Audyssey Speaker Levels Issue

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
I just set up a Marantz AV7706 using XLR cables Emotiva Amp. Definitive Technology Speakers. Audyssey set all 7 of my speaker levels to -12db. Ran it again. Same thing. Levels on my subs were fine.
Marantz customer service. No help. Anyone had this problem? Solutions?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just set up a Marantz AV7706 using XLR cables Emotiva Amp. Definitive Technology Speakers. Audyssey set all 7 of my speaker levels to -12db. Ran it again. Same thing. Levels on my subs were fine.
Marantz customer service. No help. Anyone had this problem? Solutions?
It does that to set it to its reference level to make Dynamic Eq work. If you are not going to use Dynamic Eq, which I don't recommend, then you can adjust all levels upward by the same amount. However since it set your sub fine and all speakers are set to -12 db, you need to turn your sub volume down a lot and then recalibrate.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've never had a unit using Audyssey doing anything like that. That it set all trims to lowest level just seems to me to be indicating a fault somewhere. Have you run a microprocessor reset?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I've never had a unit using Audyssey doing anything like that. That it set all trims to lowest level just seems to me to be indicating a fault somewhere. Have you run a microprocessor reset?
I'm pretty sure he has his sub turned up too high before calibration. -12 is max cut on Audyssey. So Audyssey is trying to bring his speaker levels down to match his sub, but can not go lower than -12 db. He needs to turn the volume control on his sub way down and recalibrate.

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
I read where using RCA or Attenuators would help. Just don’t know how much attenuators might effect sound quality

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm pretty sure he has his sub turned up too high before calibration. -12 is max cut on Audyssey. So Audyssey is trying to bring his speaker levels down to match his sub, but can not go lower than -12 db. He needs to turn the volume control on his sub way down and recalibrate.
Audyssey measures subs separately in my own use, has that changed? The subs are set to a particular level to start, but mentions nothing special in what sub level he used during setup (assume he aimed at the normal 75dB target).

ps I have deliberately set sub levels at various points in setup to see if it affected speaker levels, it didn't.

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
Audyssey has a gage that tells you to bring sub levels down before calibration. So I did that

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you set the subs to the 75dB target level? What were the resulting sub trim levels?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Audyssey has a gage that tells you to bring sub levels down before calibration. So I did that
In that case there is a gain miss match between Your Marantz 7706 and your Emotiva power amps. I don't believe that the Emotiva has a gain/trim control. If it does then you need to turn down the input sensitivity. Your only other option is to build an attenuation network between your Marantz and Emotiva. Shure used to market a 10 db in line XLR attenuator. I don't know if they still do. Probably your best option is to use the unbalanced outputs and inputs. I bet that will solve it. The Marantz is standard professional balanced XLR output. Knowing Emotiva I bet that is out of standard spec. I have a low opinion of Emotiva gear.

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
In that case there is a gain miss match between Your Marantz 7706 and your Emotiva power amps. I don't believe that the Emotiva has a gain/trim control. If it does then you need to turn down the input sensitivity. Your only other option is to build an attenuation network between your Marantz and Emotiva. Shure used to market a 10 db in line XLR attenuator. I don't know if they still do. Probably your best option is to use the unbalanced outputs and inputs. I bet that will solve it. The Marantz is standard professional balanced XLR output. Knowing Emotiva I bet that is out of standard spec. I have a low opinion of Emotiva gear.
Do you know if the XLR attenuators will affect sound quality?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Do you know if the XLR attenuators will affect sound quality?
No they will not. I would use unbalanced connection though. Unless the distance between your Pre/pro and power amps is very long, certainly over 20' then there will be no quality loss using the unbalanced connection. I think the sensitivity of the balanced and unbalanced inputs of your Emotiva are the same and they should not be.

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
No they will not. I would use unbalanced connection though. Unless the distance between your Pre/pro and power amps is very long, certainly over 20' then there will be no quality loss using the unbalanced connection. I think the sensitivity of the balanced and unbalanced inputs of your Emotiva are the same and they should not be.
I was using the preouts on a Denon AVR with the Emotiva With no problem. Just switched to the Pre/pro with XLR and got the speaker level issue. Quite a bit louder using the XLR at the same volume level then the AVR. Cable runs are about 6 feet

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Please try the reset before buying something....I have used a variety of amps with a variety of units using Audyssey without any similar experience.....don't remember seeing someone report this issue particularly either.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was using the preouts on a Denon AVR with the Emotiva With no problem. Just switched to the Pre/pro with XLR and got the speaker level issue. Quite a bit louder using the XLR at the same volume level then the AVR. Cable runs are about 6 feet
As TLSGuy mentioned earlier, it is likely a gain related issue that can be dealt with but I would need to know the following information first.

- Model of the Emotiva amp
- Model of the DefTech speakers, or just the sensitivity specifications.
- Your seating distance.

Without the above information, everyone would be trying to help by making their own assumption of the root cause.

Note that if the Denon's pre out worked as expected, then it would work to if you use the Marantz RCA pre out for sure but it would nice to have the information I am asking then we will know for sure what the issue is with the XLR output. Also note that if your interconnects are less than 3 meters, then RCA outputs are just as good so that is a fall back solution regardless.

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
As TLSGuy mentioned earlier, it is likely a gain related issue that can be dealt with but I would need to know the following information first.

- Model of the Emotiva amp
- Model of the DefTech speakers, or just the sensitivity specifications.
- Your seating distance.

Without the above information, everyone would be trying to help by making their own assumption of the root cause.

Note that if the Denon's pre out worked as expected, then it would work to if you use the Marantz RCA pre out for sure but it would nice to have the information I am asking then we will know for sure what the issue is with the XLR output. Also note that if your interconnects are less than 3 meters, then RCA outputs are just as good so that is a fall back solution regardless.
Emotiva XPA7
DefTech
Mains bp7001sc. Center CLR 3000 surrounds BPX. Sensitivity 92
Seating about 9-10 feet

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I downloaded the manual and according to specs it would appear those amps have 29 dB gain for both RCA/XLR. If they are different, such as many other power amps, they would specify two numbers such as 29 dB for RCA and 23 dB for XLR, or 1.2 V RCA, 2.4 V XLR.

Marantz is one of those amps that have two different gain (or input sensitivity) such that the balanced to unbalanced input sensitivity of their power amps would be 2:1 (that is, 2.4V/1.2V, just an example), or gain ratio of 23 to 29 dB, and their preamps output would have a reverse ratio such that the balanced output of their preamps would be rated 2X that of the unbalanced output (example: 4V/2V, or 2.4V/1.2 V etc.)

Since you are using the balanced output of the AV7706, the Emotiva is getting 2X the voltage relative to that from the unbalanced output (RCA). That would represent a 6 dB difference.

The best/easiest way to solve this is by simply using the unbalance/RCA outputs of the 7706. Again, unless your interconnects are really long, like 4 meters, there is no need to use XLRs.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis