Audiophile Cable Synergy: Real or Snake Oil?

Is Cable Synergy Real?

• Yes. Cables make or break the sound of a system.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • No. Cable Synergy is snake oil.

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • I go wireless, no cables.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
If you can't produce any scientifically objective proof of your product doing what you claim, it's most likely (99%) total crap.

Have you ever notice that no one tries to promote this type of lunacy for video products (HDMI cables excepted)?

tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
"... Double blind as you know it doesn’t work, a subject I’d be happy to elaborate on at some other time. But, blind measurements are a must."
I'm not sure why double blind doesn't work? It works with loudspeakers, audio codecs. and other components so why not cables? If you designed a mechanical device that switched the cables in a random order in each trial ( so the experimenter wasn't controlling the test ) that would be double blind and solve the problem.

Cheers
Sean

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
"... Double blind as you know it doesn’t work, a subject I’d be happy to elaborate on at some other time. But, blind measurements are a must."

I'm not sure why double blind doesn't work? It works with loudspeakers, audio codecs. and other components so why not cables? If you designed a mechanical device that switched the cables in a random order in each trial ( so the experimenter wasn't controlling the test ) that would be double blind and solve the problem.

Cheers
Sean
Great to see you back, even for a post. :)

I am also not sure why it would not work but have a feeling why the original statement though.;)
Truth hurts, doesn't like results. :D

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Is there an editing problem in post #42?
Is it a quote
Then a response to that quote?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sad Day for ps audio,surely a slimy money grab!!!!
A lot of these guys are true believers in their own sales pitch. They might be selling a delusion, but at least some of them are sincere.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A lot of these guys are true believers in their own sales pitch. They might be selling a delusion, but at least some of them are sincere.
And I believe this to be the case with Paul and his son, tho I also believe this partnering has more to do with profit synergy than sound reproduction.

I'll most likely never buy a piece of gear from PS Audio and I disagree with a lot of his cable nonsense, but damnit. Watch his videos and you can't help but like the guy, and despite it all he does have a ton of legit experience and knows his stuff. He does always say "speakers first" before cables or anything else, which is in line with advice we usually give here. After speakers is where there's a huge disconnect, lol.

H

HT Tweeker

Enthusiast
People stupid enough the pay thousands of dollars on this poop deserve to be soaked. Cable quality matters to the point where the electrons can flow with the least amount impedance, which doesn’t cost that much to accomplish.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

People stupid enough the pay thousands of dollars on this poop deserve to be soaked. Cable quality matters to the point where the electrons can flow with the least amount impedance, which doesn’t cost that much to accomplish.
Well, it could cost a lot to get way, way closer to 0 Ohms. ;) :)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Paul is really a great person and truly believes he hears a difference. Meeting him in person was almost as incredible as hearing his listening room!!!

not sure the cables made the difference but his knowledge on setting up everything was amazing.

I use kimber for my speaker wire, audioquest carbon and vodka hdmi, kimber for interconnects and also some cheaper cables. Few things that are always interesting to me is that I can buy kimber or AQ cheap from local dealers. Later on I even sell on eBay for more than I paid. When I buy bulk wire or cheap cables I still spend $200-400 to finish theaters I set up, and those cables are worthless and really throw aways.

So I’m not really sure what’s a bigger waste of money. I do know that AQ customer support is top notch. Last year I had two older vodka 2m hdmi that weren’t working on hdr 4k content. I called AQ and paid for shipping to them and two days later they called me and said my cables were too old. Which they were 10 years old, but their policy was to upgrade them to newest version and recycle my old ones. Few days later I had two new cables with a tshirt. They asked for no receipt or any proof, but they did mention that if it’s a counterfeit AQ cable they’ll confiscate it and not be able to help.

Looks like if you spend $100 on hdmi cable you’ll never have to buy another. Seems like my other rooms Monoprice 4k certified cables are working well too but they seem to go out after so many hours, but for $5-10 I understand.

Paul and Gene are both great family men and people in general. A open debate would solve nothing and push people back further. I always go with do what makes you happy, and stay there. Healthy discussion is always fine but it becomes too personal at times. People talking down to others or trying to prove they know more. In reality we don’t know what someone hears or feels. I’m sure gene likes his kimber as much as I like mine. Rbh even loves to wire with kimber internally. Which running less than 24” in a cabinet would serve no purpose unless rbh felt it made a difference or carried perceived value. Either way enjoy, and I’m very happy gene is feeling better. My Mom, brother, nephews and cousin all have COVID-19 right now. So it’s a battle that is actually getting worse not better.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Paul McGowan is someone that would be fine to have a beer with, but with the recent measurements of some of his gear objectively leaves much to be desired and it out classed by DAC's in the $200 to $300 range I wouldn't purchase anything of his.

jinjuku

jinjuku

not sure the cables made the difference but his knowledge on setting up everything was amazing.
Paul's not doing anything different then any other technically minded individual to get a great sounding setup.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Years ago at a show Wilson Audio optimized a conference room as much as they could and hid the fact they were sourcing the play back system with an iPhone.

A

Arthur Watson

Enthusiast
Over my long life with HiFi, I have tried cables at £80 meter, down to £2.99 meter, everyday cheap speaker wire, and most things in-between, and personally, I hear very little difference, but if other people can, then, who am I to criticise.

G

Gary G.

Audiophyte
Dear lord, you all should visit The Absolute Sound /Hi Fi + websites for a true load of absolute BS. No pun intended. BTW, I am very happy with my total rewiring of my sound system with Blue Jeans Cable. The replaced Kimber, AQ and other high-end cables can be found at your local Goodwill! (We moved and needed different runs of cable as per our room size, etc.)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

...but if other people can, then, who am I to criticise.
That is the question that we are looking for answers to. Is that perception real or placebo effect?
One can like a cable of their choice for whatever reason. When testable claims are made though many of us here challenge that claim. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
but if other people can, then, who am I to criticise.
That is the question that we are looking for answers to. Is that perception real or placebo effect?
One can like a cable of their choice for whatever reason. When testable claims are made though many of us here challenge that claim. :)
I'm gonna lay this to rest for once and all...
I'm going to remove all my cabling, dress them up in jackets and pants... then reinstall them... but when I reinstall them, I'll blindfold myself so I can't tell...

And then I'll listen and share what I think...

:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hmmm...

On second thought, maybe not. :)

It's probably better to just know that there really isn't an audible difference in most cabling.

I do accept and appreciate that Gene found a measurable difference in the Kimbers, at least! :D

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I'm gonna lay this to rest for once and all...
I'm going to remove all my cabling, dress them up in jackets and pants... then reinstall them... but when I reinstall them, I'll blindfold myself so I can't tell...

And then I'll listen and share what I think...

:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hmmm...

On second thought, maybe not. :)

It's probably better to just know that there really isn't an audible difference in most cabling.

I do accept and appreciate that Gene found a measurable difference in the Kimbers, at least! :D
I’d like to get some well made great looking cables to help me enjoy the music better but not because they do anything for sound quality. If music can elicit an emotional response than adding to the aesthetics can also help you enjoy the music more.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis