Audyssey killing my HT sound?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So now I'm looking at this one, but it doesn't look like the end articulates the way you're describing.

@KEW do you have a link for one, the correct nomenclature or a brand?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So now I'm looking at this one, but it doesn't look like the end articulates the way you're describing.

@KEW do you have a link for one, the correct nomenclature or a brand?
The one you linked should work fine!

The accessory on the top right is the standard mic holder with "wrist" I was thinking of.
I am not familiar with the "hand clamp" type holder for mic.
I am pretty sure you could mount either at the end of the boom, and in this picture, it looks like there might be a screw mount like the Audyssey mic uses attaching the "clamp" to the boom?! If so you could probably move that to the top of teh center post for Audyssey if it proved difficult to adapt the boom for Audyssey.
It looks like this one would give you the flexibility you want (but I'm no expert on this)!
When @WaynePflughaupt happens back to the forum, he'd probably be better able to confirm/correct me!
@ryanosaur is probably much more familiar with this stuff as well!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I bought this little thing from amazon to allow me to attach the audyssey mic or my spl meter to the mic stand:

I just use the regular amazon basics boom mic stand, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Tapatalk is pissing me off! :/

Sent from a handheld device using a silly little app.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Personally I wouldn't call it "Pure Science".

We are talking about speakers and subwoofers, not anything truly important.

I do appreciate the "methodologies" and "studies".

And if any of the "preference" studies were done using randomized and untrained/unbiased people, that's great.

I just get turned-off reading about how Harman would like to "train" people on how to "critically" listen, which makes me wonder if they were doing that for all their "studies".

We can only speculate. But it does cast a few doubts about their "studies" and their "science".

BTW, I do prefer speakers with good measurements. Just don't tell me how I should be critically listening, watching, eating or drinking. :D
Would you agree that some trained listening is necessary so that a perspective listener would know what he's being asked to listen for? For example, the gentlemen you responded to suggested the following:

"I believe that group delay at low frequencies, of extreme enough, is audible,"

Without training on what to listen for, how would any would be listener know exactly what to listen for to make a finding or to substantiate was is being claimed above?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The one you linked should work fine!

The accessory on the top right is the standard mic holder with "wrist" I was thinking of.
I am not familiar with the "hand clamp" type holder for mic.
I am pretty sure you could mount either at the end of the boom, and in this picture, it looks like there might be a screw mount like the Audyssey mic uses attaching the "clamp" to the boom?! If so you could probably move that to the top of teh center post for Audyssey if it proved difficult to adapt the boom for Audyssey.
It looks like this one would give you the flexibility you want (but I'm no expert on this)!
When @WaynePflughaupt happens back to the forum, he'd probably be better able to confirm/correct me!
@ryanosaur is probably much more familiar with this stuff as well!
The more I see it, the more I like and see how it could work perfectly. I'll see if it's at Walmart tomorrow, if not I may order.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you very much Ryan and Kew. I managed to sort your posts and ordered the boom stand and the adapter you linked. The stand was one the ones I had picked earlier. I'm all set for some fall weather now!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Would you agree that some trained listening is necessary so that a perspective listener would know what he's being asked to listen for? For example, the gentlemen you responded to suggested the following:

"I believe that group delay at low frequencies, of extreme enough, is audible,"

Without training on what to listen for, how would any would be listener know exactly what to listen for to make a finding or to substantiate was is being claimed above?
Would you know if you love the taste of a steak? Or do you need someone to teach you?

Would you know if you love the taste of a drink? Or do you need someone to teach you?

Would you know what sound you prefer? Do you know what sounds good to you?

I just want to know which speaker YOU like better. No college degrees needed. No training needed. Just tell me what YOU PREFER.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Would you know if you love the taste of a steak? Or do you need someone to teach you?

Would you know if you love the taste of a drink? Or do you need someone to teach you?

I just want to know which speaker YOU like better. No college degrees needed. No training needed. Just tell me what YOU PREFER.
You know how enthusiast are, we look for problems to justify a reason to upgrade. We're never truly happy with even our preference, something must be wrong. :)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Also, when it comes to group delay, I've always been bias towards sealed subs over ported. I never wanted a slow, bloated, ported subs because of it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Steak Au Poivre, please, mid rare, with a fruity CA Syrah... or perhaps a good Chateauneuf-du-Pape. And I would enjoy eating whilst I listen to a Ravel orchestration of Pictures at an Exhibition.

I would prefer that my electronics produce a smooth chocolatey sound reminiscent of malted fudge with a chewy consistency and an expansive soundstage. I do prefer a wide dispersion speaker with velvety-warm characteristics. (So please, no KEF speakers.) Also, since I can hear the cables hum, most times, please elevate them on adamantium posts wrapped in french vanilla cream to help isolate them from the harmonic interference of the banal flooring. Oh. and each cable elevator will require a cherry on top.

Pretty please.

:p

:cool:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Steak Au Poivre, please, mid rare, with a fruity CA Syrah... or perhaps a good Chateauneuf-du-Pape. And I would enjoy eating whilst I listen to a Ravel orchestration of Pictures at an Exhibition.

I would prefer that my electronics produce a smooth chocolatey sound reminiscent of malted fudge with a chewy consistency and an expansive soundstage. I do prefer a wide dispersion speaker with velvety-warm characteristics. (So please, no KEF speakers.) Also, since I can hear the cables hum, most times, please elevate them on adamantium posts wrapped in french vanilla cream to help isolate them from the harmonic interference of the banal flooring. Oh. and each cable elevator will require a cherry on top.

Pretty please.

:p

:cool:
So, you want chocolate gum and want to blow bubbles with it, right? If the cables hum, teach them the words

If you don't like banal flooring, try Maple or Oak.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Steak Au Poivre, please, mid rare, with a fruity CA Syrah
What is your favorite steak Ryan? I was a butcher for 30 years and I know my proteins. I was actually going to tackle Steak Au Poivre and decided something different, but Au Poivre looks like something I'd really like.

I'm not a bad home cook. I know a little technique and have some knife skills, but the butcher block is where I really shine. I love to cook tho.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You know how enthusiast are, we look for problems to justify a reason to upgrade. We're never truly happy with even our preference, something must be wrong. :)
I think it's perfectly peachy upgrading whenever we feel like it. We don't need a reason to buy the audio equipment we want with our money. We deserve it, right?

We just don't need anyone telling us how to listen and what is suppose to be "good sound"; just like we don't need anyone telling us what a good steak should taste like. :D

I think all they were doing is causing more BIAS.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is your favorite steak Ryan? I was a butcher for 30 years and I know my proteins.
What's a good steak that doesn't cost too much for cheap people? :D

Which stores have the better steaks, Sam's or Costco? :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not 30 years in, but I put some butcher time in at one of the restaurants I cooked in while doing Fine Dining in SF. ;) Mostly breaking poultry (duck, guinea hen, squab, quail), salmon and something like branzini or stripe bass, psmos, dry aged lamb saddles, cervena venison saddles... good times!
I’m a pretty simple guy when it comes to meat: when I’m at my most carniverous, ribeye with a good cap muscle! Otherwise, hanger. I used to grind my own meat at one kitchen I was chef at, mixture of chuck and sirloin mostly with brisket fat added in to get me to about 35% fat (pre-seasoned and cured overnight in the walk-in before grinding). A lot of work but a seriously delicious patty!
Whenever I do a stew, I prefer getting shanks lamb or beef. When cooked properly, the meat there is just special... especially considering all the extra collagen/gelatin. :) (Try chili con carne with beef shank and veal stock with some demi. Make your own spice blend, too. I would serve that with a masa griddlecake I would make from a Gordita recipe.)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What's a good steak that doesn't cost too much for cheap people? :D

Which stores have the better steaks, Sam's or Costco? :D
Flat iron (aka top blade) steaks are good, but now everyone knows it now so they've gone up in price. Restaurants started popularizing them and people started asking for them. Same thing happened with tri tips.

Chuck eye steak (or spencer steak) is the eye from the first cut of a chuck roast are actually the tail end of the ribeye. The chuck and rib are 2 primal cuts connected together in a whole quarter of beef. All part of a section of muscle and bone that flow from the shoulders down the back into the sirloin on a whole side. I've seen a few that look just like ribeyes and they're good, cheap steaks.

Best advice is to keep an eye out for sales on bone in NY strips, ribeyes and chuck roasts. When chuck roasts are on sale there will be more chuck eyes to merchandise so you're chances of finding a good pack are better. Big chains do have some pretty good sales on different cuts. You gotta keep an eye on the paper tho.

I would guess Costco has better steaks, but that's based on Sam's Club being owned by Walmart and I've seen the meat at Walmart...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not 30 years in, but I put some butcher time in at one of the restaurants I cooked in while doing Fine Dining in SF. ;) Mostly breaking poultry (duck, guinea hen, squab, quail),salmon and something like branzini or stripe bass, psmos, dry aged lamb saddles, cervena venison saddles... good times!
I’m a pretty simple guy when it comes to meat: when I’m at my most carniverous, ribeye with a good cap muscle! Otherwise, hanger. I used to grind my own meat at one kitchen I was chef at, mixture of chuck and sirloin mostly with brisket fat added in to get me to about 35% fat (pre-seasoned and cured overnight in the walk-in before grinding). A lot of work but a seriously delicious patty!
Whenever I do a stew, I prefer getting shanks lamb or beef. When cooked properly, the meat there is just special... especially considering all the extra collagen/gelatin. :) (Try chili con carne with beef shank and veal stock with some demi. Make your own spice blend, too. I would serve that with a masa griddlecake I would make from a Gordita recipe.)
You and I share the same taste in steak. I have a nicely seasoned iron skillet and usually do olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper then try to get a nice crust seared on it and finish to mid-rare in the oven while I make a pan sauce. I like my ribeyes at least 1 1/2" thick.

*Edit: and yes, a ribeye from the large end with a nice cap on it. That's one of the best tasting, most tender cuts on the whole cow! That and hanger steaks too. I know butchers who don't know what a hanger steak is!

My dad owned a slaughter house and expanded into mom n pop/circle k type thing with smoke houses and a fancy meat department. We cured and smoked everything and took the product from hoof to package. (Meat was all federally inspected) It was hard work, but I feel I always had a unique edge among my peers in the grocery retail business. I've always been proud of that.

I'll stop hijacking Het's thread now, lol. I look forward to future conversations with you tho Ryan. We share not the same, but some similar backgrounds. I've seen you post about cooking a few times. I'm an amateur in the cooking realm, but I love learning new recipes and techniques.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis