Audyssey killing my HT sound?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The FIR filters cause significant and deleterious phase shifts, that upset well phased speaker systems.
Please do a fact check on this (about FIR filters) before posting, keep in mind that coming from you, lots of forum members may take it as facts.;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
All I know is, Audyssey greatly improved my bass response. I would even go as far as saying night and day...

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
All I know is, Audyssey greatly improved my bass response. I would even go as far as saying night and day...
Similar for me in that the bass response is worse without XT32 (no app available, too old Denon), and I do like the Dynamic EQ as I usually listen fairly quiet.

That said, I like the sound of my Genelec monitors and sub (using Genelec GLM for calibration) better than my living room setup. Expensive with a new Genelec setup there :(

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Similar for me in that the bass response is worse without XT32 (no app available, too old Denon), and I do like the Dynamic EQ as I usually listen fairly quiet.

That said, I like the sound of my Genelec monitors and sub (using Genelec GLM for calibration) better than my living room setup. Expensive with a new Genelec setup there :(
Check my post above. I even brought receipts! :p

I dialed my bass in even better than that "after" chart, but I wanted to show what Audyssey can do by itself.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Check my post above. I even brought receipts! :p

I dialed my bass in even better than that "after" chart, but I wanted to show what Audyssey can do by itself.
It's the Genelec monitors that sounds better as such than my Canton speakers, though in my small office I'm sitting about 1m away from them so not directly comparable.

Genelec GLM does not have dynamic EQ or similar, but my RME ADI-2 DAC fs does and I like the way it's implemented. RME calls it Dynamic Loudness and is quite configurable.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Sorry I went back to my old Radio Shack SPL meter I leave XT32 to masses

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry I went back to my old Radio Shack SPL meter I leave XT32 to masses
The first part of an Audyssey calibration is to set levels and distance, and that can be used without having to enable XT32. It will be more much accurate that using your Radio Shack SPL meter, and far easier.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
The first part of an Audyssey calibration is to set levels and distance, and that can be used without having to enable XT32. It will be more much accurate that using your Radio Shack SPL meter, and far easier.
I will experiment a bit today with what you suggested thanks.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Okay everyone, Set-up your systems that sounds best to YOUR ears! Pretty simple???

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Okay everyone, Set-up your systems that sounds best to YOUR ears! Pretty simple???
Only for those who know what they like and know the options and what they can do with them. But ye, one size does not fit all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The quickest way to do this is just to place your XT32 mic in it's place and just calibrate the minimum times needed to complete it without moving the mic. You'll have to disable XT32 afterwards, though. Bass management is also available without XT32 enabled.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
The quickest way to do this is just to place your XT32 mic in it's place and just calibrate the minimum times needed to complete it without moving the mic. You'll have to disable XT32 afterwards, though. Bass management is also available without XT32 enabled.
Ye but the auto setup is not very good at setting ‘large’/‘small’ and crossovers.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Ye but the auto setup is not very good at setting ‘large’/‘small’ and crossovers.

True, but I always set the speakers to small with the crossover I want.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's what I do, and it definitely helps when you can do measurements. Ears alone will only get you so far. There can me any number of reasons it can sound "off" and a calibrated mic can quickly zero in on it. As you can see in my charts above there was a huge improvement after running Audyssey that is also clearly audible.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What he's saying is, run Audyssey to let it set your distances and levels, then you can just turn it off. That disables any room correction but still keeps distances and levels. I think @Trell is right that Audyssey will likely be more accurate than using a ratshack meter. Especially distances. Those settings have more to do with timing and phase than what's actually measured with a ruler. Especially for subwoofers. If the timing is off between speakers one way to deal with it is adjusting distances.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

That has to do with manufacturers settings not Audyssey, but yes I agree. The large/small setting and crossovers usually need adjusting afterwards. There's definitely a tendency to call speakers large or full range and set a lower than recommended crossover. I change those too.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
That has to do with manufacturers settings not Audyssey, but yes I agree. The large/small setting and crossovers usually need adjusting afterwards. There's definitely a tendency to call speakers large or full range and set a lower than recommended crossover. I change those too.
Ye thats why i wrote auto setup and not audyssey.

But it makes me feel good that even my bookshelf surrounds have been called large a couple of times :D they arent small but still lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I will add too, how you position your mic during setup makes a difference. The closer to the pattern you stay the better job it seems to do for me. I even tighten it up a little bit. I follow the pattern with a little less distance in between mic positions than 2 feet, ~18" to 20", ear height, and I use all 8 measurements.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
But it makes me feel good that even my bookshelf surrounds have been called large a couple of times :D they arent small but still lol.
@lovinthehd has a running joke about manufacturers doing it on purpose to make people feel good about their speakers qualifying for "large"... lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis