AVR Audio Calibration

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
My equipment is listed in my below signature. I recently did another Audyssey speaker calibration and came up with, "Full Band." When hearing 5.1 Dolby Surround movie, does, "Full Band," mean I am getting optimum frequency response at all levels, in the 5 speakers? In being in, "Full Band," mode, I noticed the subwoofer gain control would not change, whether turned to the knob all the way down or up. The std LFE setting is at 120HZ.

In the audio setting in the Denon, I changed all the speakers to 80Hz and the sound remained the same. But forgot to see if adjusting the Subwoofer gain up or down, made a difference in the Bass.

So, does this mean the front speakers are well matched, or what? What bothers me, the subwoofer gain, makes no difference if I increase or decrease, the Bass sound does not change. The subwoofer is about 9 years old and used every day for 10 hours, the past 4 years.

Anyway, the sound coming from the front speakers are balanced, and am surrounded in sound watching movies in Dolby, with the right amount of base. So, leaving the Audyssey calibrated setting at, "FULL BAND," giving me the full sound benefit? Just wondering if any opinions or am missing anything. I just don't know what the, "Full Band," means, when my speakers are not Full Band.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It means your avr manufacturer decided based on the measurements taken to ignore Audyssey's general recommendation of setting all speakers to small and an 80hz crossover when using a sub (i.e. not full band but limited by crossover), and instead decided to set them full band (large in the older terminology). Did it set all speakers to full band or just the fronts? LPF of LFE setting isn't adjusted by Audyssey, and 120 is the normal setting. Are you using the LFE or LFE+Main mode in the avr? In the end it's a matter of preference in any case.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@lovinthehd The Front speakers are reading Full BAND. The SS is reading 60Hz. I am using the LFE setting in the Denon AVR. The Speakers are set to Small via calibration result or did not change from previous calibration results. Even though the GAIN knob adjustment on the SUB, does not respond, I am okay with the 5.1 sound results. It is doing its thing. This is the first time my results were FULL BAND and had to question. The woofer Bass result is to my liking too.

I appreciate your confirmation and leaving the calibrated settings as they are. All seams in balance for Dolby sound movies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First, the resultant settings of full band (as opposed to a crossover) are generally based on the measurements yielding an f3 of 40hz or lower. This may be partly due to the speakers themselves or even placement/room acoustics to an extent. What do you mean the speakers are set to small if they're being run full range? That's contradictory....

I wouldn't run your fronts as full range myself but YMMV. After running Audyssey you can raise the suggested full range/crossover value (lowering a suggested crossover you would open a gap in eq capabilities). Have you tried raising crossovers to Audyssey recommended 80hz?

That your sub's gain adjustment does nothing is curious, what is the approx setting of the gain on the sub (1/4, 1/2 or ?) Are you measuring at all with a measurement mic or even just an spl meter? What are the subwoofer trim levels set to?

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Yes, I changed the Crossover to 80Hz this morning. and solved the issue. I don't like a whole lot of Bass and the gain is at 9 from the off position. This was the first time in years, that the Speaker calibration came up with Full Band. Also, I did not know that Audyssey recommended 80HZ, although reading in the past, others have set their crossover to 80HZ. Now I know why. lol

@lovinthehd Thank you for your incite.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis