davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Jack Nicholson in the Shining. Classic use of an axe in a horror movie. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That axe head might also be a Baltimore Jersey type?
The Rockaway is rounded at the handle instead of being angular.

Rockaway Beach is like the first place I remember almost drowning at.
Is the stove you found one of the more efficient types? $300 for a cord of what?
Not quite seasoned oak and the stove is an old obsolete something. It's my first time at all this but my niece who buys the heating oil wanted the stove, hence the stove.

The smoke is annoying and I'm glad this is a small stove. There were 3 of us to drop it from a pick-up bed. No bueno.

Knowing Alex’s humor… the doll was the first test of the axe. :eek:

Know, about that dog?… has anyone seen it recently?
:oops:

:p
Actually I hadn't thought about beheading a doll but I'm thinking about it now.

The dog belongs to a 3 year old grand niece but he gets spoiled the most.

What's with the kids' doll box?
Kink shame much? :D

Did you get a cottage or did you move out of the condo?

Where/when I grew up, most people burned wood - as a primary or supplementary heat source. As a lazy teenager, I had to go into the woods with my grandfather to cut wood and haul it out on an old-school sledge. My Dad had a general store, so he had absolutely no time to spare for this activity. While most people had snowmobiles to pull their firewood sledges, that wasn't happening with my frugal grandfather. At least he had a chainsaw to fell trees and junk* them up.

Once we got the firewood home, it was my job to cleave** it, along with making "splits" (kindling). I learned that the colder it was, the easier the splitting. I won't claim to be the most skilled splitter in the world and I certainly beat up a few axe handles in my day. I started wrapping wire around the handle just under the axe head to protect it.

I loathed the job as a kid, but I love doing it know. I have a fireplace in my house, with an airtight insert. So, I burn some wood as a supplementary heat source and for the ambiance. I have a Sandvik "general-purpose" axe and a splitting maul. They do the job.

*Don't know if the term is used elsewhere, but in Newfoundland, a chunk of firewood is called a "junk".
**Another Newfoundland term.

We're in the process of getting moved in here. I want this to be the last place I fix up.

I can imagine trying to keep up with the firewood in NFL. No wonder God gave us whiskey.

You guys have words even regular Canadians don't know let alone the Yanks. In RI when I start telling you about my *junk ... it should feel like being kissed in your sleep on a submarine.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Kink shame much? :D
Oh, I'm not judging, just curious. :p
We're in the process of getting moved in here. I want this to be the last place I fix up.
I'm looking forward to seeing your audio system install.:D
I can imagine trying to keep up with the firewood in NFL. No wonder God gave us whiskey.

You guys have words even regular Canadians don't know let alone the Yanks. In RI when I start telling you about my *junk ... it should feel like being kissed in your sleep on a submarine.
I remember when I was a kid, visiting relatives in Ontario, their neighbour asked how things were in "the old country". :rolleyes::mad: So yeah, we use terms that have died out of usage in England and Ireland.

I haaaaaated working on firewood as a kid. Now, it's therapy.:)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
When I first saw this thread I thought it was about musical instruments ( Sax's and guitars) not wood chopping axes. So carry on :), For as wood chopping axe, I use the axe my grandfather gave me back in the late 60's, a Hults Bruk.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I remember when I was a kid, visiting relatives in Ontario, their neighbour asked how things were in "the old country". :rolleyes::mad: So yeah, we use terms that have died out of usage in England and Ireland.
No kidding. About visiting civilization, I mean. Where in Ontario? A long time ago a few of us Canadians talked about words like Chesterfield that only we would get. That and how these Southern Savages don't have Coffee Crisp.

This wood thing is a ton of work. I am aware that there are more efficient methods to all this but I'm also the guy who told cardiac rehaf to eff off so I need the work.

Oh, I'm not judging, just curious. :p

There's a 3 year old grand niece that comes with the dog and the yard. Just this morning when "Let it go" started going, I started going too. I've decided that all audible Frozen sh!t was high time for me to go do something else. I hate that Elsa slut.

Rich, check this out! I can feel myself being pulled into this rabbit hole but I am resisting!

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... but wait, there's more:

The Jersey/Rockaway question is edumakating more and more. I did find out it's Rockaway, New Jersey they're talking about. Rockaway Beach, NY seems to be a different location.

I still haven't run into that talk of the rounded lip versus the angular lip. Oh I think I hear something calling me from this here rabbit hole. At least my whole body hurts from something other than being a couch potato and eating Oreos. Okay, I did that too but ...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
No kidding. About visiting civilization, I mean. Where in Ontario? A long time ago a few of us Canadians talked about words like Chesterfield that only we would get. That and how these Southern Savages don't have Coffee Crisp.

This wood thing is a ton of work. I am aware that there are more efficient methods to all this but I'm also the guy who told cardiac rehaf to eff off so I need the work.

There's a 3 year old grand niece that comes with the dog and the yard. Just this morning when "Let it go" started going, I started going too. I've decided that all audible Frozen sh!t was high time for me to go do something else. I hate that Elsa slut.

Rich, check this out! I can feel myself being pulled into this rabbit hole but I am resisting!

Whitby.

Chesterfield - yep. When I was a kid, "sofa" and "couch" were words we heard on TV.

Love me some Coffee Crisp.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
When I first saw this thread I thought it was about musical instruments ( Sax's and guitars) not wood chopping axes. So carry on :), For as wood chopping axe, I use the axe my grandfather gave me back in the late 60's, a Hults Bruk.
It's not only saxes and guitars, but I'm not sure it applies to these-

highfigh

highfigh

... but wait, there's more:

The Jersey/Rockaway question is edumakating more and more. I did find out it's Rockaway, New Jersey they're talking about. Rockaway Beach, NY seems to be a different location.

I still haven't run into that talk of the rounded lip versus the angular lip. Oh I think I hear something calling me from this here rabbit hole. At least my whole body hurts from something other than being a couch potato and eating Oreos. Okay, I did that too but ...
This Rockaway Beach?

highfigh

highfigh

Whitby.

Chesterfield - yep. When I was a kid, "sofa" and "couch" were words we heard on TV.

Love me some Coffee Crisp.
Then, there's the beloved 'divan'.

Not sure why so many names exist for it- some call it a settee, there's also a 'fainting couch'.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
it was passed down from my grandfather to me,
Back in the days of buggy whips ... I'm sure it's seen some action.

I started reading about sharpening these things. It's not like sharpening a chisel or a regular blade. There's a rounding thing they do at the blade. I thought I was cool with my double bevel sharpening technique but I guess axes are different. Another rabbit hole I suppose.

So I've changed what I'm trying to strike with the axe. Now I want to hit the stump below the log, the log is just sort of in the way but not for very much longer. Way less deflected axe heads to not cut my feet off with. Way more landing the blow right in the stump. Way less couch potato-ing. I never knew just how good I had it living in a condo above the building's laundry room.

My hands and forearms are mostly done throbbing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis