Auro-3D Listening Evaluation on a Denon AVR-X7200WA

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You might not know it but Auro-3D is the granddaddy of immersive audio. Armed with Denon's AVR-X7200WA receiver, we took a good hard look at Auro-3D's technology, how you can take advantage of it at home, and how it performed in a real-world setup. We give you our candid thoughts about what makes Auro-3D special among competing immersive formats and some of the downsides that come with trying to run parallel Auro-3D, Dolby Atmos, and DTS:X immersive surround speaker installations.

auro3D.jpg

Read: Auro-3D Listening Evaluation on a Denon AVR-X7200WA

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
How about a comparison between Auro 3D, DTS-X and Dolby Atmos? Obviously, Auro 3D performs well with demo material but the lack of content puts it in the niche category, and that isn't likely to change. So how does it stack up against formats that are more likely to escape their niche status?

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
@Blue Dude, having compared Auro-3D, DTS-X, and Dolby Atmos material, I can say that each format does what it promises to do: deliver an immersive audio experience. While I did use two of the demo discs, I also used native Blu-ray content as well. And it's spectacular. What I feel Auro-3D does better than either DTS:X or Dolby Atmos, is reproduce discrete overhead sounds better, with a more realistic sensation. In that respect, DTS:X and Dolby Atmos sound more like they render overhead effects with a phantom center channel as opposed to a discrete channel. That's probably the best way to describe it. I think that if we get to the point where DTS:X can utilize the overhead VOG speaker in its consumer speaker layout support, that will be a big boost to DTS:X.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Theo, thank you for the excellent write-up.

What are your thoughts on the presence or absence of room treatments for someone going with a full 13.1 config.? I ask since typically we recommend absorption for 1st reflections and diffusion for the ceiling. Will there be an expectation to put absorption panels between low, height and top tiers to increase channel separation? I can see the expectation for a thick carpet to reduce floor bounce remaining unchanged, but, what about ceiling diffusion panels around the T speaker?

I don't like that Auro3D speaker config is a sequence breaker with 14 (13.1) speakers. (Silence, Stereo, Quad, 7.1, 15.1 :cool:.)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
While Auro 3D sounds interesting, I don't see it happening. Dolby Atmos is niche and so is DTS-X. This report might even cause some consumer confusion with all of these different Immersive audio formats and their do's and don'ts. Also, to even suggest 3D audio to two-channel purist as viable is a reach.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
When will Auro 3D come to blurays in our home theatres.

TheoN

TheoN

The article was updated to reflect that using the Denon's 11.1 amp assign mode with the unified layout will allow you to use the VOG speaker with Auro-3D content.

TheoN

TheoN

While Auro 3D sounds interesting, I don't see it happening. Dolby Atmos is niche and so is DTS-X. This report might even cause some consumer confusion with all of these different Immersive audio formats and their do's and don'ts. Also, to even suggest 3D audio to two-channel purist as viable is a reach.
There's no question that having competing standards is going to cause customer confusion. The unified layout is the closest thing we have today and it will be immensely satisfying to most.

TheoN

TheoN

When will Auro 3D come to blurays in our home theatres.
There are several Auro-3D Blu-rays available but unfortunately, they don't seem to be available easily in the US market. Looking at Auro-3D's Blu-ray page and overseas online resellers (like Amazon Germany) Auro-3D content seems to be more easily accessible outside US markets.

TheoN

TheoN

Theo, thank you for the excellent write-up.

What are your thoughts on the presence or absence of room treatments for someone going with a full 13.1 config.? I ask since typically we recommend absorption for 1st reflections and diffusion for the ceiling. Will there be an expectation to put absorption panels between low, height and top tiers to increase channel separation? I can see the expectation for a thick carpet to reduce floor bounce remaining unchanged, but, what about ceiling diffusion panels around the T speaker?

I don't like that Auro3D speaker config is a sequence breaker with 14 (13.1) speakers. (Silence, Stereo, Quad, 7.1, 15.1 :cool:.)
Great question. Of course, the traditional treatment rules still apply with some caveats depending on your setup. For example, with Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers, you need to make sure that the ceiling area is hard and reflective without treatments in the broad area where the speaker will reflect off the ceiling.

I'll ping the folks at Auro-3D for their thoughts on your question re: room treatment for the VOG speaker.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
There are several Auro-3D Blu-rays available but unfortunately, they don't seem to be available easily in the US market. Looking at Auro-3D's Blu-ray page and overseas online resellers (like Amazon Germany) Auro-3D content seems to be more easily accessible outside US markets.
Ok thanks TheoN, I will do some searching.I thought only Atmos and dtsx was available for movies.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Theo, good job on the article. It definitely cleared up a few things for me but I do have a question for you. The Denon receiver that you used doesn’t have pre-outs for the VOG. How does it implement that channel? Does it blend 2 of the DTSX ceiling channels to synthesize a single channel?

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
On the 4300H, the Top Surround (VOG) is fed by the line level Subwoofer 2 output, and requires an external amp. I would imagine the 7200WA is similar.

Yes, this mean you give up one of the important Audyssey functions: corrections for two subs. You can still split the SW1 line output to two subs but you no longer get independent correction curves for them.

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
On the 4300H, the Top Surround (VOG) is fed by the line level Subwoofer 2 output, and requires an external amp. I would imagine the 7200WA is similar.

Yes, this mean you give up one of the important Audyssey functions: corrections for two subs. You can still split the SW1 line output to two subs but you no longer get independent correction curves for them.
I plan on picking up this receiver as a Pre Pro. I plan to run a MiniDSP 2x4 with Multi Sub Optimizer to take care of my sub integration. It will probably work better than the Audyssey. I have 4 subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SeismicHT

SeismicHT

Audioholic Intern
What are your thoughts on integrating 3D with a low 7’ ceiling? I plan to run the bottom surrounds somewhat lower than ear level and the surround heights will be at the wall and ceiling Intersection pointed downward. VOG just forward of and middle of seating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Still trying to understand how practical Auro 3D is for music. Do you want music coming out of the VOG channel.

Also, have any studios announced any Blu Rays with Auro 3D?

J

jkillian

Audiophyte
Thanks Theo. I have been troubling with my own setup with the AVR-X7200WA, which is what you reviewed.
My configuration is 10.1, all confirmed wiring and correct Amp assign. I have both Auro 3D Demo Discs so determining speaker placement correctness was easily accomplished. My real issue seems to be the source(s). In the Demo Disc setup section the program audibly identifies each location. When the program identifies the Height Layer speakers the sound remains at Lower Level speakers and also when identifying the Top layer which is separately amped through the LFE 2 output as designated by Denon. I have tried two separate Sony BluRay players with the same outcome. The 7200WA indicates Auro 2D only. Does anyone know of a bit stream issue with Sony players?

J

jkillian

Audiophyte
Should have noted: Very little response or help from Auro 3D in Belgium or From Denon.

G

goin3wide

Audiophyte
Can the Auro 3D 11.1 have a "pair" of VOG speakers? I happen to have 2 ceiling speakers and wondered if I can install both, to "spread that sound out a bit? thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis