Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Midrange compensation. You can turn it off by speaker curve in the app. I did. It appears to be a preset 4dB, low Q dip centered at 2k. Not really sure what its purpose is, but I want it flat.

Edit: Article from the man himself is here: https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347863-Midrange-Compensation

I may have to try it with and without this dip.
I think Dr. Kyriakakis has finally accepted the possibility that a lot of people can benefit from removing that intentional dip, depending on their room acoustic environment and their personal preference.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's an excerpt from the page Blue Dude linked:

"So, we have this implemented in the Audyssey target curve. With MultEQ Pro you can choose to turn it off, but we don't recommend it. This notion was observed 40 years ago by BBC speaker designers in their studio monitors. They designed their speakers with this "BBC dip" intentionally in the speaker response."

Does this mean that dip is turning my Ultras into B&W speakers? If you own a set of speakers designed with the "BBC dip" won't the compensation exaggerate the effect? Or is it accounted for with the measurements taken with the mic?

I have significant hearing loss also, so this dip might be detrimental for me. The difference is subtle enough that it's hard to tell though. I can't really A/B it because I have to upload the different profiles from my tablet and that takes a minute. Then I have to go back through and adjust the crossovers and 1 or 2 other things to match the settings I like.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just uploaded this curve.

Screenshot_2017-06-08-08-26-31-1920x1200.png

Again, it's hard to notice a difference with so much time in between switching, but I do think I like the compensation off better.

Do those roll off points at either end start a little soon? it looks like there's some heavy tapering there.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just uploaded this curve.

View attachment 21180

Again, it's hard to notice a difference with so much time in between switching, but I do think I like the compensation off better.

Do those roll off points at either end start a little soon? it looks like there's some heavy tapering there.
If you like compensation off better, even if you only think it is better, then you should turn it off.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you like compensation off better, even if you only think it is better, then you should turn it off.
Heh. That's the thing. Is it really better..? :p

With at least a full minute in between uploading the curves it's near impossible to say for sure, but for now I'm convinced I like it better without the compensation. I left it that way.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know what that is. If it is about using REW with the Umik-1 mic that you have ordered, as long as you use HDMI output you don't need to worry about your sound card. You do need to download the mic cal file.

Calibration file download:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1
My package just showed up! It's a day early! I'm gonna get started with that download and go from there. I'll probably have a slew of dumb questions...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm... 0° or 90°? That is the question! I guess I'll go with 90 first. MiniDSP did give me 2 files for the mic. I think the one with "deg"at the end is the one I need? My head is spinning right now, but I think I'm getting it sorted.

*Edit: Yeah, duh. It says "90deg" at the end. I'm gonna get something going here. if I should be taking individual 0° measurements instead of 90, feel free to tell me. I'm brand new to this. I'm gonna try to start with just a full sweep.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm... 0° or 90°? That is the question! I guess I'll go with 90 first. MiniDSP did give me 2 files for the mic. I think the one with "deg"at the end is the one I need? My head is spinning right now, but I think I'm getting it sorted.

*Edit: Yeah, duh. It says "90deg" at the end. I'm gonna get something going here. if I should be taking individual 0° measurements instead of 90, feel free to tell me. I'm brand new to this. I'm gonna try to start with just a full sweep.
IIRC, if you buy from mindsp.com, the cal file you download from their site should be for "straight".

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-setup-with-rew

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
IIRC, if you buy from mindsp.com, the cal file you download from their site should be for "straight".

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-setup-with-rew
I got 2 files. One with a number for a title and one with the same number with "90deg" at the end.

I'm having problems with my laptop seeing the mic. It was built before win 10 but it is updated to it. I just plugged into my wife's lappy and it sees it right away. She's gonna throw a fit if I hog up her laptop all night...

I got REW downloaded, then ASIO4ALL and installed both. I found a good guide to walk me through setup here. I'd really like to find a way to make this work with the older lappy, but I can deal with one night of abuse to get this going on my wife's if that's the only choice.

If I can at least get things calibrated and ready to go tonight I have all morning tomorrow to take measurements.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From this page

Which calibration file should I use and where to point the UMIK-1?
We provide two calibration files to be used depending on your application.

- For stereo system (e.g. 2ch dirac live, single speaker measurement), use the 0deg file and point the UMIK-1 at the speakers
- For multichannel system (E.g. 5.1/7.1) or a surround application where multiple speakers are spreadout around the room, use the 90deg file and point the UMIK-1 at the ceiling.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Omg. I finally got something! You guys weren't kidding about a learning curve. Sheesh. I'm done for tonight, but I did get a sweep of my subwoofers in. Still lots to figure out and I believe some more downloads, but at least I got this tonight. I'm gonna start with a fresh head tomorrow.

sub graph.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
From this page

Which calibration file should I use and where to point the UMIK-1?
We provide two calibration files to be used depending on your application.

- For stereo system (e.g. 2ch dirac live, single speaker measurement), use the 0deg file and point the UMIK-1 at the speakers
- For multichannel system (E.g. 5.1/7.1) or a surround application where multiple speakers are spreadout around the room, use the 90deg file and point the UMIK-1 at the ceiling.
Boy, did I spend a lot of time going to that page...

I went with the 90deg file for that measurement above. Struggling with getting my old lappy to even see the mic wasted a lot of time for me. I ended up using my wife's. I'll have it all morning tomorrow too so I'll get right back at it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I went with the 90deg file for that measurement above. Struggling with getting my old lappy to even see the mic wasted a lot of time for me. I ended up using my wife's. I'll have it all morning tomorrow too so I'll get right back at it.
You are doing great so far!!

You should use the 0 degree file and point the mic straight to the speakers/subs if that's what you are measuring. The 90 deg is for Dirac Live applications, otherwise for surround system.

If you want to do the sweep for all speakers firing at the same time then use the 90 deg and point the mic to the ceiling.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Did you try the other USB ports? on old laptops that trick works sometimes.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you try the other USB ports? on old laptops that trick works sometimes.
I did. And boy was it frustrating. I'm gonna reboot and see if it'll work with the old one again. If not I'm stuck using my wife's. Funny enough, she only has that laptop because I bribed her into getting my Ultras last year. :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You are doing great so far!!

You should use the 0 degree file and point the mic straight to the speakers/subs if that's what you are measuring. The 90 deg is for Dirac Live applications, otherwise for surround system.

If you want to do the sweep for all speakers firing at the same time then use the 90 deg and point the mic to the ceiling.
Okey dokey. I'll load the other file for calibration and go with 0° measurements. I assumed since I was using a 10 - 200 Hz sweep for bass that 90° would work.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Okey dokey. I'll load the other file for calibration and go with 0° measurements. I assumed since I was using a 10 - 200 Hz sweep for bass that 90° would work.
If you are only concerned about the low end such as 10-200 or even up to 1,000 Hz, both files should work. The difference between the two calibration files are in the higher frequencies. For 10-200 Hz, pointing the mic up or straight likely won't make much difference but you can try both and let us know the results.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The graphs taken by the App do not show the scale, I bet if you put them side by side with those taken by REW/Umik-1, equalize the scales, they will look pretty close but I have no doubt REW/Umik-1's are more accurate. To do a fair comparison, you obviously have to put the Mics in the exact same location.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The graphs taken by the App do not show the scale, I bet if you put them side by side with those taken by REW/Umik-1, equalize the scales, they will look pretty close but I have no doubt REW/Umik-1's are more accurate. To do a fair comparison, you obviously have to put the Mics in the exact same location.
Yep. Usually you want a 60db window for REW. I sweep from 10-200. 45-105db.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And thanks for the encouragement Peng. I didn't feel like I was doing great. I had 10 tabs open last night, flipping back and forth between them. Is there one specific guide I can go to instead of a whole page of links?

Right now I'm trying to take measurements and I can't seem to get it quite right. I can generate a tone with "generator" that's pretty loud, but it's not registering the levels. That's all from the generator.

When I go to preferences I'm able to select hd stereo input 1 for the umik and I'm able to select output "display audio 1.4" which is my sub channel, but I get no tone at all when I hit "check levels". I'm getting really frustrated.

*Edit: The mic is working on the old lappy for some reason, so that was one thing I made headway on so far this morning.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis