Audyssey in x4500h not working

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
No, for better results you should just load your favorite curve back to the AVR. After that you should be able to change your front left/right crossover. Again, that's the beauty of using the App. Until you have a replacement mic you just can't run Audyssey again, no big deal right.. Surely you can stop fooling around with Audyssey at least for a few weeks can't you?:D
Honestly the best curve I have is the last pics I sent you where I didn’t even need to cut anything. That was just from changing my phase on my rear sub to 0, running audyssey then adding some distance to my subs. Hopefully Best Buy will lend me a mic but I’m not optimistic about that

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
When you have a program playing, do you hear anything from the center channel speaker? If not, found out why.
I’m assuming it’s my mic, my Yamaha mic worked when I tried it. That’s what I’ve been doing

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I’m assuming it’s my mic, my Yamaha mic worked when I tried it. That’s what I’ve been doing
I don't care about the mic- do YOU hear sound from the center speaker? That's all that matters, at the moment. If the mic 'heard' the left front speaker, it should 'hear' the rest. If you run the test and hear nothing from the center speaker, test the speaker with the wires only connected to the speaker- you can use a AA or AAA battery- hold one wire on one battery terminal and tap the other wire on the remaining terminal. You should hear a scratchy tapping sound if it's working. DO NOT hold the wires on the battery terminals!!!!!!!!!!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't care about the mic- do YOU hear sound from the center speaker? That's all that matters, at the moment. If the mic 'heard' the left front speaker, it should 'hear' the rest. If you run the test and hear nothing from the center speaker, test the speaker with the wires only connected to the speaker- you can use a AA or AAA battery- hold one wire on one battery terminal and tap the other wire on the remaining terminal. You should hear a scratchy tapping sound if it's working. DO NOT hold the wires on the battery terminals!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed, that's why I suggested that his mic and/or the long cable might have developed an intermittent fault, such as being pinched in some location(s), or a bad connections developed somewhere along the line, such as the termination point at the mic end, the jack plug...etc..

highfigh

highfigh

Agreed, that's why I suggested that his mic and/or the long cable might have developed an intermittent fault, such as being pinched in some location(s), or a bad connections developed somewhere along the line, such as the termination point at the mic end, the jack plug...etc..
I carry a few mics in my van, mostly for Denon/Marantz, and don't take good care of them. Never had a problem. OTOH, I also carry the long 3.5mm cable in my computer bag so it won't be damaged but I have others, if needed. I would be more likely to believe that the cable has three conductors and a TRS plug that doesn't seat well or isn't plugged in completely than it being a bad mic.

It's easy enough to find out if the mic is bad- connect it to a headphone jack on a phone/tablet/computer with the volume set low while playing music, then increasing the level and holding the mic to your ear.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, I’m hearing dialogue coming out of my center
OK, NOW check the mic connection to the AVR and if you used an extension, make sure that's working.

If it still doesn't work, go through the menu and repeat the speaker setup. If that doesn't help, you may need to do a hard reset.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
OK, NOW check the mic connection to the AVR and if you used an extension, make sure that's working.

If it still doesn't work, go through the menu and repeat the speaker setup. If that doesn't help, you may need to do a hard reset.
I honestly appreciate you trying to help me with this, I worked last night and have not been able to fall asleep this morning yet. I need to get some sleep because I go back in tonight, I’ll have to get back with you later today

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I honestly appreciate you trying to help me with this, I worked last night and have not been able to fall asleep this morning yet. I need to get some sleep because I go back in tonight, I’ll have to get back with you later today
Your mic is bad. I had a DOA mic with my Marantz 7705. It took me well over a year to get a replacement. Encompass who handle Denon/Marantz parts are an incompetent bunch of liars. I bought mine from a B & M dealer I have dealt with for forty years or more. They were exasperated as well. It seems these bad mics are a common problem, and virtually unobtainable. Anyhow I have a number of mics from my other pre/pros. So that did fine for levels and distance. Luckily I do not use Audyssey for any Eq of any type. Fortunately I have my own methods which are far superior to Audyssey.

Anyhow the rep to my B & M dealer finally dropped of a bunch of mics, with my dealer. He sent me two FOC. I have not used them yet, but sometime out of curiosity I will to see what sort of a pigs foot Audyssey makes of my system.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Your mic is bad. I had a DOA mic with my Marantz 7705. It took me well over a year to get a replacement. Encompass who handle Denon/Marantz parts are an incompetent bunch of liars. I bought mine from a B & M dealer I have dealt with for forty years or more. They were exasperated as well. It seems these bad mics are a common problem, and virtually unobtainable. Anyhow I have a number of mics from my other pre/pros. So that did fine for levels and distance. Luckily I do not use Audyssey for any Eq of any type. Fortunately I have my own methods which are far superior to Audyssey.

Anyhow the rep to my B & M dealer finally dropped of a bunch of mics, with my dealer. He sent me two FOC. I have not used them yet, but sometime out of curiosity I will to see what sort of a pigs foot Audyssey makes of my system.
Well that was my first thought when this happened Sunday. Then I was thinking maybe a software issue with audyssey but I tried my Yamaha mic and it worked but obviously different mic from the audyssey, it worked though. This is my first experience with a denon and I like the avr but customer service is completely terrible. I had to call right at 10 this morning to get ahold of someone, any later which I’ve tried last couple days, good luck trying to talk to someone and on top of that it’s broken English I’m listening to so I’m guessing the person isn’t even in the US. Anyways I was told a replacement is on its way free of charge in 23 days but we’ll see how long it actually takes. I got ahold of a rep I know and he’s going to try and get me one I can borrow. I use the app with ratbuddyssey and rew, what are you using?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Expecting much from an avr brands' customer service is.....hopeful in the best of times, let alone covid. If the Yamaha mic worked, seems a different Audyssey mic has a good shot. I didn't even think of that as mine have all been trouble free.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well that was my first thought when this happened Sunday. Then I was thinking maybe a software issue with audyssey but I tried my Yamaha mic and it worked but obviously different mic from the audyssey, it worked though. This is my first experience with a denon and I like the avr but customer service is completely terrible. I had to call right at 10 this morning to get ahold of someone, any later which I’ve tried last couple days, good luck trying to talk to someone and on top of that it’s broken English I’m listening to so I’m guessing the person isn’t even in the US. Anyways I was told a replacement is on its way free of charge in 23 days but we’ll see how long it actually takes. I got ahold of a rep I know and he’s going to try and get me one I can borrow. I use the app with ratbuddyssey and rew, what are you using?
It is not generally applicable. But the main issue is that most speakers are biamped or triamped, and not only that all the front three and rear backs have continuously variable baffle step compensation and the surrounds have some degree of control over this. This allows the speakers to be optimized to their location in the room. I use Omni Mic and its software to get good speaker measurements and it can also be used to measure room responses.
I have a very poor opinion of Audyssey. That does not produce optimal results on my rigs. I designed all the speakers in all of my three systems.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
The thing I don’t get is after I ran audyssey using Yamaha mic, I go back in to change my crossovers and it has my front speakers grayed out as full band but I’m able to individually change the rest. So I had to switch to “all” in speaker selection so everything is at 80hz. I get I’m going to get different results with the Yamaha mic but I don’t understand why it’s doing that to my front speakers. I’m assuming it’s just the mic? Or something going on with audyssey software? Idk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Weird on the full band/large forced setting just because of mic.....is this with LFE or LFE+Main setting?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
But I’ll make sure when I get home from work but I’m pretty sure it was set to lfe and 120hz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But I’ll make sure when I get home from work but I’m pretty sure it was set to lfe and 120hz
"and" 120Hz? That might be the LPF of LFE setting? Would be separate from the LFE vs LFE+Main setting.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Weird on the full band/large forced setting just because of mic.....is this with LFE or LFE+Main setting?
You think it’s just the mic forcing my fronts to be full band or something going on in the audyssey software?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You think it’s just the mic forcing my fronts to be full band or something going on in the audyssey software?
Just exploring settings/results....don't know why pre-measurement/Audyssey routine that would be dictated at all that I could think of.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis