audyssey flat or reference, subwoofer

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
for music and movies i use audyssey flat because supposedly reference rolls off the highs. i like treble.

but wondering if using flat vs reference affects the subwoofer.

i was under the impression it affects only the speakers.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From everything I've ever seen just the very high frequencies are rolled off a bit in Audyssey reference (movie) mode vs flat (music).

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
From everything I've ever seen just the very high frequencies are rolled off a bit in Audyssey reference (movie) mode vs flat (music).
but what about the subwoofer? plays the same in both modes? no changes?

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
for music and movies i use audyssey flat because supposedly reference rolls off the highs. i like treble.

but wondering if using flat vs reference affects the subwoofer.

i was under the impression it affects only the speakers.
IIRC Dr. Mark recommended not using Audyssey flat due to the fact that in real sounds there is a natural roll off and that flat does not mimic what happens to sound in real life. I could be misquoting him, but his explanation was that the roll off is natural and supposed to happen as you move further away from the source of the sound.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
IIRC Dr. Mark recommended not using Audyssey flat due to the fact that in real sounds there is a natural roll off and that flat does not mimic what happens to sound in real life. I could be misquoting him, but his explanation was that the roll off is natural and supposed to happen as you move further away from the source of the sound.
That is correct, in principle as we don't listen to music in an anechoic chamber.:D How well Audyssey implements flat we don't know, so unless in a small room it is better to use reference, that is supposed to be more natural with less EQ than the "flat" setting.

Last edited:
B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
its an 11x11 bedroom. i settled on flat but here i go again

J

jkwutvk

Audiophyte
As other have said, flat doesn't effect the subwoofer just the upper frequency range of the speakers. I'm aware of the reasoning and recommendations not to use flat but I prefer it.

The roll off may technically be more accurate using reference but I prefer more lively upper end that flat brings.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I guess you still want more treble? Highs like sssssssss?(that’s a long standing joke, sorry)
Can you find the tone controls and bump the treble up?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As other have said, flat doesn't effect the subwoofer just the upper frequency range of the speakers. I'm aware of the reasoning and recommendations not to use flat but I prefer it.

The roll off may technically be more accurate using reference but I prefer more lively upper end that flat brings.
I bet in an 11X11' room the difference will be negligible anyway.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
I guess you still want more treble? Highs like sssssssss?(that’s a long standing joke, sorry)
Can you find the tone controls and bump the treble up?
no i just dont want the treble of the speakers messed with.
these are klipsch rp280s, love the tweeters, and vtf2 mk5 sub

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
for a room of this size for music only. which tuning option on the subwoofer do you suggest i use in stereo mode? i use eq2 one port open. but in direct i feel i get more bass.
i use audyssey bypass, speakers set to small and 80 crossovers.

just called hsu
they suggested
2 ports open
eq2
q control 0.3

the bass is stronger in direct mode with just the towers.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
no i just dont want the treble of the speakers messed with.
What exactly do you mean? I was thinking you wanted more treble so I was wondering if Audyssey rolled off the highs too much that could bring it back up. I see no you’re using Audyssey bypass though...
for a room of this size for music only. which tuning option on the subwoofer do you suggest i use in stereo mode? i use eq2 one port open. but in direct i feel i get more bass.

just called hsu
they suggested
2 ports open
eq2
q control 0.3

I would probably use 2 ports open also, but I can’t believe there’s more bass in Direct than with the sub. Something has to be wrong somewhere.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
i want the treble natural i guess.
my bad, im switching between bypass and flat.
the sub in movies is pretty good. also its better than my old bic f12, but for some reason i think the bic rumbled more. sounded stronger. pounded
i have to say, ithe hsu is not as big of a step up that i thought it would be

these towers dig down to 32. and do put out stronger bass when in direct mode, rather than stereo with sub working

im thinking of driving it to hsu so they can have a look, 45 minute drive grr.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you want the sound of your L/R speakers without eq from Audyssey, then Bypass L/R is your best bet. The others, flat and reference, will eq the L/R speakers (even the highs with flat).

ps As to your expectations of the sub, don't know what you're basing expectations on particularly....measurements would tell you more....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

That could be because you are getting some cancellation in the low and mid bass between 60-200 Hz. Crossovers are not brick walls, if set at 80 Hz, there will still be significant response below 80 Hz. Cancellation effect is mostly in the lower frequency range, but I think the mid bass band could be affected too just not as much. It just all add up.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
That could be because you are getting some cancellation in the low and mid bass between 60-200 Hz. Crossovers are not brick walls, if set at 80 Hz, there will still be significant response below 80 Hz. Cancellation effect is mostly in the lower frequency range, but I think the mid bass band could be affected too just not as much. It just all add up.
well maybe i should rerun audyssey.

first time i ran it with sub on eq1, one port open.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
well maybe i should rerun audyssey.

first time i ran it with sub on eq1, one port open.
That should help, in theory, after that you can try Audyssey bypass again to see if things improved. If not, you may want to try some manual adjustment of the subwoofer's phase.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis