Auro-3D Listening Evaluation on a Denon AVR-X7200WA

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Can the Auro 3D 11.1 have a "pair" of VOG speakers? I happen to have 2 ceiling speakers and wondered if I can install both, to "spread that sound out a bit? thanks
Wire them in series. Why not?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
As of July 2018, can we now declare Auro 3D a dead consumer audio format? If not, please tell me when. As I said earlier in this thread, all Auro 3D is doing in the market place is causing consumer confusion. Dolby Atmos is basically on life support, very little Atmos content and DTS-X isn't much better in that regard. With that being said, why should Auro 3D even be a factor when someone is considering purchasing an a/v receiver.

W

wagrant

Audiophyte
As of July 2018, can we now declare Auro 3D a dead consumer audio format? If not, please tell me when. As I said earlier in this thread, all Auro 3D is doing in the market place is causing consumer confusion. Dolby Atmos is basically on life support, very little Atmos content and DTS-X isn't much better in that regard. With that being said, why should Auro 3D even be a factor when someone is considering purchasing an a/v receiver.
My post is in reference to Auditor55 that declares Auro 3D is a dead consumer format. Well as of January 29, 2019 I declare that Auro 3D is alive and well. I believe that most people that don’t have experience with Auro 3D won’t understand how great the sound really is. I have ordered many discs with the Auro 3D mix and I also have many Dolby Atmos discs, which sound outstanding using the Auro-Matic 3D upconverter. I setup my TX-NR3030 for Dolby Atmos 7.2.2 in 2014 and found it to be fantastic. The drawback was that I have a collection of over 1000 Blu-ray movies and Atmos only works with Atmos discs. I was very happy because that’s all I knew at the time. Being an early adopter and sound fanatic, I was doing some research about immersive sound and came across the name Auro 3D. I became intrigued with what I read and wanted to take a chance with another format, so I purchased a Marantz SR 7009 in 2016 and added the Auro 3D upgrade. I reconfigured my speaker layout to 10.1.2 and the rest is history. All I use now is Auro 3D for everything I listen to and everything sounds unbelievable using it. The Auro-Matic 3D upconverter gives life to football and baseball games as well with the sense of being in the freaking game. All of my discs are now immersive sound and they are impressive beyond words. Just so you are aware Auro 3D is here to stay, anyone that has the proper layout and good speakers will also tell you the same thing I am saying right now. Sorry for the long post.

W

wagrant

Audiophyte
Everyone is always talking about content content content, the Auro 3D upmixer; Auro-Matic does it quite well. Atmos and DTX need the content to perform, Auro 3D does not. The upmixer is so powerful that any disc in any format comes out in immersive sound. I have mono movies on disc and Auro-Matic seamlessly provides. My whole collection of Bluray movies are impressive now. This is where Atmos and DTX fall short. If there is no Atmos material you get no Atmos effects. Yes, I have to go with the UK to find native Auro 3D material, but at the same time my collection of movies perform no the less. Any content going through Auro-Matic upmixer is fantastic, local TV stations, football, baseball games put you right into the action. Dolby Labs and DTS have been entrenched in the market, I believe they are part of problem with getting more Auro content available; that's just my guess. Bottom line Auro 3D outranks them both. I started with a Atmos receiver in 2014 when it was basically unknown by many, but with research and a hope I bought in the Auro 3D concept in 2016 reconfigured my speakers and I have been more than happy ever since. You ought to here my Atmos encoded disc playing in Auro 3D, it will blow your mind. This is all I use now, so content does not matter. Auro 3D is simply the best.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
You do realize you can up mix any existing content with Dolby's DSU or Dts Neural X. This does exactly the same as AuroMatic. Auro 3d is pretty much DOA in the home. Neither Yamaha or Pioneer support it and Denon/Marantz only keep it around for the top tier models, mostly for the home market. Content is largely restricted to Japanese and German imports. You are not going to see Auro support in Tvs or soundbars anytime soon. Streaming is really only supporting Dolby and Atmos. It hangs around in the IMAX theatres and a some other cinema locations, but IMAX and Denon are now linked up with their IMAX mode.

You are not going to see a lot of new content released, except perhaps in music. So feel free to enjoy what you have and if you prefer AuroMatic over DSU or Neural X then fine.

W

wagrant

Audiophyte
Good report, I do see your point and I do understand why you feel the the way you do.But isn't it interesting that the very top of the line manufactures like Trinnov, Datasat, Barco, Storm Audio and Marantz all seem to have Auro 3D available in their equipment?? Jeffrey Katzenberg, founder and CEO of Dreamworks Animation stated back in 2012: “We actually considered a number of different new sound formats, but it became very clear to us that the Auro-3D audio format is actually the best. We believe they are going to be leaders in the market.” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is to integrate the Auro-3D sound format within select SPHE titles slated for distribution across physical and digital home entertainment. “We are happy to work with Auro Technologies on bringing a more immersive sound experience to home audiences,” says Rich Berger, SVP, global digital strategy and operations, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Cinemark Theaters is the third largest movie theater circuit in the United States and also operates movie theaters in Latin American and Taiwan. In 2017, Cinemark operated a total of 81 theaters in Brazil use the 11.1 Auro 3D. I believe they have it right, I don't see Auro 3D going anywhere but up, simply because it is relevant in the industry.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Good report, I do see your point and I do understand why you feel the the way you do.But isn't it interesting that the very top of the line manufactures like Trinnov, Datasat, Barco, Storm Audio and Marantz all seem to have Auro 3D available in their equipment?? Jeffrey Katzenberg, founder and CEO of Dreamworks Animation stated back in 2012: “We actually considered a number of different new sound formats, but it became very clear to us that the Auro-3D audio format is actually the best. We believe they are going to be leaders in the market.” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is to integrate the Auro-3D sound format within select SPHE titles slated for distribution across physical and digital home entertainment. “We are happy to work with Auro Technologies on bringing a more immersive sound experience to home audiences,” says Rich Berger, SVP, global digital strategy and operations, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Cinemark Theaters is the third largest movie theater circuit in the United States and also operates movie theaters in Latin American and Taiwan. In 2017, Cinemark operated a total of 81 theaters in Brazil use the 11.1 Auro 3D. I believe they have it right, I don't see Auro 3D going anywhere but up, simply because it is relevant in the industry.
As far as I know the only popular brand receivers (s) that offers Auro3D to their mid level receivers and up are Denon (3 models)/Marantz (2 models+2 prepros). The two are made by the same company so one can argue that's just one brand. I don't think Onkyo, Yamaha or even Sony supports it, if true, I highly doubt Auro3D will survive. Datasat, ATI etc., are just too expensive for a lot of people so don't expect them to sell too many units.

I am curious to reconfigure my 4 Atmos speakers for Auro3D, but need to get a disc, which blu-ray title would you recommend?

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
https://www.auro-3d.com/consumer/ seems to be the ones currently available. However most are already available in the US and UK either in Atmos or Dts:X. Importing would be the only way to get them, likely from Europe/Germany.

Trinnov, Datasat, etc.. support Auro because it is expected at those top end prices. They would support anything if it makes a sale.

W

wagrant

Audiophyte
You are right about that one. I'm not rich, but I'm crazy about surround sound movies. I just saved up to get the Marantz. If you were to contact Auro Technologies they will send you the demos. I have attached some info for you that will explain everything about the Auro 3D speaker configs. Thank You for posting with me, I really don't post much unless it's about Auro 3D. I enjoy it that much.

Attachments

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You are right about that one. I'm not rich, but I'm crazy about surround sound movies. I just saved up to get the Marantz. If you were to contact Auro Technologies they will send you the demos. I have attached some info for you that will explain everything about the Auro 3D speaker configs. Thank You for posting with me, I really don't post much unless it's about Auro 3D. I enjoy it that much.
No need to be rich, my cheap Denon can easily switch between Auro3D and Atmos. I just need an Auro3D movie to try.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Well different distribution deals across the world mean in the UK we miss out on a number of Atmos titles currently available in the US. We seem to score better with the Dts:X but those are far fewer than Atmos. We don't get any Auro releases. Do they turn up on UHD 4K discs? I am not aware of any.

I would have been happy if my Marantz or Yamaha supported Auro and I could have tried out the up mixer, but as for titles, from the site, which doesn't necessarily seem to be up to date, 3 titles for 2018 does not suggest a ringing endorsement.

You have it, it's setup enjoy. Don't worry about us Luddites struggling with our much inferior Atmos/Dts:X setup. :D

W

wagrant

Audiophyte
New Standards Simplify Distribution of Immersive Audio, Ensure Smooth and Consistent Playout on Various Immersive Sound Systems.
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Sept. 25, 2018 — SMPTE®, the organization whose standards work has supported a century of advances in entertainment technology and whose membership spans the globe, today announced the publication of new SMPTE ST 2098 standards for immersive audio. The Society has published ST 2098-1:2018, Immersive Audio Metadata; ST 2098-2:2018, Immersive Audio Bitstream Specification; and ST 2098-5:2018, D-Cinema Immersive Audio Channels and Soundfield Groups.

By supporting delivery of a standardized immersive audio bitstream within a single interoperable digital cinema package, the new SMPTE immersive audio standards simplify distribution while ensuring that cinemas can confidently play out immersive audio on their choice of compliant Immersive sound systems.

There should be 3 deliveries (Atmos, DTX and Auro 3D) on the movies coming out in the next few years, so everyone will be happy.....hopefully if it happens in our lifetime.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
New Standards Simplify Distribution of Immersive Audio, Ensure Smooth and Consistent Playout on Various Immersive Sound Systems.
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Sept. 25, 2018 — SMPTE®, the organization whose standards work has supported a century of advances in entertainment technology and whose membership spans the globe, today announced the publication of new SMPTE ST 2098 standards for immersive audio. The Society has published ST 2098-1:2018, Immersive Audio Metadata; ST 2098-2:2018, Immersive Audio Bitstream Specification; and ST 2098-5:2018, D-Cinema Immersive Audio Channels and Soundfield Groups.

By supporting delivery of a standardized immersive audio bitstream within a single interoperable digital cinema package, the new SMPTE immersive audio standards simplify distribution while ensuring that cinemas can confidently play out immersive audio on their choice of compliant Immersive sound systems.

There should be 3 deliveries (Atmos, DTX and Auro 3D) on the movies coming out in the next few years, so everyone will be happy.....hopefully if it happens in our lifetime.
Are you saying they would have all 3 on every disc. I am skeptical. :)

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I admire the optimism, but this makes zero difference. I guarantee everything out there now is already compliant with these proposals, it is how they are constructed, after the fact, in the first place. No format is guaranteed to succeed even if it is first to market.

Take a look at SDDS, Sony's Dynamic Digital Sound system, often seen in the movie credits. Around since 1993 until about 2013, with over 1400 movies and 6.5K theatres. Upto 8 channel and I believe the only company to ever produce home hardware to provide support for it was Sony, although I am not sure what home content there is/was.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Dynamic_Digital_Sound
https://web.archive.org/web/20130701055758/http://www.sdds.com/

Dts:X Pro will probably start to make an appearance in the home market. Dolby is likely are looking to revise Atmos at some point, but very few people will ever consider 32 channel setups. Most people are still at mono/stereo stage and consider Hi Def content to be on their 5" phone. Dts is looking to add a top layer, VOG and it is likely not a mono speaker. Signed up with IMAX and Denon this is could be the last chance saloon for Auro.:( Alas, this is a very select audience you are addressing. :)

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
What i find confusing is the amount of people that has upgraded to auro 3d and have basically only a demo disc to show for it. What have we spent our money on. I hope i am missing something because i see it as wasted money. Sorry guys but so far its not looking good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis