Bad day to be a terrorist

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone know why Clergy are now celibate, but didn't use to be?
Who cares, really, why Catholic priests are raping children under their "loving care"? And are such a huge outlier on the "clergy raping children" scale!

Are you apologizing for them?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Anyone know why Clergy are now celibate, but didn't use to be?
Pope Gregory VII. Apparently, they thought requiring new priests to be unmarried and all being celibate would make them more like Jesus.

DOH!

jinjuku

jinjuku

And the Catholic Church does count not towards "tribalism"? Perhaps try read my post again.
Did you see any qualifiers? I'm reading a book called Beirut to Jerusalem and Thomas makes a very good point about tribalism vs nationalism. It applies to many contexts.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It may but I don't think it's a remotely reasonable ask for something even better than getting down to a device the bad guys are wearing.

This literally went from guided 500,1000,2000lb munitions to GRAM's. And to ignore that wholesale? The apologist is about the only conclusion I can come up with as all other explanations are just not as logical.
While I agree that this op was about as precise as they can get, being critical of it does not imply support for the targets of said op.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Pope Gregory VII. Apparently, they thought requiring new priests to be unmarried and all being celibate would make them more like Jesus.

DOH!
No, not really. Clergy were allowed to marry at one point but they weren't supposed to amass wealth. So they would pass it through to their spouses.

It was an attempt to stop corruption.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Did you see any qualifiers? I'm reading a book called Beirut to Jerusalem and Thomas makes a very good point about tribalism vs nationalism. It applies to many contexts.
I may have to add that book to my reading list.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Tribalism is at the very core of humans as a hunter/gatherer species for at least 1.8 million years. Nationalism is not much different, apart from scale.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Antisemitism has a very long and very ugly history in Christianity.

The Holocaust and pogroms have antisemitism as cause, as obvious examples.

You can see antisemitism in works of Shakespeare with the Jewish financier Shylock wanting a “pound of flesh”. A phrase still commonly used.

You can see it in depictions of Jews in older churches.

On and on I, as well as you, can give many other examples.

So the notion that Jews and Christians are somehow BFE, historically speaking, is BS.
It does, but the reason is not well understood. As usual it comes down to money. For centuries the Catholic Church forbade charging interest on loans. It as the sin of usury, which was decreed to be a mortal sin. So there was no benefit to loaning money, and so the medieval economy remained very static over centuries. There was no prohibition to Jews lending money with interest. However in a static economy paying back as loan with interest was very difficult to put is mildly. This is the very basis of European anti-Semitism.

This does tie into the crusades. Richard I (The Lion Heart) was the great crusader. Wars are expensive and he ran up debts with the Jewish Money lenders. There was a large massacre of Jews on this account in Westminster and especially in York at Clifford's tower.

The reformation ended the prohibition of charging interest in the Protestant countries, and spurred economic development across Europe with the opening of stock exchanges in Denmark and England.

It also set the stage for wars between largely protestant and Catholic countries. Marlborough's wars require special mention. These ended with the treaty of Utrecht signed between 1713 and 1715, and ended the Spanish War of succession. The signing was celebrated in Westminster Abbey, with Handel writing his Utrecht Te Deum. Reports at the time reported "that all was irregular in the music, with Anthems in confusion!"
Fortunately these days it gets a good performance and is a much loved work.

The treaty of Utrecht was also of great consequence to North America and especially Canada.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Tribalism is at the very core of humans as a hunter/gatherer species for at least 1.8 million years. Nationalism is not much different, apart from scale.
Zionism, in part, is the belief in a State first. Thomas Friedman and Ephraim Karsh in their writings even talk about how tribalism played a part in the Arab Leagues stunning defeat in the 1948 war they waged and on the reciprocal, how Israels unification as a single vs twelve helped it survive. The thing you have to keep in mind about the 1948 war is that Israel didn't have the West's support like it has enjoyed historically now.

Israel from a military stand point was out manned 80:1, the armor equation even more heavily stacked against them. The start of the war didn't go too well for Israel either.

But on the other side you had both Nationalism and tribalism mindsets quickly entered the equation. To the point that you had Syria stealing Lebanon's arms shipments as just an example.

So this is my long winded way of saying Nationalism was better exercised by Israel. Technically Egypt alone was numerically, training, and armament, capable of removing 99% of the Jews from the Levant.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis