Aw, gee, too bad for MQA

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You'd think an Australian could speak english, or at least understand it, tho.
Of course, but I am not sure if they teach grammar like they used to many years ago. Not just Australia but even in the UK. There are more, aside from grammar, as you know, previously considered incorrectly used words, misspelled words are getting normalized too (e.g. practicable vs practical, irregardless vs regardless, presently vs currently etc etc..), that, sometimes can create confusion and/or misunderstanding. We have to wonder if we are the ones who have to learn, or adapt:D We can always blame the internet, and the media...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
It's a thread I started, if I want to ask about vinyl I'm fine with that. Could be something like this https://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-music/nina-simones-the-montreux-years-on-mqa-mastered-vinyl-and-expanded-cd-sets/
@lovinthehd
Indeed ! You started the thread and you should be able to comment on whatever you like.
Hey, wait a minute. I didn't start the thread and I often comment on whatever I want.
What's going on here? Maybe, just maybe, this is a forum and people just kibbitz and throw in thoughts as they occur. No harm, no foul. Threads wander a bit.

This entire business with the fellow who made bold statements as if they were fact and then wants to wrestle over grammar and meaning is laughable. That's definitely not what the forum is about.
@lovinthehd keep up the good work. Wander when you feel like it. Use bad grammar if you wish.
Heck, even misspell a word here and there and go ahead and mix tenses while you're at it.
I will keep reading.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Of course, but I am not sure if they teach grammar like they used to many years ago. Not just Australia but even in the UK. There are more, aside from grammar, as you know, previously considered incorrectly used words, misspelled words are getting normalized too (e.g. practicable vs practical, irregardless vs regardless, presently vs currently etc etc..), that, sometimes can create confusion and/or misunderstanding. We have to wonder if we are the ones who have to learn, or adapt:D We can always blame the internet, and the media...
There is always this fallback, in case there are any communication issues. :D

1681317851197.png

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
lets not get of subject .Gent's We're talking about MQA NOTHING else

And on that subject DAC chip manufacturers have dropped production of MQA enabled chips..
When did that happen, a while back or very recently. Just curious.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Not quite correct, But I can see your trying hard to understand. If and when bankruptcy applies, MQA will simply not exist. There-for it's plain to understand for most people, that you can't access or use something which no longer exists.
You mean that all MQA already recorded and out there will no longer play? Or Tidal will no longer be able to stream them perhaps because their license will be null and void?
Certainly, no new recording will be made.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
And now for some actual news, Tidal will be adding FLAC file support:
Tidal Adopting Hi-Res FLAC for HiFi Plus Subscribers | Sound & Vision (soundandvision.com)
Possibly (mere speculation) Tidal is attempting to cover their bases in case the MQA thing goes teats up. This is of interest to me because I have a lot of time and some money invested in Tidal. Tidal is my streaming platform of choice as it was the first (I think) in the US to offer high(er) resolution streaming services. Plenty of albums and playlists saved and several playlists created. I have three DACs (desk top, portable and main rig) and a DAP that decode MQA. My thinking was if Tidal screws the proverbial pooch with MQA, I would migrate over to Qobuz, but if Tidal is offering hi rez files via FLAC (like Qobuz) I may stay put.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yeah, it would be nice with a source for that claim.
Yep, I was just curious. Perhaps those chip designers/makers saw the light and just stopped buying a license and contributed to the demise.
Good riddance. We have enough nonsense out there.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yep, I was just curious. Perhaps those chip designers/makers saw the light and just stopped buying a license and contributed to the demise.
Good riddance. We have enough nonsense out there.
There’s still quite a bit of stock of DAC IC with MQA support, though. New DACs using those IC will probably just have MQA disabled, depending how far they’re away from release.

I don’t use MQA myself so I won’t miss it personally.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Some more speculation on my part: IMO, MQA is not going to immediately go the way of the dodo. One look at the MQA website is enough reinforce this: Playback Devices | Unlock Studio-Quality Sound of MQA | MQA 55 manufacturers of DACs alone, running the gamut of pricing (from <$100 to upper five figures) have invested plenty of time, research and money in MQA licensing and playback.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tidal Adopting Hi-Res FLAC for HiFi Plus Subscribers | Sound & Vision (soundandvision.com)
Possibly (mere speculation) Tidal is attempting to cover their bases in case the MQA thing goes teats up. This is of interest to me because I have a lot of time and some money invested in Tidal. Tidal is my streaming platform of choice as it was the first (I think) in the US to offer high(er) resolution streaming services. Plenty of albums and playlists saved and several playlists created. I have three DACs (desk top, portable and main rig) and a DAP that decode MQA. My thinking was if Tidal screws the proverbial pooch with MQA, I would migrate over to Qobuz, but if Tidal is offering hi rez files via FLAC (like Qobuz) I may stay put.
LOL yeah, I saw that they have now discovered lossless flac, what a revelation.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It is about time, their support for MQA was so misguided/or short sighted, unnecessary (might have been necessary at launch time) imo. The only part I like it is the "authentication" part. The compression/processing part is unnecessary, given that high speed internet speed and unlimited data plans are gaining popularity by the day. By the way, Was Tidal really first to offer HR streaming, I thought it was Qobuz.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
I thought that David Chesky was a pretty smart guy and a knowledgeable,credible audiophile. So why is he signing on with a bunch of losers (and a sinking ship) like MQA?

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
I recently subscribed to Tidal and was curious if I could hear the difference between FLAC and MQA files. I could not. This question could easily be decided by 'blind' listening tests, and, why not, invite MQA fans as the test audience. The fact that MQA has never conducted these, or if they have, suppressed the results, is, I think, meaningful.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I recently subscribed to Tidal and was curious if I could hear the difference between FLAC and MQA files. I could not. This question could easily be decided by 'blind' listening tests, and, why not, invite MQA fans as the test audience. The fact that MQA has never conducted these, or if they have, suppressed the results, is, I think, meaningful.
The fact that their biggest cheerleader is dropping their codec is all I need to know.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
The fact that their biggest cheerleader is dropping their codec is all I need to know.
I'm just thinking of those (know-it-all) MIT physics undergrads, who long ago challenged a 'golden ears' audience, to distinguish lamp cord (purchased at a local hardware store) from 'audiophile' grade 'cables'. And the Golden Ears could not hear the difference in the blind test.

Revel, and maybe other serious speaker makers routinely do blinded listening testing of their designs.

REW is also a great test, of course!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis