AVR and Speaker Crossovers

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
You can do what you want with ur 10” drivers and people don’t really agree what is distortion and when compression starts. I decided to downgrade them to surround duty. Well, at least don’t know many that have such exquisite surrounds For sure way better than Klipsch Ultra 2 THX.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
I missed writing that this was for the subwoofer/monitor crossover slope. At hand I don’t recall the crossover slopes for their other drivers.
Understood... I just went off on a tangent in general. My bad.

Though the rules are basically the same regardless of whether the two drivers are in the same box or not.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
You can do what you want with ur 10” drivers and people don’t really agree what is distortion and when compression starts. I decided to downgrade them to surround duty. Well, at least don’t know many that have such exquisite surrounds For sure way better than Klipsch Ultra 2 THX.
Thanks for your permission. What's the SPL output of my 10" speaker at 60Hz?

As to definitions: use the same definition you did here: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/avr-and-speaker-crossovers.129019/post-1647307

You clearly computed it for teetertotter, otherwise you couldn't have told him it wouldn't work. Just do the same thing you did for that post. Feel encouraged to define and quantify both compression and distortion. I'd suggest +/- 3db.

Unless you agree with me that, though size provides "some clue" (quoting you), but isn't enough to actually determine capability.

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
And why should I re measure my speakers? This was done years ago and they did compress 2dB at 100dB @2m @50hz. Do you think they got better with age?

Really don’t know what your speakers can do - I thought you had those small Klipsch with 5” driver? Are you counting two of those as 1 10”?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Based on the size of your LCR woofers (5.5") 80hz might theoretically be a better crossover as these speakers would ideally need to play 40hz frequency (if set at 40hz crossover) at 105dB SPL reference volume.
Really don’t know what your speakers can do - I thought you had those small Klipsch with 5” driver? Are you counting two of those as 1 10”?
You seemed to know what the other poster's could do based on the size of the woofers. Why can't you tell on mine based on the size of my woofer?

Actually the woofer size and the box size will give you really important clues unless you command the force to defeat the physics.
Yes. Clues, but not conclusions.

Unless you agree with me that, though size provides "some clue" (quoting you), but isn't enough to actually determine capability. Is that it? You agree with me?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I’m not sure why you want to die on this particular hill.

Below is a SPL measurement (on axis at a distance of 4 meters) at 3% and 10% distortion from Sound and Recording of the Genelec 8361A active monitor that is a “bookshelf” but a big one. It is coaxial with two racetrack woofers for bass. Packs quite a punch and I would love to own them were it not for the price.

As the 8361A coaxial it would nicely as a powerful center speaker when put on the side on top of my AVR rack but below my wall mounted TV. It would then replace a two-way bookshelf.

1721249395092.png

1721249932957.png

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
It is funny to see someone on an audio site whose motto is about truth and empiricism dismiss measured output.

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
Just to close this out @JerryLove and @Trell = thank you for your responses. Much appreciated. Seems like we don't seem to get along well so I wish you all the best in enjoying the systems you have, or dreaming about the systems that you could, or could not, have. There is absolutely no point in bothering the rest of community with our little petty things.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis