Audioquest v. Monprice Comparison

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@Johnny2Bad
FYI, I recently ordered a wireless mouse from Monoprice and it cost me around C$5.00 for the shipping. If they had charged me a substantial sum for the shipping, I wouldn't have ordered.
By the way, it is ergonomic, has a USB rechargeable battery and works a lot better than a Microsoft one which had cost me 3 times as much!:D

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24174

Last edited:
L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
It's like those guys who switch up the decals on there cars. If you get the Nissan gtr stickers and put them on a maxima , it will add anywhere from 30hp to 150 hp guaranteed.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
It's like those guys who switch up the decals on there cars. If you get the Nissan gtr stickers and put them on a maxima , it will add anywhere from 30hp to 150 hp guaranteed.
Or you get a nice 'vintage' pontiac fiero and slap on that ferrari body kit. Now we can get halfway through the 1/4 mile before a panel falls off and secret is blown...

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I'm gonna tell you a story of my path of cables in very short and where I am with it today.

Getting into this hobby in the 70's cables where not a factor. Getting awesome speakers and a nice stereo receiver was the way to go. My entire family Shpped at Bryn Mawr Stereo and Video and Yamaha and Polk audio was the key brands. Later Became Denon.
Monster cable came into the picture and when I purchased my first set of analog audio cables and pink Speaker wires I was extremely happy with the results over the shoe string style analog cables and cheap radio shack style 18g speaker wire.
I got into the business in 1999 from being a certified Auto Mechanic for GM and Nissan. This has been my hobby since I was very young and I knew more about audio and video then most of the guys working a Bryn Mawr Stereo where I ended up working as a Installer.
I worked for Soundex which was a extremely high end audio video company who carried the worlds best products like Krell, Dynaudio, Wilson Audio Mark Levinston just to name a few. Wire as always a topic in the Audiophile world and I got sucked in and started a few decade journey of buying high end wire, testing it comparing it etc. I've probably tested more cables then any human without a Electrical Science degree should LOL.
I'm a part of many forums which I started that journey way back when Polk opened one and since then I have ventured into many others, Moderated some of them etc.
Today I'm still in the audio video business as a business owner and a Service Technician for a high end Custom Intergrator.
I discovered audioquest way back in 2003 which I started testing their cables and found some interesting results.
Before you read any further cables play a roll in your system which they have a job to do. Once they can do that aid job correctly nothing more can you improve on. I learned this over my time and spent countless dollars to learn that.
Audioquest builds solid basically worry free cables. In my opinion they are the best in the industry not for just performance but for reliability. I have used just about everything on the market and audioquest has the least failures out of them all.
My entire system is wired in audioquest including the power cables. I like custom power cables so I can get custom lengths and I like the way they look. Do they make a performance difference? Only if they are interfering with cables nearby and causing issues is when a replacement better shielded cables makes a difference.
I use higher end HDMI cables because I have found cheaper HDMI cables cause issues with IR emitters if you have a control system. Audioquest HDMI cables do not interfere with IR emitter cables. So their build quality is better then most other if not all other HDMI cables I have ever used and I have used just about everything under the sun.
Analog cables seem to make small differences when you use high quality ones. They seem to make the connected devices sound their best. I'm no believer that they make anything sound better because I learned they do not. BUT if you have a cable made by someone that said cable can't pass the entire signal correct OR picks UP EMI or RD interference along the way, the better quality cable will be perceived as "SOUNDING BETTER".
I really HATE when people put blanket statement on cables as they don''t matter buy the cheapest ones etc. That might work some of the time but in my experience I have seen cheap cables cause issues. This is the reason to buy better quality cables so the ones you use in your system work to perfection and you get to enjoy all the glory of the system you built. Why allow a cheap cable to pull your system down?
As far as how much you should spend on your cable? I'm not gonna sit here and tell anyone to buy audioquest Monster straight wire Kimber Kable or any other brand. Thats not for me to say unless you as for my opinion on brands I have experience with. But I will tell you not to buy the cheapest cables on the market and tell you they don't matter because they absolutely do. Remember my words here, I'm not telling you high end cables make your system sound better and you need to buy crazy top of the line cables that cost thousands of dollars that do absolutely nothing in your system. What I am telling you is to buy the right cable for the job and of high quality so they last a long time and work exactly as needed.
It's like the LEFT and RIGHT sides need to make their case and WIN the argument because what they believe needs to be true. Not many look at it as what is really is.
Also sorry for the long rant here but I have decades of experience and I'm not one who just read it online I actually have years of experience , went to training and been to many of these wire companies trainings. I have learned from top audio video companies the truth about cables and it really helped me along with my own personal experiences as a professional and hobbyist to learn about cables. It's a huge part of our hobby and I didn't want to just take anyones word on this topic as even in the industry it's all over the place. Engineers usually tell you the truth when you get to know them and cables do make a difference but once the goal is reached there is nothing you can do to a cable to make anything any better.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
... cables play a roll in your system which they have a job to do. Once they can do that aid job correctly nothing more can you improve on. I learned this over my time and spent countless dollars to learn that.
This is the crucial point. There is no benefit to decadence over adequate beyond aesthetics and snob appeal. My problem with AQ is not the quality of their cable, but their snake oil salesmanship. Have you ever read their product descriptions?

The only signal cable in my system over 10 feet is the HDMI projector cable. I went with an unknown budget cable but have never noticed a single video artifact. I don't believe there is any improvement I can achieve beyond good enough.

Well, I take that back. I do have a USB 2.0 hub and 6 meter active extension cable. It's good enough for communication with my miniDSP. *shrug*

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I'm gonna tell you a story of my path of cables in very short and where I am with it today.

Getting into this hobby in the 70's cables where not a factor. Getting awesome speakers and a nice stereo receiver was the way to go. My entire family Shpped at Bryn Mawr Stereo and Video and Yamaha and Polk audio was the key brands. Later Became Denon.
Monster cable came into the picture and when I purchased my first set of analog audio cables and pink Speaker wires I was extremely happy with the results over the shoe string style analog cables and cheap radio shack style 18g speaker wire.
I got into the business in 1999 from being a certified Auto Mechanic for GM and Nissan. This has been my hobby since I was very young and I knew more about audio and video then most of the guys working a Bryn Mawr Stereo where I ended up working as a Installer.
I worked for Soundex which was a extremely high end audio video company who carried the worlds best products like Krell, Dynaudio, Wilson Audio Mark Levinston just to name a few. Wire as always a topic in the Audiophile world and I got sucked in and started a few decade journey of buying high end wire, testing it comparing it etc. I've probably tested more cables then any human without a Electrical Science degree should LOL.
I'm a part of many forums which I started that journey way back when Polk opened one and since then I have ventured into many others, Moderated some of them etc.
Today I'm still in the audio video business as a business owner and a Service Technician for a high end Custom Intergrator.
I discovered audioquest way back in 2003 which I started testing their cables and found some interesting results.
Before you read any further cables play a roll in your system which they have a job to do. Once they can do that aid job correctly nothing more can you improve on. I learned this over my time and spent countless dollars to learn that.
Audioquest builds solid basically worry free cables. In my opinion they are the best in the industry not for just performance but for reliability. I have used just about everything on the market and audioquest has the least failures out of them all.
My entire system is wired in audioquest including the power cables. I like custom power cables so I can get custom lengths and I like the way they look. Do they make a performance difference? Only if they are interfering with cables nearby and causing issues is when a replacement better shielded cables makes a difference.
I use higher end HDMI cables because I have found cheaper HDMI cables cause issues with IR emitters if you have a control system. Audioquest HDMI cables do not interfere with IR emitter cables. So their build quality is better then most other if not all other HDMI cables I have ever used and I have used just about everything under the sun.
Analog cables seem to make small differences when you use high quality ones. They seem to make the connected devices sound their best. I'm no believer that they make anything sound better because I learned they do not. BUT if you have a cable made by someone that said cable can't pass the entire signal correct OR picks UP EMI or RD interference along the way, the better quality cable will be perceived as "SOUNDING BETTER".
I really HATE when people put blanket statement on cables as they don''t matter buy the cheapest ones etc. That might work some of the time but in my experience I have seen cheap cables cause issues. This is the reason to buy better quality cables so the ones you use in your system work to perfection and you get to enjoy all the glory of the system you built. Why allow a cheap cable to pull your system down?
As far as how much you should spend on your cable? I'm not gonna sit here and tell anyone to buy audioquest Monster straight wire Kimber Kable or any other brand. Thats not for me to say unless you as for my opinion on brands I have experience with. But I will tell you not to buy the cheapest cables on the market and tell you they don't matter because they absolutely do. Remember my words here, I'm not telling you high end cables make your system sound better and you need to buy crazy top of the line cables that cost thousands of dollars that do absolutely nothing in your system. What I am telling you is to buy the right cable for the job and of high quality so they last a long time and work exactly as needed.
It's like the LEFT and RIGHT sides need to make their case and WIN the argument because what they believe needs to be true. Not many look at it as what is really is.
Also sorry for the long rant here but I have decades of experience and I'm not one who just read it online I actually have years of experience , went to training and been to many of these wire companies trainings. I have learned from top audio video companies the truth about cables and it really helped me along with my own personal experiences as a professional and hobbyist to learn about cables. It's a huge part of our hobby and I didn't want to just take anyones word on this topic as even in the industry it's all over the place. Engineers usually tell you the truth when you get to know them and cables do make a difference but once the goal is reached there is nothing you can do to a cable to make anything any better.
What model(s) of Audioquest cables do you use?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
My Audioquest cables are worth every penny I paid for them.

(I got them for free.)

(I don't hear any difference between them and any others I've tried.)

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
What model(s) of Audioquest cables do you use?
Hello,
I use a mix of Cinnamon, Chocolate and Carbon HDMI cables.
NRG X power cords
Rocket 44 speaker cable for all my speakers which is a 5.2.2 Atmos system Terminated in audioquest Banana Jacks.
Red River Custom Built Subwoofer cables to my Mythos ST subwoofers
Audioquest Ethernet cables from the D marc in by basement from my Main Managed Switch to my 8 port Switch in my theater equipment rack and all sources are hard wired to the switch. I make custom Ethernet cables from bulk audioquest cat 6.
Mackenzie Analog cables for pre outs for my mono blocks to free up dynamic range from my Sony STRZ5000ES receiver as I run my main speakers in Large. They are Def Tech Mythos ST towers with built in Subwoofers.
I have Marantz MA500 Monoblocks feeding the ST's. This restores the dynamic range I feel I lost when going Atmos. The 5000es is a fantastic receiver but I feel it gets a bit taxed when running 7 channels even though my Mythos speakers are very efficient 8 ohm 93db speakers.
I don't use nothing crazy expensive in my system to my wallet. All my cables do their jobs and I don't have any issues which is always my goal. I want my system to work it's best and I find Audioquest cabling to work very well. I basically stopped using all other brands since 2004 or 5 when I started testing Audioquest cables in my system.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
This is the crucial point. There is no benefit to decadence over adequate beyond aesthetics and snob appeal. My problem with AQ is not the quality of their cable, but their snake oil salesmanship. Have you ever read their product descriptions?

The only signal cable in my system over 10 feet is the HDMI projector cable. I went with an unknown budget cable but have never noticed a single video artifact. I don't believe there is any improvement I can achieve beyond good enough.

Well, I take that back. I do have a USB 2.0 hub and 6 meter active extension cable. It's good enough for communication with my miniDSP. *shrug*
Which is fine my man. I don't frown on anyone who wants to buy pretty cables, they sure look really nice.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Another AudioQuest owner here. I replaced some old Monster speaker and interconnect cables with AQ type 4 speaker cable and Tower interconnects both of which are AQ entry level. Didn't notice much difference with the speaker cables but the interconnects did sound much better. I thinking that was probably due to the Monster cables age and maybe some broken internal wiring from various re cabling. Anyway the AQs did not cost a whole lot and look better than the old cables. Also I bought the shortest lengths which both saved $$ and supposedly optimized performance. So I am satisfied but would not be interested in moving up the product line. Just my own experience and I too started in this hobby when lamp cord was the speaker cable to use rather than the old 22 "speaker wire"
Dave

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some claim the interconnect improvement thing can be had just by removing the rcas from the sockets and reinserting them what with the slightly better contact that might be made due oxidization over time....hard to believe the actual interconnect improved anything unless the old one was having issues (which wouldn't surprise me with Monster, one of the brands I have had bad rcas from).

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
That is great, especially if the cable is mostly visible. ;):)
Yeah the speaker cables are somewhat visible and much better looking than the old monster clear that had turned yellow. And I did get them at a pretty decent price from Audio Advisor. And they are only 6 feet vs the monster's 15 feet which also helps the overall look.
Dave

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Some claim the interconnect improvement thing can be had just by removing the rcas from the sockets and reinserting them what with the slightly better contact that might be made due oxidization over time....hard to believe the actual interconnect improved anything unless the old one was having issues (which wouldn't surprise me with Monster, one of the brands I have had bad rcas from).
Agreed I think those RCAs were defective somehow but the AQs cost less than $25 and appear well made. I am a cable enthusiast in no way but the AQs did make a noticeable difference when run between my NAD cd player and my HK 3400 receiver. So anyway I am done upgrading any cables.
Dave

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure you will really notice a difference but that clear turned yellow sounds like it was pretty fugly. LOL. :)

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Another AudioQuest owner here. I replaced some old Monster speaker and interconnect cables with AQ type 4 speaker cable and Tower interconnects both of which are AQ entry level. Didn't notice much difference with the speaker cables but the interconnects did sound much better. I thinking that was probably due to the Monster cables age and maybe some broken internal wiring from various re cabling. Anyway the AQs did not cost a whole lot and look better than the old cables. Also I bought the shortest lengths which both saved $$ and supposedly optimized performance. So I am satisfied but would not be interested in moving up the product line. Just my own experience and I too started in this hobby when lamp cord was the speaker cable to use rather than the old 22 "speaker wire"
Dave
Audioquest builds proper cables. Their entry level stuff is great and not expensive.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed I think those RCAs were defective somehow but the AQs cost less than $25 and appear well made. I am a cable enthusiast in no way but the AQs did make a noticeable difference when run between my NAD cd player and my HK 3400 receiver. So anyway I am done upgrading any cables.
Dave
Audioquest builds proper cables. Their entry level stuff is great and not expensive.
While they may make a serviceable cable, and you don't mind not getting the fairy dust as they apply to their pricier offerings, I can't stand the thought of supporting a company like Audioquest what with all the bullshit/fairy dust they sell.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Hello,
I use a mix of Cinnamon, Chocolate and Carbon HDMI cables.
NRG X power cords
Rocket 44 speaker cable for all my speakers which is a 5.2.2 Atmos system Terminated in audioquest Banana Jacks.
Red River Custom Built Subwoofer cables to my Mythos ST subwoofers
Audioquest Ethernet cables from the D marc in by basement from my Main Managed Switch to my 8 port Switch in my theater equipment rack and all sources are hard wired to the switch. I make custom Ethernet cables from bulk audioquest cat 6.
Mackenzie Analog cables for pre outs for my mono blocks to free up dynamic range from my Sony STRZ5000ES receiver as I run my main speakers in Large. They are Def Tech Mythos ST towers with built in Subwoofers.
I have Marantz MA500 Monoblocks feeding the ST's. This restores the dynamic range I feel I lost when going Atmos. The 5000es is a fantastic receiver but I feel it gets a bit taxed when running 7 channels even though my Mythos speakers are very efficient 8 ohm 93db speakers.
I don't use nothing crazy expensive in my system to my wallet. All my cables do their jobs and I don't have any issues which is always my goal. I want my system to work it's best and I find Audioquest cabling to work very well. I basically stopped using all other brands since 2004 or 5 when I started testing Audioquest cables in my system.
So you see having 10k to 15k of cables that do absolutely nothing more than a set of cables that would total somewhere around 250$ as a good meassure??

You have been swindled. I understand it's hard to admit. Gather strength and admit it or stay the proverbial fool who parts with his money.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
So you see having 10k to 15k of cables that do absolutely nothing more than a set of cables that would total somewhere around 250$ as a good meassure??

You have been swindled. I understand it's hard to admit. Gather strength and admit it or stay the proverbial fool who parts with his money.
I find nothing wrong with having quality cables. I've been using Audioquest since 2004 and never had any issues with them ever. No broken cables and they all perform their jobs. Price is not an issue for me. I prefer to have quality cables in my system over cheap cables. I've experienced issues with cables from mono price and others at that level.
The biggest issue I had when outfitting my entire system in Mono price cables HDMI was the interference I got with my control system ( Universal Remote at that time). My IR emitters would light up and my remote system would not work. I discovered the Mono price HDMI cables leaking interference into my IR emitter cables. I moved the IR emitter cables away from the HDMI cables and the issue would go away.
So I replaced them with Audioquest HDMI cables and the issue was gone.
So performance wise the Audioquest HDMI cables where superior to the Monprice level cables. They are junk trash and I'm not interested in putting junk trash into my fairly nice system.
Just so you know I have been testing cables since the 90's and learned a ton about entry to mid to high end cables. I will agree with you on one point that high end cables can cost a ton of money and yield no benefits after a certain point. I wanted to learn that on my own and not just take anyones word on that as I have talked to and learned from some of the best Engineers in this field.
I get it and have seen first hand cables that cost so much money for no reason other then they can build them and someone will buy them I'm not here to judge anyone on their choices or call them a fool. You don't know me or my back ground so you might want to refrain yourself. But to make a blanket statement as you do is simply wrong. Cheap cables and all the talk about how cables don't matter and fools buy high end cables etc etc etc is nonsense. A cable has a job to do . To get a signal from pint A to Point B. Many cables can do this even cheap ones IF they are built correctly. Termination is so important and so is quality of materials used. But after a certain point you can't make it any better. Cables don't make anything better as many of these high end cable companies claim. Once the goal is achieved nothing more can be done to make anything better. I learned that for myself and learned it from top Engineers in this field. But there is a few other factors that come into play with cables and that is leaking. RF and EMI interference can effect that performance of ones system. If you use cheaply built cables you are introducing interference into surrounding cables. I have found this mostly with HDMI cables and power cables. Better quality power cables don't improve anything over properly built correct gauge cables for the power they need to transfer. But a shielded power cable is great because they don't leak out interference in electromagnetic energy.
I don't give a crap about what audioquest or any of these other high end cables claim their cables do. What I do care about is my system and now it peforms. I spend a lot of money building and rebuilding my system over the decades I'm not about to introduce issues just to save a few bucks because the people on the internet think they know about cables. Most people who talk that nonsense has no personal experience and just likes to shame people who use higher quality cables.
Many of these cable companies audioquest included build entry level cables all the way up to super high end models. I wanted to learn from myself IF keep going up the ladder would yield any performance benefits or shielding benefits which is a perfomance benefit as cables around them can do their jobs without other signals entering in the chain. I can tell you this with HDMI and Digital cables, once the goal is achieved there is nothing more you can do to the cable to make it work any better. I learned this and stopped climbing the ladder.
With audioquest their entry level cables perform at a top level and when you move up you don't see or hear any performance gains. The Forest or Cinnamon level cables are a great solution for just about all system no matter what level they are. I have had higher end models like Chocolate and Carbon and didn't experience anything in my system that warranted going any further. I also had many other brands and levels of HDMI cables in my system and found many differences in other brands not working as they should.
My Last 2 TV's I have used for testing was a Pioneer Elite Kuro 60 inch Plasma and my current Sony 65 inch Z9D so I have quality reference level monitors to test on. Audio wise I have had Pioneer Elite SC models, Rotel , NAD and currently a Sony 5000es receiver so I have also had quality preamps and receivers. Speakers I have had Polk Audio of many levels, Dynaudio, Totem, Velodyne, Focal and currently running Def Tech Mythos Atmos Setup. So for audio I have also had some pretty nice stuff to use to test out cables with.
My cables are a lifetime of trail and error to see how much of this stuff is true and how much is bullshit. Most of it's bullshit but there is some benefits to using better quality cables. You be the judge in your own system what cables you use for your own reasons. I'm not gonna judge you if you use Mono price HDMI or Pure Silver top of the line HDMI cables that in my opinion don't make any performance difference . But if you like them and are willing to spend your money on them cool man.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis