Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Without the standard-issue red & black flannel shirt, I can only assume this is a Texas lumberjack .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rather than cut wood, pellet stove :) They have ones you can install in your fireplace.
Yeah, that's what I got when I bought my place, the fireplace had been converted to pellet stove so I just heft the 40 lb bags of pellets now and then....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
In modern times, we would call it a sledge.
Yeah, even the few pics I've seen have me thinking of a sledge hammer head on the opposite end of an axe blade. The weapon aspect of an axe was made cool by The Hound in Game of Thrones. I rewatched the episode and decided he really doesn't have the shwing right.
The top one. I saw a nice double bit felling axe like that for 50 bucks on Marketplace.

My son is into refurbishing old axes, and then selling them. I went to my garage and found this old ax rusting. I was with my father in 1957 when he bought this at Sears. It’s a Sears Craftsman ax. In those days Sears axes were made by a company called Plumb. My son said I want it! He said if you remove the rest, polish it up and sharpen the edge, you can sell it for as much as $300.

Zoom in on the head of the ax in the photo. Look on the left side, and see the Plumb imprint. Ax collectors want to see the original handle.

1701315157496.jpeg

So yours is a Rockaway and my felling axe is Connecticut.

Mine is a 4lb Craftsman.
LOL I've done some wood splitting before....lots harder than I thought it was. I'd probably just get one of these these days if I had a fireplace https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDMAX-6-5-Ton-15-Amp-Horizontal-Electric-Log-Splitter-YS0650/323678117
That looks cool.

We had a chimney that 6" black pipe fit right into. The stove (not fire place) showed up for $200 and some wood for $300 to get in this game. Pellet stoves are like $1200 new? I've heard anyways. Plus they're noisy.

FWIW, there are quite a few videos on youtube about splitting firewood with an axe. People have come up with a surprising number of ways to make it quicker and more efficient.
I've seen a few! That's what got me away from the overstrike protector thingies. There's ways to "tune" the wood handles ... probably even forums! :D

Just get 2 subwoofers and forget all that lumber jack stuff.

After all, this an AH thread.
Man, the conditioning might just be what keeps me out of the OR but I made a God of Thunder swing at an oddly shaped stump that again missed and sent a shock up the handle that bruised my pinky.. No sh!t, it's purple.

Still no tunes in the new digs.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Rockaway Beach in NYC is the place where my Dad grew up, since he was 5 years old!!

That axe head might also be a Baltimore Jersey type?

Cool chart.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
My son is into refurbishing old axes, and then selling them. I went to my garage and found this old ax rusting. I was with my father in 1957 when he bought this at Sears. It’s a Sears Craftsman ax. In those days Sears axes were made by a company called Plumb. My son said I want it! He said if you remove the rest, polish it up and sharpen the edge, you can sell it for as much as $300.

Zoom in on the head of the ax in the photo. Look on the left side, and see the Plumb imprint. Ax collectors want to see the original handle.

That can't be the original handle, can it? And, the butt-end of the blade doesn't look peened over at all. Should clean up really well.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That can't be the original handle, can it? And, the butt-end of the blade doesn't look peened over at all. Should clean up really well.
It is definitely the original handle. I was with my dad when he bought it. We had moved into a new house half a year earlier. I’m not sure why he bought it, if I remember correctly, it was marked to lower price. I also think he just liked it. It hardly got used. We did have 2 fire places and got a large pile of unsplit logs. At the same time he bought the axe he also bought splitting wedges. He already had a sledge hammer. Maybe he thought it would help with splitting work.

That axe stayed in the garage ever since then. When my mother moved out of that house I took it. Its surface was rusty and covered with some serious spider webs. I cleaned them before I took the photo. Later my son removed all the rust, decided to keep it. I’ll bug him for a photo.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, even the few pics I've seen have me thinking of a sledge hammer head on the opposite end of an axe blade. The weapon aspect of an axe was made cool by The Hound in Game of Thrones. I rewatched the episode and decided he really doesn't have the shwing right.

The top one. I saw a nice double bit felling axe like that for 50 bucks on Marketplace.

View attachment 64447

Mine is a 4lb Craftsman.

That looks cool.

We had a chimney that 6" black pipe fit right into. The stove (not fire place) showed up for $200 and some wood for $300 to get in this game. Pellet stoves are like $1200 new? I've heard anyways. Plus they're noisy.

I've seen a few! That's what got me away from the overstrike protector thingies. There's ways to "tune" the wood handles ... probably even forums! :D

Man, the conditioning might just be what keeps me out of the OR but I made a God of Thunder swing at an oddly shaped stump that again missed and sent a shock up the handle that bruised my pinky.. No sh!t, it's purple.

Still no tunes in the new digs.
Did you get a cottage or did you move out of the condo?

Where/when I grew up, most people burned wood - as a primary or supplementary heat source. As a lazy teenager, I had to go into the woods with my grandfather to cut wood and haul it out on an old-school sledge. My Dad had a general store, so he had absolutely no time to spare for this activity. While most people had snowmobiles to pull their firewood sledges, that wasn't happening with my frugal grandfather. At least he had a chainsaw to fell trees and junk* them up.

Once we got the firewood home, it was my job to cleave** it, along with making "splits" (kindling). I learned that the colder it was, the easier the splitting. I won't claim to be the most skilled splitter in the world and I certainly beat up a few axe handles in my day. I started wrapping wire around the handle just under the axe head to protect it.

I loathed the job as a kid, but I love doing it know. I have a fireplace in my house, with an airtight insert. So, I burn some wood as a supplementary heat source and for the ambiance. I have a Sandvik "general-purpose" axe and a splitting maul. They do the job.

*Don't know if the term is used elsewhere, but in Newfoundland, a chunk of firewood is called a "junk".
**Another Newfoundland term.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It is definitely the original handle. I was with my dad when he bought it. We had moved into a new house half a year earlier. I’m not sure why he bought it, if I remember correctly, it was marked to lower price. I also think he just liked it. It hardly got used. We did have 2 fire places and got a large pile of unsplit logs. At the same time he bought the axe he also bought splitting wedges. He already had a sledge hammer. Maybe he thought it would help with splitting work.

That axe stayed in the garage ever since then. When my mother moved out of that house I took it. Its surface was rusty and covered with some serious spider webs. I cleaned them before I took the photo. Later my son removed all the rust, decided to keep it. I’ll bug him for a photo.
I guess that's why the handle looks immaculate.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, that's what I got when I bought my place, the fireplace had been converted to pellet stove so I just heft the 40 lb bags of pellets now and then....
40 pounds is hefting? I poured a 15 bag concrete slab on the 19th and those were 60 lb bags. I had to lift 60 lb a total of 66 times too and that matches my age.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
40 pounds is hefting? I poured a 15 bag concrete slab on the 19th and those were 60 lb bags. I had to lift 60 lb a total of 66 times too and that matches my age.
That's heftier alrighty....even when I bought the pellets by the ton, that's only 50 bags....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That looks cool.

I didn't buy the stove, it was there when I bought the house. Partly they're trying to reduce wood smoke issues in this county, our town is still the worst violator, tho many have converted to the more efficient wood stoves or pellet stoves but many places were simply built around burning wood for heating, being a mill town and in the middle of a national forest, not like we're short on the stuff. Is the stove you found one of the more efficient types? $300 for a cord of what?

Back when we did have to chop wood in another place I lived, as the wood stove was the only source of heat, we needed to change the old stove out....carrying the older smaller one out and down the stairs was a lot of fun, but the larger and heavier new one was even more fun.....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That's heftier alrighty....even when I bought the pellets by the ton, that's only 50 bags....
I was surprised that I was never fatigued during that, even when I was on my hands & knees while finishing it. No pain in my back, arms, legs....weird.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis