exactly the same at matched levels if not clipped.)
a rotel 1080 is at least 1000 bucks (200w x 2)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mike c said:
a rotel 1080 is at least 1000 bucks (200w x 2)

In that case you buy two, you bridge that A500 puppy, and for $360, you will have amps that will do something like 360watts into 8 ohms.:D

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
ok, sorry for the semi-noobish question..but here goes
My fronts take 200W @ 8ohms, so would I be better off getting 1 or 2 of these ?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you can afford it, I'd buy two and just bridge each one. Nothing wrong with having more power on tap, even if you don't use it.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mike c said:
doesn't bridged amps produce distortion?
Since you are requiring 2x the current across the amplification stage at any given time when bridged, then bridged distortion should increase to what would be produced with half the normally driven load in unbridged mode. For example: An 8 ohm load driven with a bridged mode should force the amplifier to produce distortion equal to the standard 4 ohm loaded unbridged output. With a good amplifier such as the A500, the level of THD should be insignificant in either normal or bridged mode.

-Chris

Last edited:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
WmAx said:
The Audio Critic Magazine measured a Behringer A500 amplifier(test measurements made using Audio Precision Analyzer and PowerCube). I thought that people here would be interested in the results since it appears to be a superb value.

Of special note...

-bridgable to use a high power monoblock
-balanced and unbalanced inputs
-rock steady stability into 4 ohm loads and into highly inductive/capacitive loads(required for some rare difficult loads that many recievers may have problems driving)
-$180 street price!

Signal:Noise: -99dB

Crosstalk: -55dB

Frequency Response: -0.3dB @ 10Hz, -0.1dB @ 20Hz, 0.0db @ 1000 Hz, -0.2dB @ 10kHz, 0.6dB @ 20kHz,-2dB @ 40kHz

138 watts @ 8 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 1.000% THD+N, both channels driven

120 watts @ 8 ohms @ 20Hz @ 0.030% THD+N, 1 channel driven

120 watts @ 8 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 0.025% THD+N, 1 channel driven

120 watts @ 8 ohms @ 20000Hz @ 0.045% THD+N, 1 channel driven

220 watts @ 4 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 1.000% THD+N, both channels driven

180 watts @ 4 ohms @ 20Hz @ 0.056% THD+N, 1 channel driven

180 watts @ 4 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 0.050% THD+N, 1 channel driven

180 watts @ 4 ohms @ 20000Hz @ 0.050% THD+N, 1 channel driven

Harmonics of THD are primarily 2nd order, with subsequent harmonics approaching or under -100dB.

Power output was tested from 0 degrees phase resistive load(results given above) and into other phase angles up to +/- 60 degrees. Little variation of output voltage occured, regardless of phase angle.

-Chris
This is impressive!
Is the servo controlled mean Class D PS?
The comparable Outlaw (2100, Carver, Sunfire are switchers of sort.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
surveyor said:
This is impressive!
Is the servo controlled mean Class D PS?
The comparable Outlaw (2100, Carver, Sunfire are switchers of sort.
It's not a switching amplifier. More impressive is that they achieved this output using standard AB class amplifier for this cost, which means expensive heatsinking and power supply components of substantial size. The author of the Audio Critic author commented on the suprising size of these things in the article.

-Chris

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
WmAx said:
It's not a switching amplifier. More impressive is that they achieved this output using standard AB class amplifier for this cost, which means expensive heatsinking and power supply components of substantial size. The author of the Audio Critic author commented on the suprising size of these things in the article.

-Chris
That is one heck of a value!
I always find these kind of deals after I've made a more expensive purchase!:eek:
I have the Outlaw 770 amp.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
rollinrocker said:
Has anyone LISTENED to this amp?

For what? The reviewer did. I have full faith and confidence in his expertise.
But, I am sure there may be an return policy. Just be sure to do a decent DBT, levels matched to .1dBspl, etc.

L

lip11

Audiophyte
I haven't auditioned the A500, but based on my experience with the pro line EP1500, I'd have high expectations. I'm using an Anthem AVM20 digital preamp with B&W 801s with a Behringer EP1500 amp, and the sound is incredible.

The EP1500 has really restored my feelings about how much I love music and good sound reproduction. I just replaced a $2000 hi-end audiophile amp with this ridiculously cheap amp, and it sounds better in every respect: better bass definition, better overall speed and punch, dynamics that seem more like real music, better 3d placement of instruments and voices, and in general, just more musical. Another comment I want to make is that folks who criticize Behringer for being "cheap" or "lo-end" probably have never even heard their products. I know there's a reputation and history, but if you're spending big bucks on name alone, you're probably wasting a lot of money.

Based on this, I'd think the A500 is a great deal - I might just buy one. Heck, it's less than the frickin' tax on some ridiculously overpriced audiophile amps.

-John

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
so how did you connect the ep1500? XLR or 1/4" TRS? is it as simple as finding an RCA to 1/4" TRS? (is that the same as the connectors of microphones? - kinda like a giant earphone plug?)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
lip11 said:
I haven't auditioned the A500, but based on my experience with the pro line EP1500, I'd have high expectations. I'm using an Anthem AVM20 digital preamp with B&W 801s with a Behringer EP1500 amp, and the sound is incredible.
Does the EP1500's fan operate at an audible level of noise?

Another comment I want to make is that folks who criticize Behringer for being "cheap" or "lo-end" probably have never even heard their products.
To be fair, Behringer, about 5 years ago, was *fairly* rated as not being so great. They used to have a lot of quality control problems and other functional quirks about their hardware. However, a few years back, they turned the company around. Today I don't know of any other company that offers the general quality of equipment for anywhere near the value of Behringer so far as price is concerned, at least among their new generation products(they still have a few old generation products still in production).

-Chris

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
When you consider the Outlaw Audio 7125 will deliver more than 125x7 channels WPC into an 8 ohm load and 190x7 channels WPC into a 4 Ohm load (keeping in mind every Outlaw product ever made BEATS its stated spec), comes with a 5 year warranty, and costs about $145 per channel, The Outlaw, to me, is a better value. It is about $250 more, delivered, but with 5 times the warranty, a more elegant package, and real world excellent re-sale value, the 7125 looks pretty good.

Plus, my brother manufactures pro audio speakers and sells sells pro audio equipment - he won't carry Behringer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis