Audioquest v. Monprice Comparison

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
While they may make a serviceable cable, and you don't mind not getting the fairy dust as they apply to their pricier offerings, I can't stand the thought of supporting a company like Audioquest what with all the bullshit/fairy dust they sell.
Which I have found to be very true. I don't mind buying audioquest cables because they do build quality stuff. I have had no issues over the years I have been using them and I can't say that about hardly any other brands except Cardos and Kimber Kable which also make great quality cables. Those are the only 3 top cable companies I will use anymore in my system. But I will not buy their top end cables as I have found no benefits in my systems over the years climbing those ladders of quality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which I have found to be very true. I don't mind buying audioquest cables because they do build quality stuff. I have had no issues over the years I have been using them and I can't say that about hardly any other brands except Cardos and Kimber Kable which also make great quality cables. Those are the only 3 top cable companies I will use anymore in my system. But I will not buy their top end cables as I have found no benefits in my systems over the years climbing those ladders of quality.
You've limited yourself just to these snake oil sellers? You think they have the market cornered on well-made? I wonder how much of the manufacturing process is actually in house, too.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
You've limited yourself just to these snake oil sellers? You think they have the market cornered on well-made? I wonder how much of the manufacturing process is actually in house, too.
Did you not read my last reply?

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I don't support anyone or any one brand. I use what I feel is right for my system. I'm sure you selected all the cables in your system for your personal needs. I don't see any reason to call my cables snake oil.
Let me say it again. I've been into this hobby for decades. It started for me in the 70's with Records and 8 tracks. Then in the 80's with Dolby surround VHS tapes and laser Disc. I also happen to be a custom In home Audio Video professional with over 20 years of professional experience and a Musician since 1979. I think I know a thing or 2 about cables in a studio or a home theater or a full home automation system.
I have tried just about every single wire company out there you can name and not just one pair or kind. I've been up and down their lines. If you didn't read my thread as I think you did not properly I don't think high end cables make any difference once you achieve the job they need to perform. There is no fairy dust or snake oil I'm into for any reason. I went down that path decades ago and realized for myself and learning from top engineer's in the business about cables what they do , how they react and why high end cables don't make any performance differences once the actual spec or requirements are met.
The only other reason to have higher end cables is for shielding interference EMI and RF rejection. I don't give a crap about the name brand on the cable. I'm the only one who sees them unless you pull out my rack or look at the cables going to my main channel speakers which are floor standing Definitive Technology Mythos ST Powered Towers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't support anyone or any one brand. I use what I feel is right for my system. I'm sure you selected all the cables in your system for your personal needs. I don't see any reason to call my cables snake oil.
Let me say it again. I've been into this hobby for decades. It started for me in the 70's with Records and 8 tracks. Then in the 80's with Dolby surround VHS tapes and laser Disc. I also happen to be a custom In home Audio Video professional with over 20 years of professional experience and a Musician since 1979. I think I know a thing or 2 about cables in a studio or a home theater or a full home automation system.
I have tried just about every single wire company out there you can name and not just one pair or kind. I've been up and down their lines. If you didn't read my thread as I think you did not properly I don't think high end cables make any difference once you achieve the job they need to perform. There is no fairy dust or snake oil I'm into for any reason. I went down that path decades ago and realized for myself and learning from top engineer's in the business about cables what they do , how they react and why high end cables don't make any performance differences once the actual spec or requirements are met.
The only other reason to have higher end cables is for shielding interference EMI and RF rejection. I don't give a crap about the name brand on the cable. I'm the only one who sees them unless you pull out my rack or look at the cables going to my main channel speakers which are floor standing Definitive Technology Mythos ST Powered Towers.
I started in the 60s. BFD. Why on earth would you need to do so much experimentation with wire?

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I started in the 60s. BFD. Why on earth would you need to do so much experimentation with wire?
I grew up in a Audiophile world who swore on how good brand X cables are and how much of a difference they make and all that. Trust me I get your comments I went down that path and wanted to hear see and test it all for myself. I read all the scientific reasons how a cable works. I also been to countless trainings from B&K, Crestron, Elan, Polk, Sumiko which REL is apart of or was when I went along with Sonos Faber etc.
When I got really into cables I started to believe all the hype and basically just tested cables instead of listening to music or watching movies. I became obsessed with finding " the right mix of cables to make my system sound the best". I believed using cables would "tune" a system to perfection so it would balance out the sound exactly how I wanted it to.
It's a crazy world of wire man let me tell you. I went to a training with Transparent Audio and they where releasing the Opus line of speaker wire. These things looked like vacuum cleaners in-between 3 feet of speaker wire and cost 36k. At that time I was working for a extremely high end company called Soundex in Willow Groove PA. They carried some of the highest end gear money could buy. It was a basic day to install a 1/2 million dollar theater in just equipment alone. So people would buy the extreme Transparent cables thinking that it was needed to support their 120k Wilson Audio speakers and Krell Monoblocks for 7 channel surround systems. It was crazy the amount of money but that didn't phase me. I wanted to know what those speaker wires did, why one needs that high end of a cable, why is there these network devices in the wire and why why why basically peaked me every single day.
When trying to learn about this madness you have to take opinion out of the picture, you wallet especially if you can't afford them which they get way out of hand quickly.
But when I was hanging out in New York with B&K's top engineer's I always asked what cables they use and why. They told me that Kimber Cables are very good high quality cables and perform over and over when they are designing their preamps and amps. Very reliable and they checked out on the scientific side of things. They also told me that the network boxes like MIT and Transparent where bullshit and a huge waste of resources. They understood why those companies put a lot of effort into them but in the end built bullshit products.
Actual Audio Engineers are always thinking outside the box if you will or in their case inside of one. They where trying to build a perfect conductor and came up that those things.
I had Transparent middle of the road cables in my system many years ago when I had Dynaudio speakers and Rotel and B&K gear. I also had Kimber Kable and when I took out the Transparent cables and installed Kimber 8TC speaker wire and HERO Interconnects in-between my CD player and my preamp and amp I really heard a noticeable difference.
So now what I learned over my time is the difference I heard was the Transparent cables filtering out the top end, not performing the signal correctly and basically coloring the sound. Kimber just allowed the signal to pass with using their weaving technology to shield out interferecene and just used high quality materials to do so.
Nothing wrong with Kimber Kable but I have issues with MIT and Transparent . I have issues with most wire companies honestly over my decades of testing them in real world systems not on a bench with a scope or reading posts on the internet of people fighting over this very topic. I have no time to argue about this topic at all but I do enjoy sharing my experiences if someone is willing to listen to my madness LOL.
When I met Ray Kimber I was amazed on how he was not into what most consider snake oil products and wants his cables to perform so anyone using them can enjoy the system they purchased and not worry or have cables cause issues sending signals. He's an experience I'll say that more like Bob Carver on the Doc Emmit Brown way LOL.
So I'm not the guy who is going to go around this forum and preach about how good audioquest cables are and all others suck ass. Your a moron if you use Monoprice or Blue jeans. Thats not for me my man. I'd rather talk about how good ones system is and if you are using mono price or even Transparent which I basically hate I'm not going to call someone out on that or call them a fool or anything like that. Everyone has to learn for themselves what cables do why you need certain levels , meet performance spec's and HDMI cables overall I think has been a train wreck and I really wish we would just use Fiber Optic cabling to transfer digital signals between all digital equipment. I build Fiber Optic cables as well as all other low voltage in home wiring like Coax, Cat 5/6 BNC etc. I find quality cables and proper terminations are key to building a good reliable system. When cables fail the system fails.
My comments about audioquest is the fact they do their jobs properly and are reliable. They also solved some issues we where having in the field with RF interference with IR emitters in a Universal Control system. The Cheaper HDMI cables cause issues and don't perform well.
When I met with HDMI engineers they flat out lied to us. They told us that HDMI either works or it doesn't there is no pink green screen there is no speckles etc. I wanted to whip all these asses because in the field we dealt with all the above issues as I have been installing HDMI since HDMI came our right after DVI.
Improper HDMI cables always where the cause of these issues especially when they got longer. YES I have ran Monoprice and other brand loner HDMI cables only to have to pull them out and replace them with other cables that actually worked. YES I have an issue with Monoprice cables I will not use Install or recommend them to anyone BUT I will also no clown anyone who decides to use them or has them in their system and they work just fine. I just had to many bad experiences with them to ever give them any more of my money I don't care if they where free I don't want them in my house.
Sorry for the long reply LOL.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It's a crazy world of wire man let me tell you. I went to a training with Transparent Audio ...
So now what I learned over my time is the difference I heard was the Transparent cables filtering out the top end, n....
You brought up Transparent Audio. You should read this about them:
http://www.vxm.com/21R.64.html

If those cables roll off the top end, that is a simple measurable parameter. And then it would be a defective design.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I've said over and over again, it's all about terminations. AQ is overpriced and worthless at the 'high end' But for $25 for 'entry level' aq cables, I'll take them time and time again. Compare price to bluejeans (I'll support them all day, but damn they got expensive) monoprice is the same. (Cables built right are pricey, the cheap stuff is just that, cheap, worthless) please bluejeans drop your price point!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I find nothing wrong with having quality cables. I've been using Audioquest since 2004 and never had any issues with them ever. No broken cables and they all perform their jobs. Price is not an issue for me. I prefer to have quality cables in my system over cheap cables. I've experienced issues with cables from mono price and others at that level.
The biggest issue I had when outfitting my entire system in Mono price cables HDMI was the interference I got with my control system ( Universal Remote at that time). My IR emitters would light up and my remote system would not work. I discovered the Mono price HDMI cables leaking interference into my IR emitter cables. I moved the IR emitter cables away from the HDMI cables and the issue would go away.
So I replaced them with Audioquest HDMI cables and the issue was gone.
So performance wise the Audioquest HDMI cables where superior to the Monprice level cables. They are junk trash and I'm not interested in putting junk trash into my fairly nice system.
Just so you know I have been testing cables since the 90's and learned a ton about entry to mid to high end cables. I will agree with you on one point that high end cables can cost a ton of money and yield no benefits after a certain point. I wanted to learn that on my own and not just take anyones word on that as I have talked to and learned from some of the best Engineers in this field.
I get it and have seen first hand cables that cost so much money for no reason other then they can build them and someone will buy them I'm not here to judge anyone on their choices or call them a fool. You don't know me or my back ground so you might want to refrain yourself. But to make a blanket statement as you do is simply wrong. Cheap cables and all the talk about how cables don't matter and fools buy high end cables etc etc etc is nonsense. A cable has a job to do . To get a signal from pint A to Point B. Many cables can do this even cheap ones IF they are built correctly. Termination is so important and so is quality of materials used. But after a certain point you can't make it any better. Cables don't make anything better as many of these high end cable companies claim. Once the goal is achieved nothing more can be done to make anything better. I learned that for myself and learned it from top Engineers in this field. But there is a few other factors that come into play with cables and that is leaking. RF and EMI interference can effect that performance of ones system. If you use cheaply built cables you are introducing interference into surrounding cables. I have found this mostly with HDMI cables and power cables. Better quality power cables don't improve anything over properly built correct gauge cables for the power they need to transfer. But a shielded power cable is great because they don't leak out interference in electromagnetic energy.
I don't give a crap about what audioquest or any of these other high end cables claim their cables do. What I do care about is my system and now it peforms. I spend a lot of money building and rebuilding my system over the decades I'm not about to introduce issues just to save a few bucks because the people on the internet think they know about cables. Most people who talk that nonsense has no personal experience and just likes to shame people who use higher quality cables.
Many of these cable companies audioquest included build entry level cables all the way up to super high end models. I wanted to learn from myself IF keep going up the ladder would yield any performance benefits or shielding benefits which is a perfomance benefit as cables around them can do their jobs without other signals entering in the chain. I can tell you this with HDMI and Digital cables, once the goal is achieved there is nothing more you can do to the cable to make it work any better. I learned this and stopped climbing the ladder.
With audioquest their entry level cables perform at a top level and when you move up you don't see or hear any performance gains. The Forest or Cinnamon level cables are a great solution for just about all system no matter what level they are. I have had higher end models like Chocolate and Carbon and didn't experience anything in my system that warranted going any further. I also had many other brands and levels of HDMI cables in my system and found many differences in other brands not working as they should.
My Last 2 TV's I have used for testing was a Pioneer Elite Kuro 60 inch Plasma and my current Sony 65 inch Z9D so I have quality reference level monitors to test on. Audio wise I have had Pioneer Elite SC models, Rotel , NAD and currently a Sony 5000es receiver so I have also had quality preamps and receivers. Speakers I have had Polk Audio of many levels, Dynaudio, Totem, Velodyne, Focal and currently running Def Tech Mythos Atmos Setup. So for audio I have also had some pretty nice stuff to use to test out cables with.
My cables are a lifetime of trail and error to see how much of this stuff is true and how much is bullshit. Most of it's bullshit but there is some benefits to using better quality cables. You be the judge in your own system what cables you use for your own reasons. I'm not gonna judge you if you use Mono price HDMI or Pure Silver top of the line HDMI cables that in my opinion don't make any performance difference . But if you like them and are willing to spend your money on them cool man.
For some reason people like you think that spreading the gospel and not being payed for it makes it better. In a way, it makes it worse. You just bought into it. Nothing more, no matter how you put it.

None of the reasons, not a single one, in any way implies you should be choosing Audioquest. There is no such performance and no such reliability in Audioquest. None whatsoever.

I never had bulk cables fail (nore do I see what could fail other than connectors and a superbly terminated cable has no good reason ever to go over 50$ a piece and that's the shielded ones).

I've read your posts and here's a shocker; they make absolutely no sense. More accuratelly, they make perfect sense as long as you don't mention the brand or the prices. And such a little escapade is broadly well known as wrapping BS in a pretty celofane.

Reliability – well needed. No SQ improvement – we agree (although I'm officially placing my bets that it's just a matter of time until you admit you heard improvements). Performance – it goes without saying (but it is a simple matter of conducting). Banana's with good contact – what else is there.

Audioquest?! No, no, no, no. Everything you named, including them looking pretty if you like them pretty, all the interconnects, HDMI and speaker cables even for a 11.2 (and there's no such thing as a special subwoofer cable) and choosing a brand name if you had trouble with Monoprice – never over 50$ per cable and many here might say even that's too high. Few members here made their own cables and they never failed.

And here comes your sense of good meassure:

Screenshot (8).png

Next to the price you may notice an abreviation that goes: stck, that's short for Stück which in German means pcs. 14580 euros is close to 17000$. So how about no?!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I don't see any reason to call my cables snake oil.
And there it is. A personal offense and cables are just a proxy. Time and time again. Don't call my cables stupid, stupid. You're the one who is stupid.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
For some reason people like you think that spreading the gospel and not being payed for it makes it better. In a way, it makes it worse. You just bought into it. Nothing more, no matter how you put it.

None of the reasons, not a single one, in any way implies you should be choosing Audioquest. There is no such performance and no such reliability in Audioquest. None whatsoever.

I never had bulk cables fail (nore do I see what could fail other than connectors and a superbly terminated cable has no good reason ever to go over 50$ a piece and that's the shielded ones).

I've read your posts and here's a shocker; they make absolutely no sense. More accuratelly, they make perfect sense as long as you don't mention the brand or the prices. And such a little escapade is broadly well known as wrapping BS in a pretty celofane.

Reliability – well needed. No SQ improvement – we agree (although I'm officially placing my bets that it's just a matter of time until you admit you heard improvements). Performance – it goes without saying (but it is a simple matter of conducting). Banana's with good contact – what else is there.

Audioquest?! No, no, no, no. Everything you named, including them looking pretty if you like them pretty, all the interconnects, HDMI and speaker cables even for a 11.2 (and there's no such thing as a special subwoofer cable) and choosing a brand name if you had trouble with Monoprice – never over 50$ per cable and many here might say even that's too high. Few members here made their own cables and they never failed.

And here comes your sense of good meassure:

View attachment 25666

Next to the price you may notice an abreviation that goes: stck, that's short for Stück which in German means pcs. 14580 euros is close to 17000$. So how about no?!
People like me? I don't get it.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
And there it is. A personal offense and cables are just a proxy. Time and time again. Don't call my cables stupid, stupid. You're the one who is stupid.
Why am I stupid? because I wanted to learn about all this crazy crap? People who are into cables swear how good they are. I wanted to know myself if it was true or not.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Accessories and extended warranties offer the highest profit margin for Best Buy. They're trying to push Audioquest cables on you for their own benefit, not for yours.
Sort of. Generally speaking accessories offer similar mark ups as do other products. The reason they try to sell them is that it is an extra sale. It's called an add-on or upfront item.

Extended warranties is a jackpot as it too is an add-on item but, as you say. there are also longer margins.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
People like me? I don't get it.
@killdozzer is cool but he has yet to adapt the wisdom found in this sage piece of dialogue.

Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be," — she always called me Elwood — "In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

From the award winning movie, Harvey

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis